• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon Online CHL Class Question

catastrophic_success

So I will be getting my CHL the moment I turn 21. But the thing is I don't really have access ( or the money ) for an actual CCW class. I am proficient with firearms in a defensive context and well versed in the state's gun laws. That is why I am looking for an online class ( this thread is not a debate about whether I should take a "real class" i've been open carrying for years and I sure as hell don't need to take an in-person class to be able to safely conceal )

I see a number of websites like

http://oregonconcealed.com/get-certified/

Do these meet the requirements for an Oregon CHL ? I live in Eugene by the way. Has anyone used a website like this in Oregon or Eugene?

SteveM

Ring up the local gun store and ask about CHL classes. That online course you linked to costs $79 while local instruction will cost you $45 or less and take up about 2 hours of your evening or weekend. I went with my wife to her class about a year ago and it cost us $35 each and took a little over an hour on a weekday evening at a local cafe. Shop around for the little guy trying to establish themselves as trainers.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Is the free Maryland online course still accepted?

Since the law changed on October 1, 2013, Maryland itself will not accept the Maryland Online Course as proof of training. I doubt that Washington State would accept that prior training as valid, but you need to check with the Washington State agency that processes concealed handgun permits for guidance.

I do NOT recommend that anyone base their firearms training on any quicky online course. Most effective training involves several hours of classroom work in all aspects of firearm fundamentals as well as range time to practice those fundamentals. You will note that I am a certified firearms instructor so you may suppose that I am biased on this subject, but I believe you will find that non-instructors as well will agree that the discussions and give-and-take that occurs in the classroom, augmented by actually practicing on the range will provide far better education than watching a 15-minute video and answering 20 basic questions.

No matter what path you choose to obtain the training in order to apply for your license, PLEASE do not let it be the sum total of your training. You only learn the safe and effective use of firearms by continuing to educate yourself and spending many hours on the range practicing your skills.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For a fee while the Washington DC and Maryland one is free.

What good is "free" in this case? Neither one has an acceptable class.

It has already been determined earlier in this thread that Maryland permit laws and educational requirements will do no good in Oregon.

To my knowledge Washington DC does not even have an on-line course. Please give a cite for that.

In fact I don't believe any classes are taught within D.C.. You might google "Emily Gets Her Gun" - she had to go outside the District to get her required training.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was under the distinct impression that online courses were not acceptable in Oregon, but it would appear that I am in error.

Someone please provide a statutory or court cite showing how this occurred.

Cremator75

I was under the distinct impression that online courses were not acceptable in Oregon

I know they used to be accepted but I thought that changed as stated a few posts above. A friend of mine tried to use the Maryland course last year in Washington County and it was denied even though another friend used it a few years ago.

Is there something that says https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/ is acceptable in Oregon? If so a coworker of mine wants to get his CHL and I'll direct him to this course.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Oregon allowed the County Sheriff to set his own acceptable training standards.
Sheriff Palmer in a county in the middle of Oregon accepted the free Maryland online course.
He came to Vancouver Washington many years to take applications for Oregon CHLs.

solus

this seems to disputes the theory the country sheriff can determine their own firearm training since it seems ORS 166.291(1)(f) states, quote: (f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

unquote

doing a quick read, i seem to miss the ability OR citizens can to take an online course necessary to satisfy this statutory requirement to be issued a concealed handgun license!

ipse

Last edited:

JohnM15A

James, didn't know they let you out of the VA forum :D Yes, I have moved to OR now and will visit VA on occasion. Tess says that I should contact her so we all can get together for an old fashioned OC dinner.

When we bought a house/property in Wonder VA in 2011 we (wife and I) decided to get our CHL because we could and I wanted to carry while on vacation there. Although OR does not consider one a resident for just owning property, they do issues resident a CHL if one does own property.

Even though I had a VA CHP I had to take a training course because my DD214 did not show hand gun training. I verified that the course would meet the requirements by taking a NRA course.

Here is my take: you cannot get enough training. Check into OFF, they may have info where you can get a free training QUALIFIED course.

Carry on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That is apparently new and very good to see. Thanks for the link.
Revisited this and find that this is not training for a permit - it is to facilitate registering a firearm.

"The Metropolitan Police Department is offering this firearms safety training course pursuant to the requirements of D.C. Official Code § 7-2502.03(a)(13). This course contains an introduction to firearms and basic firearms safety measures, as required for first time applicants to register a firearm."
https://dcfst.mpdconline.com/

We-the-People

Oregon LAW does not require you to have a face to face class and several online courses meet the requirements of Oregon law. HOWEVER, many sheriff's, in their zeal to uphold the Constitution (cough), will not accept a perfectly acceptable certificate.

Hell, I've seen them want to refuse a DD214 on which the member was qualified pistol expert!!!! Reason, the volunteer at the desk had no clue what the law was and expected to see a certificate from a face to face class.

As for the value of these certification courses......I have yet to see one that was worth a dime. I have been to three and every one of them gave bad information. Some of the ******** they have preached to new CHL hopefuls:

1) You lose your right to open carry
2) You can't go into the airport
3) You can't go into a bar
4) You can't go anywhere with a no guns sign
5) You can't go into a bank
6) You can't go into the police station
7) You have to tell an officer that you are carrying if you are stopped
8) You can't open carry in Multnomah County (this was before the ban even)

and the list goes on. Not a single instructor that I have observed has known and taught THE LAW. One even stated "I don't care what the law is. . . "

In addition, without actually handling firearms, what value can we expect? NONE as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also equally sure that all of the instructors who provide these required courses will oppose any legislation to remove this ridiculous requirement.