Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry "less lethal" weapons?

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Anyone carry "less lethal" weapons?

Just curious. Like batons or pepper spray. Why or why not?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

I carry pepper spray for dogs when walking.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-24-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I carry spray when I am biking or running for the dogs I have had good luck with it. Haven't had to shoot a dog yet sprayed a few.

I have carried some improvised weapons in gun free zone that no one ever has questioned but would be effective if need be.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 03-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Sometimes I carry my .40 S&W.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

All of the things that I carry can be lethal.

Oh, were you wondering about the tacticool stuff that carries the "less lethal" tag?

Most of those "less lethal" items are stuff that is usually found on someone's duty bat-belt, which is why I don't mess with them. The exception is pepper spray - I've got a small contaier that I may or may not be able to get to as quickly as I can get to my handgun, and a honkin' big canister in the Gimpmobile in case I need to leave a choking fog behind to discourage pursuit while I'm leaving as quickly as possible.

The weapon is between the ears. The other stuff is merely hardware.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Sometimes I carry my .40 S&W.
    Soooo you consider your .40 S&W to be less lethal?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Soooo you consider your .40 S&W to be less lethal?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

the truth is not as accurate with his 40 so his premise it is less lethal...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    All of the things that I carry can be lethal.

The weapon is between the ears. The other stuff is merely hardware.
    This is Truth!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I carry spray when I am biking or running for the dogs I have had good luck with it. Haven't had to shoot a god yet sprayed a few.

I have carried some improvised weapons in gun free zone that no one ever has questioned but would be effective if need be.
    And have any of them lashed out in revenge yet?

I am considering carrying some pepper spray as well, just in case.

The only problem (or "fear") I have is that someone (prosecutor, media, et al.) might try to pull the "you should have just pepper sprayed him (the BG) since you aren't a good enough shot to shoot him in the leg". Might just be me.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

The problem with pepper spray for a threat on two legs is it's very short range. If a attacker is coming full bore pepper spray will not stop them. Then it is too late to go to the sidearm.

Pepper spray is more effective as a compliance tool, but it works well for dogs that are not in a full charge.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    And have any of them lashed out in revenge yet?

I am considering carrying some pepper spray as well, just in case.

The only problem (or "fear") I have is that someone (prosecutor, media, et al.) might try to pull the "you should have just pepper sprayed him (the BG) since you aren't a good enough shot to shoot him in the leg". Might just be me.
    the BG would have to get kinda close for me to use the spray which could mean i somehow (heavens forbid), i lost control of the situation as i lost my SAwareness.

naw'llll i stick to my sidearm, w/o extra mag, for the defence, at about 15-20 feet or so, of myself and those i hold near and dear ...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

The problem with pepper spray for a threat on two legs is it's very short range.If a attacker is coming full bore pepper spray will not stop them. Then it is too late to go to the sidearm.

Pepper spray is more effective as a compliance tool, but it works well for dogs that are not in a full charge.
    One other thing to consider about pepper spray: If you're downwind you're likely to get as much spray on you as your target is.

Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    One other thing to consider about pepper spray: If you're downwind you're likely to get as much spray on you as your target is.
    surprised no one mentioned the bear spray...

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    the BG would have to get kinda close for me to use the spray which could mean i somehow (heavens forbid), i lost control of the situation as i lost my SAwareness.

naw'llll i stick to my sidearm, w/o extra mag, for the defence, at about 15-20 feet or so, of myself and those i hold near and dear ...

ipse
    15-20 feet? Google "Teuller". Then come back and talk about your SAwareness.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

forgive the confusion skid, et al., I am truly quite familiar with the drill, so I should have quantified that is the distance the BG will discern the bullets in my firearm have separated from the cartridge and are wing'g their way towards them at approximately 2.3k fps.

by training, my firearm is out and at the ready normally 10-18 yards. (yes, I acknowledge 15 feet could be considered too close by some diehards, but it is my last point to keep from causing serious injury or possibly taking a life as I throw myself where I now have to defend myself within the judicial system and if there were a weapon shown, please understand responsible response would occur with the BG significantly farther away.

as stated, use of pepper spray (really bear spray??) is way too close quarters for my taste, speaking of which, I experienced during my youth while on certain campus during 'events', er, or so I have read about!!

ipse

no sprays, no batons.

the only less than lethal thing I carry is the olight M18 striker. can blind someone at night and won't feel nice if you get smacked in the face with it.

well, I supposed you could kill someone with it but you'd really have to work at it.
    If Law Enforcement really supported the Second Amendment, open carriers would never get harassed or arrested.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've started to carry a wooden cane on trips to the walking park lately as my lung capacity and endurance have been reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I've started to carry a wooden cane on trips to the walking park lately as my lung capacity and endurance have been reduced.
    But it's not carried as a "less lethal" weapon so it does not count.

And you might want to Google cane fighting to see some of the decorative embelishments you can make.

And that line roughly 1/3 the way up from the bottom - is that what my evil mind thinks it is? It does make that stick look pretty sharp.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

But it's not carried as a "less lethal" weapon so it does not count.

And you might want to Google cane fighting to see some of the decorative embellishments you can make.

And that line roughly 1/3 the way up from the bottom - is that what my evil mind thinks it is? It does make that stick look pretty sharp.
    It's not carried because I need a cane to walk with, let's just say that. And no, the line 1/3 of the way from the end is just where the carved handle meets the carved hard wood 'blade'. There are canes with actual hidden edges, but the one I carry is the same one I practiced with in Okinawa 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    surprised no one mentioned the bear spray...
    Actually "bear spray" is typically weaker than human spray since they have a better sense of smell. Plus you rarely run across a bear that is high on meth.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 03-30-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Actually "bear spray" is typically weaker than human spray since the have a better sense of smell. Plus you rarely run across a bear that is high on meth.
    "Bear spray" also refers to the BIG canisters (think spray paint can or larger). Get the kind with the pistol grip. Can be used to repel boarders or drift back to the guy tailgating you when he's not playing bumper cars.

Pro tip: make sure that sucker is all the way out the window before mashing that handle. (strange that the Defensive/Evasive Driving instructors did not cover that in the lecture session before heading us out to the driving range)

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

"Bear spray" also refers to the BIG canisters (think spray paint can or larger). Get the kind with the pistol grip. Can be used to repel boarders or drift back to the guy tailgating you when he's not playing bumper cars.

Pro tip: make sure that sucker is all the way out the window before mashing that handle. (strange that the Defensive/Evasive Driving instructors did not cover that in the lecture session before heading us out to the driving range)

stay safe.
    If my problems grow to that magnitude, I'm using a bigger weapon.

Flamethrower. Yep. Hmm...

On a more serious note...

I've carried knives of various lengths and a metal short-whip. The benefit of the latter is that the way it's designed, it's not classified as a weapon in any state in which I've lived, but withstands a knife blade and stings like a mother.
    Last edited by since9; 03-28-2015 at 05:47 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I do not carry non-lethal weapons.

If I make the wrong choice and the non-lethal option fails to stop the threat, then I'm injured or dead.

If I make the right choice, and lethal does stop the threat, then you have to deal with a DA, or family, or both that says you didn't have to shoot him, why didn't you pepper spray him?

Cops have a non-lethal options, but that comes with their job, it is part of their job.
    • I do not pursue bad guys, cops do.
    • I do not have backup coming with lights and sirens, cops do.
    • I do not have body armor, cops do.
    • I do not advance toward trouble, cops do.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    I do not carry non-lethal weapons.

If I make the wrong choice and the non-lethal option fails to stop the threat, then I'm injured or dead.

If I make the right choice, and lethal does stop the threat, then you have to deal with a DA, or family, or both that says you didn't have to shoot him, why didn't you pepper spray him?

Cops have a non-lethal options, but that comes with their job, it is part of their job.
    • I do not pursue bad guys, cops do.
    • I do not have backup coming with lights and sirens, cops do.
    • I do not have body armor, cops do.
    • I do not advance toward trouble, cops do.

The same is true of your deadly weapons.

[LIST][*]I do not pursue bad guys, cops do. [*]I do not have backup coming with lights and sirens, cops do. [*]I do not have body armor, cops do.[*]I do not advance toward trouble, cops do.
    So these are "cop weapons" is what you're saying? Kind of the same way that a gun is a cop weapon? Don't tell me that you have never been asked if you're a cop when people spot your sidearm.
    Last edited by self preservation; 03-30-2015 at 07:46 PM.

n.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast