• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

F.N.G. living in Hampton

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
looking for a corner in a round room so i can hurl in a corner...but of course you are peter!!! :uhoh:

skid, you forgot to mention down the front of the pants concept where perhaps lefty/righty concepts might come into the scheme of things.

ipse

I'm just covering OC. The other thing has fora dedicated to being afraid of your shadow.:D

stay safe.

bart98stang

Going back to your OP -

carry lefty or righty?
carry 12-3/12-9 o'clock as opposed to 3-6/6/9 o'clock?
high vs mid vs low rise?
speed cut vs full coverage?
what level of retention do you want? Now there's whole separate can of worms.
actual belt loops/paddle/molded cutouts?
2-slot or3 slot?
what cant?
plastic vs carbon fiber vs kydex vs cowhide vs horsehide vs hybrid vs exotic skin?
full exotic or cutout?
cordovan vs clarino?
boned or not?
stampted or carved or plain?
open bottom vs closed bottom?
lined vs unlined?
smooth leather vs suede?
brown vs. black vs mahogany vs oxblood?

Seriously, how can you expect us to make a recommendation if we have no idea what you are looking for?

stay safe.

Skid, thank you I really do appreciate it. Please keep in mind I'm just a noob and I don't know much about holsters let alone everything you asked above as most of us didn't either when we first started so please bear with me :). I will carry on my right and I did purchase just a cheap nylon holster and after wearing the weapon fully loaded I feel the most comfortable with it being directly on my hip clipped to my belt.

My biggest concern is that if I'm OCing somebody will come up behind me and take my weapon out of my holster. What is a good quality brand? I will research the details you asked above, make a decision what would be the best for me along with any advice you guys can provide and will purchase the right holster for me. Again, thank you.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skid, thank you I really do appreciate it. Please keep in mind I'm just a noob and I don't know much about holsters let alone everything you asked above as most of us didn't either when we first started so please bear with me :). I will carry on my right and I did purchase just a cheap nylon holster

Nononononono!!!!!eleventy! Too many problems with cheap nylon, beginning with they tend to collapse making it difficult/impossible to reholster one-handed.

and after wearing the weapon fully loaded I feel the most comfortable with it being directly on my hip

As opposed to under your arm? On your ankle? In your murse?

With your belly button as 12 and working your way clockwise, just precisely, exactly where on your hip?

clipped to my belt.

I had completely forgotten aabout spring steel clips!

How much taller is the opening than your belt? How much wider is the opening than the thickness of your belt? (Please see entire treatise on gunbelts that may or may not follow, depending if you will not Google that morass yourself.)

My biggest concern is that if I'm OCing somebody will come up behind me and take my weapon out of my holster.

Why, oh why is everybody so much more afraid of that happening than of dropping their gun and having it get scratched?

There is an either real or fictional (depending on if you ask me or Grapeshot) reward for documentation of an OCer being targeted for a gun grab because they were OCing. That reward has been out there, unclaimed, for at least a decade.

What is a good quality brand?

Oh, no! I'm not falling into that trap! If it could be narrowed down to a true short list it wouuld put all the other holster makers on the unemployment line and crush their individual legions of faithful fanbois.

I will research the details you asked above, make a decision what would be the best for me along with any advice you guys can provide and will purchase the right holster for me. Again, thank you.

The right holster for you? Can I come and watch you pick it out the first time up at bat? How/why do you think some of us have boxes full of holsters? (That vibration you feel is me trying to catch my breath as I'm rolling on the ground laughing my head off.)

There is most likely no one right holster - what you will end up with is one that after experimentation and experience you believe meets more of your gotta/oughta have crteria than any of the others out there. Sometimes I am convinced that the Holy Grail is really a handgun holster and we are all involved in weeding out all the fakes, phoneys, and imitations.

If you can't be handsome at least be handy. Keep your stick on the ice. We're all pulling for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg

stay safe.

wrearick

As you undoubtedly realize by this point, people knowledgeable on a subject tend to have an opinion on the subject. Get more than one knowledgeable person together on a subjective subject and chances are their opinions will differ.

That said, I carry outside the waistband at the 3 o'clock position with a slight (10-15 degree) forward cant. I use a Blackhawk serpa retention holster .

You mentioned Bob's gun shop so you may be familiar with Superior pawn and gun. Since my EDC is not a major brand (SCCY) I needed to find a compatible holster that worked and Superior had no problem with me opening packages, trying the pistol in the holster for fit and retention and packaging back up the ones that didn't work.

While no one has claimed the reward for someone grabbing an OCer's firearm from a holster I too am aware/cautious when someone approaches from behind (When driving on the highways in tidewater I always seem to attract the idiots doing stupid things I worry that it might carry over to other parts of my daily life). Carrying at the 3 o'clock position I have two "precautions" I employ in a close encounter situation.
1. pressing down on the backstap of the firearm preventing someone from getting a hand on the grip without first moving my elbow
2. using the inside of my elbow/arm to press the grip firmly into my side. This also blocks access to the grip without having to move my arm out of the way first.

In my mind one can never have "too much" control over one's firearm, so even though it is probably not necessary, I am more comfortable taking these precautions.

Welcome to the forum.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As you undoubtedly realize by this point, people knowledgeable on a subject tend to have an opinion on the subject.
In my mind one can never have "too much" control over one's firearm, so even though it is probably not necessary, I am more comfortable taking these precautions.

Welcome to the forum.

But is your holster "the right" one or just one that meets your needs? [/snark]

I hope I have not driven Bart98stang away.

stay safe.

solus

oh and bart...all of skid's considerations for holsters are correct but he left out a biggie...

what are you willing to $$$$$ for your holster which is holding your self defence firearm??

I have seen folk whose exotic leather holster cost more then the firearm it is holding and seen 2k$+ firearms in cheepy nylon pieces of crap ~ won't mention the 35$ holsters I am referring to...

bottom line, you have a 'tool' for your self defence, how you wish to transport it is completely up to your discretion...know this tho, all of us have collections of holsters from years of seeking just the right rig to hold our precious firearm so we can readily access it in a time of emergency.

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
....know this tho, all of us have collections of holsters from years of seeking just the right rig to hold our precious firearm so we can readily access it in a time of emergency.

ipse

It is not a collection.

It is a warehouse waiting for me to get off my backside and get the business license and open up the second-hand store. :p

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Lol I'll send ya a couple to add to the coll...er...inventory!

a) you pay the shipping

b) it would be nice if you had some stuff that fit the guns I actually have.:D (Yes, I have found holsters for handguns that have gone to other owners, and no I do not remember who they were.:uhoh: )

stay safe.

The Wolfhound

The perfect holster

Does not exist. OC or CC? Belt or Pocket? Office gun or Barbeque gun? Why is it when I carry a firearm because I want options when situations get unpleasant, that I should limit myself to my holster options?

solus

skid, to assist you in your new found enterprise, my contribution, per your request ~ shipping has been paid, to your holster collection, er business, is set to arrive the evening of the 25th @ 3044 Stony Point Road, i have asked for signature, so please be kind enough to acknowledge it.

thanks for taking my excessive items off my hands and hope you can make some use, er $$$!

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
skid, to assist you in your new found enterprise, my contribution, per your request ~ shipping has been paid, to your holster collection, er business, is set to arrive the evening of the 25th @ 3044 Stony Point Road, i have asked for signature, so please be kind enough to acknowledge it.

thanks for taking my excessive items off my hands and hope you can make some use, er $$$!

ipse

Maybe you can 1) read that thread again to get the correct date, and 2) work it out with your shipper to change the delivery date.

Honestly, trying to get good help gets harder and harder all the time. HR will be contacting you regarding the corrective actions you will need to complete if you wish to remain employed as a minion.

stay safe.

b0neZ

ipse

Maybe you can 1) read that thread again to get the correct date, and 2) work it out with your shipper to change the delivery date.

Honestly, trying to get good help gets harder and harder all the time. HR will be contacting you regarding the corrective actions you will need to complete if you wish to remain employed as a minion.

stay safe.

Skid, in rereading the post, solus never said which month...

solus

skid, my eye/hand coordination isn't what it used to be...

while dealing w/HR i will present my partition for unionization consideration of your newly founded organization...

and it seems the Nevada branch union rep is already behind me...

minion...whah hoooo a promotion...i so deserve this promotion....the extra money will come in handy to buy my mare leg...thanks

ipse
minion extraordinaire
skid enterprises...

like the sound of that...

ps: like most things in life skid...you won't see my shipper coming until the package is in your hands...:shocker:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skid, in rereading the post, solus never said which month...

In what month will the second Tuesday of the month fall on the 25th?

Not that I do not frequent Benny's outside of the OC dinners but if Solus is able to see the future and know when I will be dining at Benny's then he also ought to be able to see into the future and tell me what the winning lottery numbers will be - and the specific sequence of the numbers, and then give me that information ahead of the drawing.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
s

ps: like most things in life skid...you won't see my shipper coming until the package is in your hands...:shocker:

Since your shipper will be delivering to Benny's they will be the ones signing for the delivery - or more likely rejecting the package.

(Notice I only suggested changing the delivery date. Never said anything about changing the delivery address. If you are desiring to do that, use 1060 W. Addison.

stay safe.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Since your shipper will be delivering to Benny's they will be the ones signing for the delivery - or more likely rejecting the package.

(Notice I only suggested changing the delivery date. Never said anything about changing the delivery address. If you are desiring to do that, use 1060 W. Addison.

stay safe.

You could be a little bit more specific,,,, What position??