• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got my Appointment with the gun board

CharleyMarbles

Ok so I got my appointment with the gun board for rights reinstatement. Any one have any ideas as to what I might want to make sure I take with me besides the statutes?

FreeInAZ

Gun boards vary wildly from county to county in MI. I'm not sure how the gun board for Genesee county conducts their business but if it's really important to you that you get a fair hearing, you might want to consult with a lawyer. Having Flint under their supervision may have made them jaded to say the least. I hope their not as bat crap crazy as the Wayne County gun board is?

Dean Greenblatt is a accomplished attorney in the field of gun law in MI. He's out of Oakland County. Might be worth a phone consultation? 248-644-7520

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Ok CharleyM - I read your original thread here about how you lost your rights. You will need documents from the court & or police. I strongly urge you to speak with an attorney.

Last edited:

CharleyMarbles

As I read the statutes I shouldn't even have to go before the board. As my felony is not a specified felony I should be in the clear. How ever when I went to the firearms office at the sheriff's office to inquire I was told to " go over to gander and have them run my name"??? This is wrong as IF I am still disabled it would be an additional felony to attempt to purchase. This is the only reason I am going to the board as the law is clear on an unspecified felony the term is 3 years after completion of all punishments. Only specified felons need to go before the board and after a term of 5 years after completion.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-224f

Am I reading the statutes wrong? This is not condensation this is me honestly asking if I am possibly missing something???

CharleyMarbles

Sorry my last post may have been unclear. My reason for going before the board is primarily to get my rights restored. How ever I really want to address the issue with the people who are SUPPOSED to be helping actually endangering people thru misinformation. If by chance I am unsuccessful in my bid to get my rights restored but can correct the other issue I will still be able to consider it a win. And will be happy to hopefully have been able to save someone else from getting jammed up going forward.

FreeInAZ

Charley GB often don't follow the law. For your sake I hope they do. They seem to do a better job at it when they see a lawyer with you.

Good luck, I suspect you're going to need it.

Jared

Also a GB cannot restore your right to own firearms. They can only approve or deny you the "privilege" of carrying a handgun concealed in MI. If I am correct they will surely deny you? They will also remember you wasting their time, should you be able to get your rights restored in the future to own, then need to appear before them in the future for a permit to conceal.

I hope I'm wrong, a quick call to a lawyer should be able to confirm if I am or not.

County Gun Boards in Michigan can restore firearms rights in Michigan. That is one of their three functions. He is choosing the correct venue. They also may issue gas ejecting weapon devices as per 28.426.

Starting in December when gun boards are eliminated. People can petition the circuit court to have their gun rights restored.

FreeInAZ

Thanks for your wisdom Jared apparently my MI knowledge has faded quickly in the past couple of years. Doh! I was trying to help but will delete my post as to not misinform others who maybe in the same boat as Charley. Please delete the quote in your post.

Well at least I got Deans phone # right, I hope.

Thanks again for the help kind sir. Hope all is well for you & yours. If your are ever back in the land of "sun & guns" , give me a call & dinner is on me!

Last edited: