• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

F.N.G. living in Hampton

bart98stang

Good evening everyone. Just purchased my first pistol (Taurus 140G2SS) this past weekend at the SGK show at the Hampton Roads Convention Center. Been wanting a firearm for quite some time now and I finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended). I've been in the military for 19 yrs so I've shot anything from a Beretta M9 to Bushmaster 25mm but never owned one but before I open carry I need to figure out which holster I need and holy crap there are so many!! :banghead:

I've been checking around the Hampton Roads thread and I'm getting an idea of who's OC friendly. Also, been seeing a lot of suggestions to check out VCDL website also. I really don't post a lot as I'm sure any questions that I do have has been asked many many times already. Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to learning something new.

2a4all

Welcome to OCDO, Chief.

You'll find we're a friendly bunch, even though we poke and jab at each other from time to time.

You'll also find that the area is OC friendly for the most part, but there are a few merchants who disallow carry in their facilities. Patrick Henry Mall is an OC No-No as is the Mariners Museum, Toys & Babies R-US (a corporate thing). The general public seems oblivious to it, but on occasion some will notice favorably. Law Enforcement is very aware of the right to OC in Virginia. Most restaurants are OK with it also. I've never been turned away.

I would strongly encourage you to join VCDL. (As an Executive Member, I'd be remiss if I didn't.) My wife & I worked the VCDL table at the show this past weekend. Sorry we didn't get to meet you.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO, even if you are nothing but a glorified taxi driver.

FNG. :banana: :lol: :monkey :shocker:

I've had active-duty folks ask what "Former FNG" means - it's embroidered on the front of my cap. Your use of the term is an indication that you may be a candidate for the Oulde Pharts Club.

But don't worry, it's very unlikely anybody will try to send you out for a drop leg (no, not the holster, the actual leg) or a rifling twist straightener.

About that VCDL thing - it is the organization that the public and the politicians recognize as the gun rights grass roots organization in the Commonwealth. Membership - or just subscribing to the VA-ALERTS - is what the organization uses to tell folks how many votes it influences. Become a number.

In closing - it's a scientifically documented fact that if you do not have a box/plastic tote/drawer full of holsters you bought but never use you cannot be a real gun person.:uhoh: What hurts is when you are like me and "collect" the odd-ball guns - there is almost no chance of trying to foist them off on someone else as a demonstration of your generosity and carrying things forward.

Feel free to ask questions - we may comment on that having been asked and answered 97,817,632.5 times already but more than likely you will still get a bunch of responses proving that the person who posted just before the latest poster is completely wrong.

stay safe.

hafnhaf

welcome to the group!

most folks will say to get a holster with some type of retention besides just friction. i use a simple leather holster with a thumb break. i also have a kydex holster with a push button release for a different gun. tons of choices! enjoy the quest...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome and what Skidmark said.
Go holster shopping. Unload before you go in the store and tell the sales person your holster shopping, let him verify it's unloaded...then try a few out.
Get one thar comfortable and secure.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
... and what Skidmark said.

peter -

The reason you cannot find a buyer for the holsters you do not use is because nobody else OCs crew-served weapons.:p

(Yes, Big Guns Save Lives. But don't you need at least a waterfowl stamp for carrying that LeMat?)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
peter -

The reason you cannot find a buyer for the holsters you do not use is because nobody else OCs crew-served weapons.:p

(Yes, Big Guns Save Lives. But don't you need at least a waterfowl stamp for carrying that LeMat?)

stay safe.

As a landowner I'm exempt from licensing. ...but suspenders are required.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was an FNG a long time ago, before the ice receded.

Now you've done it! We'll start hearing from the folks who only had molten lava and were glad to have that. Fortunately there are few of us who remember when the light was added. (And I voted against that!)

stay safe.

Thundar

Welcome and what Skidmark said.
Go holster shopping. Unload before you go in the store and tell the sales person your holster shopping, let him verify it's unloaded...then try a few out.
Get one thar comfortable and secure.

Welcome!

When holster shopping most people do not take the time needed to select the right holster. Bring your carry belt and put potential holsters on your hip. Draw and holster your handgun many times. Make sure the draw is smooth with no potential obstructions. Walk around with the holster and sit down in a chair with the holster. Make sure that you are comfortable and that the holster and gun do not rub or sit in an awkward and uncomfortable position.

Last edited:

solus

Welcome!

When holster shopping most people do not take the time needed to select the right holster. Bring your carry belt and put potential holsters on your hip. Draw and holster your handgun many times. Make sure the draw is smooth with no potential obstructions. Walk around with the holster and sit down in a chair with the holster. Make sure that you are comfortable and that the holster and gun do not rub or sit in an awkward and uncomfortable position.

Thundar, (or anybody else who follows this advice) please, oh please, give me advance notice when you plan your next visit to Gander, Dick's, Cabelas, etc., and plan to accomplish the routine described above as i want to sell tickets so folk can watch store customer's as well as employees' reaction(s).

hey, what, give me a break as P.T. was my childhood hero, so why not capitalize on poster's antics and make a buck or two??? should provide enough for bail!!

ipse

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Welcome!

Despite Solus' snarky reply, I find Thundar's suggestion worthwhile, so long as you have demonstrated to the store staff's satisfaction that your firearm is unloaded. The store I visit most often is Virginia Arms in Manassas, and they have avoided the problem by having many different models of "blue guns" available to use to try out fit, form and functionality of a given model-specific holster. They don't have every model available, but do provide many of the most popular handgun models, and the staff is most accommodating.

solus

Despite Solus' snarky reply, I find Thundar's suggestion worthwhile, so long as you have demonstrated to the store staff's satisfaction that your firearm is unloaded. The store I visit most often is Virginia Arms in Manassas, and they have avoided the problem by having many different models of "blue guns" available to use to try out fit, form and functionality of a given model-specific holster. They don't have every model available, but do provide many of the most popular handgun models, and the staff is most accommodating.

I'm hurt...snarky...?

but I do notice you put in your own caveats re thundar's guidance '...so long as...' and while I appreciate you pointing out the non- bigbox firearm venue who's management/owners appropriately caters ONLY to firearm sales to fulfill holster purchases (profit center $$$) and therefore changed thundar's guidance to OCOD's readership!

My lighthearted response was posted to hopefully lead some reader to rethink walking into a commercial box sporting goods store in their neighbourhood and attempt, out of the blue, to try the store's holsters w/their own firearm (which we all know and trust are completely unloaded) and continuing to draw numerous times pointing their firearm heaven knows where, much to the chagrin of nearby customers and employees alike.

so thundar's guidance is worthwhile...really james...perhaps in your unique local firearm boutique which has taken the forethought, to provide for more money in their coffers, by providing blue guns for their customers to use while the customer is seeking an appropriate holster. However, JQPublic looking for holsters in the general sporting goods stores bringing their own firearms trying on the store's holsters and to practice drawing numerous times sounds down right scary.

now that this a snarky post mate!!

ipse

bart98stang

My original thread was to introduce myself to the group as a new gun owner and to learn about open and concealed carrying within our Commonwealth and if I would've thought that it would end up as a pi$$ing contest I never would've posted the thread in the first place...... So please do the rest of us a favor and discuss your opinions of big box stores and boutiques and disagreements on how to shop between yourselves. Whether I want to buy my firearm accessories at Bass Pro in Hampton or Bobs Guns in Norfolk is my right just as I have the right to carry a pistol. Thank you.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

My original thread was to introduce myself to the group as a new gun owner and to learn about open and concealed carrying within our Commonwealth and if I would've thought that it would end up as a pi$$ing contest I never would've posted the thread in the first place...... So please do the rest of us a favor and discuss your opinions of big box stores and boutiques and disagreements on how to shop between yourselves. Whether I want to buy my firearm accessories at Bass Pro in Hampton or Bobs Guns in Norfolk is my right just as I have the right to carry a pistol. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here.

You also stated you wanted to learn something new. If you don't want input oh the best way to set up a system for carry, including shopping for the right holster, they make sure to include that. It looks to me that some members here wanted to impart wisdom borne of (likely) boxes of unused holsters, a few wisecracks (and funny at that) ones were made, and that's it. Not sure where the problem is.

I don't see the above as a ******* match- if you do, some of the threads in this forum would REALLY shock you.

Last edited:

solus

Yes mate you are correct...i forgot my manners...welcome...

now let's see how to adequately address your criticism expressed in your second post...
1. pi&&'g contest or dizzagrements...naw'lll mate, this is just a bunch of us goode~olde boy's discuss'g your question so you get the bestest possible lear'n to make the mostest informed answer so you can make a viable choice to satisfy your quest ~ for the moment!
2. i guess i missed the post where members told you where to shop.
3. now if you wish to take one member's suggestion you could go into bass pro and put their holsters on and draw from them in the store. please carry on mate!
4. reflecting on your first post (forgive the paraphrasing) while injecting a bit of humor: "I finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended)"
a. you just purchased your first pistol ~ congratulations?
b. "...I open carry I need to figure out which holster I need and holy crap there are so many!!"

you came here for a viable answer...unfortunately, it is like asking which firearm is better for OC'g, or compare fords and chevys, ad nausum...

