• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McAuliffe will veto bills normal Virginians would like

Repeater

But there is reason there. If these bills were not killed, people could have machine guns which would have been carried in vehicles by CHP HOLDERS who are not properly trained, into states like Mary land, where they could self fire injuring unsuspecting police officers.

I had not thought of that ... :uhoh:

Say, is Mary land where you go to get fire arms? ;)

Marco

"from vcdl alert"
SB 1137, Senator Garrett, allows CHP holders to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle regardless of what a local ordinance says. Governor's excuse: "This legislation ignores long-established fire arm safety procedures and could endanger law enforcement officers in the line of duty. "

Forgetting that the Governor can't spell "firearms, " people can already carry loaded long guns in vehicles in many localities in the state and have been doing so without incident. All this bill did was make the law consistent
Consistent must mean not inconveniencing CHP'rs?
While I'm not a fan of the current law it is consistent now, everyone (chp'rs and non chp'rs) can carry loaded long guns in vehicles in localities that don't prohibit it.

I'm not going into how ridiculous this reason for the veto of the loaded long gun bill is...because I'm tickled pink he did kill it.
Unknowingly, he aided the free carry of firearms in virginia.

Additionally, there is no relationship between being a valid concealed handgun permit holder and transporting a loaded shotgun or rifle. Concealed handgun permit holders have no required training regarding shotguns or rifles. Therefore, no logical nexus exists to confer on a concealed handgun permit holder a new shotgun or rifle benefit that supersedes local restrictions.

1+

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Garrett announced he's going to reintroduce that damned long gun bill again next year....and I'm sure SOME in the gun lobby will support it. Same war, new battle.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Garrett announced he's going to reintroduce that damned long gun bill again next year....and I'm sure SOME in the gun lobby will support it. Same war, new battle.
Did someone say long gun?

This guy may need to get a wider truck if he intends carry it in a rack.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Read this idiots comments. In essence, he's saying only permit holders are law abiding citizens. This is a major step forward to becoming a permit state.

Because he’s wrong, and I’m right," Garrett said, adding he's confident the bill would win the support of the General Assembly again next year.

"This was an opportunity to vote for a commonsense extension of our Second Amendment rights."

Senate Bill*1137, which was vetoed Friday, would have exempted concealed handgun permit holders from local restrictions on having loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle.

Garrett, an attorney specializing in gun law, described this as an issue of consistency and an effort to avoid making unwitting criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens.

"It makes sense to allow people who can do something in one county to do the same thing in another and not become criminals simply by virtue of crossing the county line," Garrett said in an interview Monday.

Marco

read this idiots comments. In essence, he's saying only permit holders are law abiding citizens. This is a major step forward to becoming a permit state.

Because he’s wrong, and i’m right," garrett said, adding he's confident the bill would win the support of the general assembly again next year.

"this was an opportunity to vote for a commonsense extension of our second amendment rights."

senate bill*1137, which was vetoed friday, would have exempted concealed handgun permit holders from local restrictions on having loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle.

Garrett, an attorney specializing in gun law, described this as an issue of consistency and an effort to avoid making unwitting criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens.

"it makes sense to allow people who can do something in one county to do the same thing in another and not become criminals simply by virtue of crossing the county line," garrett said in an interview monday.

again, 1+

bluemanmxl.png

marco
sent:
wed 4/01/15 1:27 pm
to:
district22@senate.virginia.gov
cc:

Dear Sen. Garrett,

Your thinking on sb 1137 is majorly flawed.
Sb 1137, senator garrett, allows chp holders to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle regardless of what a local ordinance says.

Sen. Garrett, "all this bill did was make the law consistent.".

Consistent must mean not inconveniencing concealed handgun permit holders (chp's)?
While I'm not a fan of the current law it is consistent now. Everyone (chp'ers and non chp'ers) can carry loaded long guns in vehicles in localities that don't prohibit it.

Sen. by default you are calling all gun owners that choose not to submit to the Governments gun owner registration scheme a criminal.

I for one I'm glad our current Anti Freedom Governor sided with freedom minded Virginians and struck this bill down.

Sen., you do know there is no relationship between being a valid concealed handgun permit holder and transporting a loaded shotgun or rifle?
The training required for chp'ers has nothing to do with long guns (shotguns or rifles).
Logically nothing exists to confer a concealed handgun permit holder with a loaded long gun (shotgun or rifle) is safer, more moral or better trained than a non chp'er and should receive any benefits that supersedes local restrictions.

If you wish to introduce a bill that is consistent, how about one that includes all guns owners not just chp holders.
Currently, I and many others without chp's keep loaded long guns in our vehicles year round and only unloaded them when we are in freedom restrictive counties.

Marco