• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety people, SAFETY!

WalkingWolf

I am still in shock over this video. I can find few words to express my shock.

[video=youtube;HUzTIKAbI3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HUzTIKAbI3k[/video]

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Incredible...

It's EVERYONE's responsibility to make certain that the range is clear and declared 'hot' before a shooting event takes place, but with the screens in place on this range, it would take an RSO to survey the area beyond the screens before declaring the range 'hot.' SMH... and glad that no one downrange was hit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There is discussion about this all over the interwebz. Quite a bit of that discussion is about how much the games are slowed down by having to wait for the RSO to a) round up all the pasters and herd them, along with the shooter, through the course, and b) then verifying that everyone who went downrange is accounted for as behind the firing line before declaring the range hot.

Very little discussion about the behavior of the paster when he suddenly notices he is in front of a hot shooter, or of the RSO when he notices the paster in front of the shooter. Lots of "WTF' and "Huh?" but not one "Cease Fire!" with appropriate touching to gain the shooter's attention, and that paster remained vertical throughout. (Did he get so wrapped up in the game that he actually thought tose screens were in fact "cover"?)

Can't run the ranges fast enough to get everybody through" Issue refunds or add a day. A lot less trouble than explaining to the club attorney why the insurance coverage is less that the liquidated value of the club.

stay safe.

mikeyb

well, gee, Bob. did you think to get on your hands and knees to see if you could see anyone down range? :uhoh:

Phoenix David

No need to do that, just should have done a sweep from the back of the bay to the front.

I'm SO in a lot of IDPA matches and if there are vision barriers that I can't see past, I start at the back of the bay and move forward to verify it's clear, it only takes a few seconds, and since I have the timer it's not like they can start without me.

SpringerXDacp

Perhaps this is one of those times a quadrone or even a camera mounted on a pole would be beneficial? It may help to speed things up a bit and confirm range/CoF is clear before going hot.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having ran a lot of ranges stuff like that scares the crap out of me.

Wow some one screwed up for sure. Very Lucky the person down range wasn't hit.

Having been OIC and RSO a lot. We all know that it should be every bodies responsibility to make sure every body is safe.

But it all falls back onto the OIC it some thing bad happens.

And some people always wonder why I wear my vest on the range.

solus

when I have attended these types of matches, I am sadden to report I saw this behaviour more times than I can count on my two hands, yet as has been pointed out, the schedule must be met instead of adding a day. I have also seen the lack of the use of 'cease fire' being used during these matches.

I am 'fraid cams would be ignored as well as taking a moment to walk the range.

my normal suggestion to match leaders is the use of the blast from a marine air horn--one long blast to close the range, two would be to begin the sequence to 'hot' ~ one blast from down range followed by a second one 30 seconds later at the firing line.

I also wonder at times if those range overseers have even been 'trained' verses 'this is the way it has always been done for our events'?

by the grace of whatever watches overs fools and such, it was only a close call!

ipse

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Facepalm, thy presence seems to be insufficient for the matter at hand.:banghead:

My guess is this reflects something more concerning:
That money/time is taking precedence over safety. In the case of the range/event, it could be to save some money by not having the extra day added to safely accommodate every shooter.

Perhaps this is one of those times a quadrone or even a camera mounted on a pole would be beneficial? It may help to speed things up a bit and confirm range/CoF is clear before going hot.
This is a simple, yet "time-saving" suggestion, besides the air horn idea.

B

Bikenut

On a side note....

While I was astonished to not hear a "CEASE FIRE" it also appeared, at least to me, that the shooter was so focused on running the gun game that he didn't notice the man downrange until the RSO stopped the shooter.

Seems to me that perhaps engaging in timed gun games teaches a very bad habit of tunnel focus for the shooter.

markand

On a side note....

While I was astonished to not hear a "CEASE FIRE" it also appeared, at least to me, that the shooter was so focused on running the gun game that he didn't notice the man downrange until the RSO stopped the shooter.

Seems to me that perhaps engaging in timed gun games teaches a very bad habit of tunnel focus for the shooter.

After looking at the video several times, it appears that the shooter caught sight of the guy downrange, stopped shooting, turned to the RSO and said, "What's going on?" At THAT point, the RSO said, "Stop."

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Quoted to show the right side of the video...
When a vid is in the 1st post it is cut off for me by the ad on the right side of the screen...

I am still in shock over this video. I can find few words to express my shock.

[video=youtube;HUzTIKAbI3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HUzTIKAbI3k[/video]

...does this video "tell the whole story?" ;)

No whole story,,, but the guy out in the range must hqve been some kind of
deaf dork to have not yelled "hold your fire!!!" and hitting the ground!
I mean,, he was still just walking around...

OC for ME

At the 23+ second mark the shooter clears the white panels and looks to his right, in the direction of the nitwit who did not high tail it out of there when the gat started busting caps. This is a protocol failure. The range must not be ready to fire until the targets are prepped for the next shooter.

Tunnel vision is something that must be trained out of me and I have gotten better about "seeing" more than just that which is aligned with my sights. I figure I'm out to about 40 some odd degrees of arc (20 on each side) of "seeing." Though, movement triggers our brain to see/look at the movement, where the nitwit was not moving.