finally, your comment as you closed your first post... "Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to learning something new." well mate, the readers have in fact imparted new information to you for you to use on how to chose a holster and provided info where to shop for said holster!

that you seem to have such a closed mind to fail to learn the lesson because you are apparently so structured to ignore a different learning style is not this membership's fault, is it mate?

the material presented throughout this forum by this membership's readers is the best in the country, tho, at times eccentric which needs reigning in by common sense or prevailing knowledge via other member's comments, thus the commentary.

i liken these discussions you call pizzing contests, to being similar to discussions amongst service members in shore bars about which service is better. ya know mate, there is some talk the air force is significantly better than the other services, including the navy. some say, eh?

guess the choice is up to you, isn't it...walk away from the best minds in the country providing you info or going to bass pro and ask the counter man to help!!

ipse

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Uh...Bart, that wasn't a whizzing match. It was advice plus personal opinion and a pinch of good humored ribbing.
We do have pi $$ing contests from time to time and there is no mistaking them.

If you see the term P4P. ..get some popcorn. I of course, am always the voice of reason.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Good evening everyone. Just purchased my first pistol (Taurus 140G2SS) this past weekend at the SGK show at the Hampton Roads Convention Center. Been wanting a firearm for quite some time now and I finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended). I've been in the military for 19 yrs so I've shot anything from a Beretta M9 to Bushmaster 25mm but never owned one but before I open carry I need to figure out which holster I need and holy crap there are so many!! :banghead:

Going back to your OP -

carry lefty or righty?
carry 12-3/12-9 o'clock as opposed to 3-6/6/9 o'clock?
high vs mid vs low rise?
speed cut vs full coverage?
what level of retention do you want? Now there's whole separate can of worms.
actual belt loops/paddle/molded cutouts?
2-slot or3 slot?
what cant?
plastic vs carbon fiber vs kydex vs cowhide vs horsehide vs hybrid vs exotic skin?
full exotic or cutout?
cordovan vs clarino?
boned or not?
stampted or carved or plain?
open bottom vs closed bottom?
lined vs unlined?
smooth leather vs suede?
brown vs. black vs mahogany vs oxblood?

Seriously, how can you expect us to make a recommendation if we have no idea what you are looking for?

stay safe.

solus

Uh...Bart, that wasn't a whizzing match. It was advice plus personal opinion and a pinch of good humored ribbing.
We do have pi $$ing contests from time to time and there is no mistaking them.

If you see the term P4P. ..get some popcorn. I of course, am always the voice of reason.

looking for a corner in a round room so i can hurl in a corner...but of course you are peter!!! :uhoh:

skid, you forgot to mention down the front of the pants concept where perhaps lefty/righty concepts might come into the scheme of things.

ipse

Last edited:

bart98stang

Yes mate you are correct...i forgot my manners...welcome...

now let's see how to adequately address your criticism expressed in your second post...
1. pi&&'g contest or dizzagrements...naw'lll mate, this is just a bunch of us goode~olde boy's discuss'g your question so you get the bestest possible lear'n to make the mostest informed answer so you can make a viable choice to satisfy your quest ~ for the moment!
2. i guess i missed the post where members told you where to shop.
3. now if you wish to take one member's suggestion you could go into bass pro and put their holsters on and draw from them in the store. please carry on mate!
4. reflecting on your first post (forgive the paraphrasing) while injecting a bit of humor: "I finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended)"
a. you just purchased your first pistol ~ congratulations?
b. "...I open carry I need to figure out which holster I need and holy crap there are so many!!"

you came here for a viable answer...unfortunately, it is like asking which firearm is better for OC'g, or compare fords and chevys, ad nausum...

finally, your comment as you closed your first post... "Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to learning something new." well mate, the readers have in fact imparted new information to you for you to use on how to chose a holster and provided info where to shop for said holster!

that you seem to have such a closed mind to fail to learn the lesson because you are apparently so structured to ignore a different learning style is not this membership's fault, is it mate?

the material presented throughout this forum by this membership's readers is the best in the country, tho, at times eccentric which needs reigning in by common sense or prevailing knowledge via other member's comments, thus the commentary.

i liken these discussions you call pizzing contests, to being similar to discussions amongst service members in shore bars about which service is better. ya know mate, there is some talk the air force is significantly better than the other services, including the navy. some say, eh?

guess the choice is up to you, isn't it...walk away from the best minds in the country providing you info or going to bass pro and ask the counter man to help!!

ipse

solus, first off thank you for the warm welcome. It seems from the rambling, over explanation of my op I may have upset you and I apologize. I can be harsh and blunt and sometimes I forget how overly sensitive our society is now. As a newbie and for all the great minds out there I welcome your knowledge, advice and counsel.