Thread: Safety people, SAFETY!

Safety people, SAFETY!

I am still in shock over this video. I can find few words to express my shock.

It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Incredible...

It's EVERYONE's responsibility to make certain that the range is clear and declared 'hot' before a shooting event takes place, but with the screens in place on this range, it would take an RSO to survey the area beyond the screens before declaring the range 'hot.' SMH... and glad that no one downrange was hit.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

oh sh!t. pucker factor just went WAY up!

There is discussion about this all over the interwebz. Quite a bit of that discussion is about how much the games are slowed down by having to wait for the RSO to a) round up all the pasters and herd them, along with the shooter, through the course, and b) then verifying that everyone who went downrange is accounted for as behind the firing line before declaring the range hot.

Very little discussion about the behavior of the paster when he suddenly notices he is in front of a hot shooter, or of the RSO when he notices the paster in front of the shooter. Lots of "WTF' and "Huh?" but not one "Cease Fire!" with appropriate touching to gain the shooter's attention, and that paster remained vertical throughout. (Did he get so wrapped up in the game that he actually thought tose screens were in fact "cover"?)

Can't run the ranges fast enough to get everybody through" Issue refunds or add a day. A lot less trouble than explaining to the club attorney why the insurance coverage is less that the liquidated value of the club.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

well, gee, Bob. did you think to get on your hands and knees to see if you could see anyone down range?

No need to do that, just should have done a sweep from the back of the bay to the front.

I'm SO in a lot of IDPA matches and if there are vision barriers that I can't see past, I start at the back of the bay and move forward to verify it's clear, it only takes a few seconds, and since I have the timer it's not like they can start without me.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Wow that is really a scary mistake. Crazy to think how easily the paster could have been hit.

Need a new rso, no question

Perhaps this is one of those times a quadrone or even a camera mounted on a pole would be beneficial? It may help to speed things up a bit and confirm range/CoF is clear before going hot.

Having ran a lot of ranges stuff like that scares the crap out of me.

Wow some one screwed up for sure. Very Lucky the person down range wasn't hit.

Having been OIC and RSO a lot. We all know that it should be every bodies responsibility to make sure every body is safe.

But it all falls back onto the OIC it some thing bad happens.

And some people always wonder why I wear my vest on the range.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

when I have attended these types of matches, I am sadden to report I saw this behaviour more times than I can count on my two hands, yet as has been pointed out, the schedule must be met instead of adding a day. I have also seen the lack of the use of 'cease fire' being used during these matches.

I am 'fraid cams would be ignored as well as taking a moment to walk the range.

my normal suggestion to match leaders is the use of the blast from a marine air horn--one long blast to close the range, two would be to begin the sequence to 'hot' ~ one blast from down range followed by a second one 30 seconds later at the firing line.

I also wonder at times if those range overseers have even been 'trained' verses 'this is the way it has always been done for our events'?

by the grace of whatever watches overs fools and such, it was only a close call!

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 03-25-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Facepalm, thy presence seems to be insufficient for the matter at hand.

My guess is this reflects something more concerning:
    That money/time is taking precedence over safety. In the case of the range/event, it could be to save some money by not having the extra day added to safely accommodate every shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    Perhaps this is one of those times a quadrone or even a camera mounted on a pole would be beneficial? It may help to speed things up a bit and confirm range/CoF is clear before going hot.
    This is a simple, yet "time-saving" suggestion, besides the air horn idea.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

On a side note....

While I was astonished to not hear a "CEASE FIRE" it also appeared, at least to me, that the shooter was so focused on running the gun game that he didn't notice the man downrange until the RSO stopped the shooter.

Seems to me that perhaps engaging in timed gun games teaches a very bad habit of tunnel focus for the shooter.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    [ ... ]Seems to me that perhaps engaging in timed gun games teaches a very bad habit of tunnel focus for the shooter.
    +1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    On a side note....

While I was astonished to not hear a "CEASE FIRE" it also appeared, at least to me, that the shooter was so focused on running the gun game that he didn't notice the man downrange until the RSO stopped the shooter.

Seems to me that perhaps engaging in timed gun games teaches a very bad habit of tunnel focus for the shooter.
    After looking at the video several times, it appears that the shooter caught sight of the guy downrange, stopped shooting, turned to the RSO and said, "What's going on?" At THAT point, the RSO said, "Stop."

...does this video "tell the whole story?"
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Well,,,

Quoted to show the right side of the video...
    When a vid is in the 1st post it is cut off for me by the ad on the right side of the screen...

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I am still in shock over this video. I can find few words to express my shock.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ...does this video "tell the whole story?"
    No whole story,,, but the guy out in the range must hqve been some kind of
    deaf dork to have not yelled "hold your fire!!!" and hitting the ground!
    I mean,, he was still just walking around...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

At the 23+ second mark the shooter clears the white panels and looks to his right, in the direction of the nitwit who did not high tail it out of there when the gat started busting caps. This is a protocol failure. The range must not be ready to fire until the targets are prepped for the next shooter.

Tunnel vision is something that must be trained out of me and I have gotten better about "seeing" more than just that which is aligned with my sights. I figure I'm out to about 40 some odd degrees of arc (20 on each side) of "seeing." Though, movement triggers our brain to see/look at the movement, where the nitwit was not moving.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare