• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McAuliffe will veto bills normal Virginians would like

twoskinsonemanns

A Virginia permit allows one to hide their gun like a common criminal. We already have broad based, legal open carry of handguns.

Constitutional Carry? This ain't Kansas Toto........cause Kansas is on the cusp of getting just that. It is embarrassing that Kansas should recognize/accept Constitutional Carry before Virginia.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...tional-Carry)-from-KSRA&p=2132540#post2132540

It could be worse. They could have dangled in front you long enough to hope then snatch it away. :cry:

Last edited:

wrearick

And, as we've discussed before, that is the one area where you and I partially disagree.

I don't have a problem with P4P, but only when it is used as a stepping stone to get a foot in the door (so to speak). When we are facing a hostile governor, we need every step forward we can get, even if it's only a few inches. The trick is to not stop at those few inches, but to keep pushing towards the ultimate goal (constitutional carry).

I agree that sometimes it is worth taking the small steps especially if large steps have no chance of success. The potential problem with the incremental approach is the "appearance" that we will "never be satisfied" and are always looking for more. (kind of like what we accuse the anti's of all the time).

I am not saying don't do it or always do it but that it is a "factor" to be considered and evaluated when we consider legislation. I would rather see 2 or 3 worthwhile bills pass than 10 do nothing substantial, but make us feel good, bills get passed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I agree that sometimes it is worth taking the small steps especially if large steps have no chance of success. The potential problem with the incremental approach is the "appearance" that we will "never be satisfied" and are always looking for more. (kind of like what we accuse the anti's of all the time).

I am not saying don't do it or always do it but that it is a "factor" to be considered and evaluated when we consider legislation. I would rather see 2 or 3 worthwhile bills pass than 10 do nothing substantial, but make us feel good, bills get passed.

Supporting it was a stupid move for VCDL. It had virtually no chance of being signed so playing up to ALL gun owners and saying we don't support it because....would have been the smart move. Instead they took the in your eye approach and drove that wedge deeper.

Repeater

McAuliffe gives a gun safety lesson

I can't figure out the point of SB1137. Is it maybe just a nibble-at-the-edges?

Oh, I understand the CHP P4P angle. I just can't figure out why they would even bother. Unless this dumb law looks like low-hanging fruit.

McAuliffe 'explains' why he vetoed these bills:
McAuliffe, a gun owner and hunter, said the reciprocity bill would put state law enforcement officers at risk. As for the loaded shotgun bill, he said: "One of the first things you learn in gun safety is you do not keep a loaded gun in your vehicle."

Terry took a gun safety course?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
McAuliffe, a gun owner and hunter, said the reciprocity bill would put state law enforcement officers at risk. As for the loaded shotgun bill, he said: "One of the first things you learn in gun safety is you do not keep a loaded gun in your vehicle."

I suspect that McAuliffe will be shocked and dismayed when he actually learns that Virginia law does not prohibit loaded handguns in one's vehicle, and may go hide in a Richmond cave when he figures out how MANY vehicles he may be traveling next to contain a loaded gun...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I suspect that McAuliffe will be shocked and dismayed when he actually learns that Virginia law does not prohibit loaded handguns in one's vehicle, and may go hide in a Richmond cave when he figures out how MANY vehicles he may be traveling next to contain a loaded gun...
He could hide in plain view in NY - no one would even know he was there....wish that were true in Virginia.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

He'd be more dismayed if he knew there are only a handful of places you can't have a loaded long gun

TFred

VSSA blogged about the vetoes here; picked up by Davis Codrea:

Tyrant Presumes to Deny Your Rights

I thought their headline needed tweaking.
And here's the key paragraph:

The bill protecting concealed handgun permit holder information, SB948, in no way endangers law enforcement. In fact, there is evidence that concealed carry permit holders are some of the most law abiding people in the nation. All this bill does is protect Virginia CHP holders from fishing expeditions that law enforcement in states like Maryland and New Jersey typically take when they learn someone they stop for routine traffic violations is a gun owner and concealed carry permit holder.​

Several studies have shown that not only are permit-holders less likely to commit a crime than average citizens, permit-holders are less likely to commit crimes than police officers! So any given cop is safer pulling over a permit-holder than he or she would be pulling over one of their own colleagues.

McAuliffe is nothing more than a big fat liar.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well maybe next year VCDL can push for exemption of the long gun law for anyone with a hunting license. I'd still be out because as the property owner I don't need one, neither do I need a CHP since the farms are my own place of business. Odd that I still can't carry during bow or ML season though.

What am I thinking though. There's no money in teaching hunter license classes. My bad.

Last edited:

TFred

And here's the text from the Governor's veto of SB 948. I've read some crazy excuses for a veto over the past few years, but this one takes the cake.

Here we have absolute proof that the other side (who holds the strings of our puppet governor) views law-abiding gun owners as CRIMINALS. In SPITE of the studies that show permit-holders are less likely to commit a crime than both the general population AND police officers themselves!

Put on your tall boots before reading this one...

TFred

Pursuant to Article V, Section 6, of the Constitution of Virginia, I veto Senate Bill 948, which would prohibit the Virginia State Police from sharing information regarding an individual’s concealed handgun permit status with another state’s law enforcement agencies if that state does not have a reciprocity agreement with Virginia.

Information sharing is the cornerstone of public safety, and it is essential to our law enforcement officers’ ability to perform their responsibilities safely and efficiently. Criminals are very mobile, and it is only through information sharing that police are able to identify cross-jurisdictional crimes and their perpetrators. Law enforcement agencies must share complete data to be effective. Otherwise agencies work independently in silos, crimes go unsolved, and criminals remain free.

The sharing of concealed handgun permit information between law enforcement agencies provides officers advanced information concerning whether an individual may be armed. This information is imperative and potentially life-saving. Law enforcement officers face dangerous situations on a daily basis, and they must have the tools and information necessary to accurately assess situations and minimize potential dangers.

Accordingly, I veto this bill.​

2a4all

And here's the text from the Governor's veto of SB 948. I've read some crazy excuses for a veto over the past few years, but this one takes the cake.

Here we have absolute proof that the other side (who holds the strings of our puppet governor) views law-abiding gun owners as CRIMINALS. In SPITE of the studies that show permit-holders are less likely to commit a crime than both the general population AND police officers themselves!

Put on your tall boots before reading this one...

TFred
Pursuant to Article V, Section 6, of the Constitution of Virginia, I veto Senate Bill 948, which would prohibit the Virginia State Police from sharing information regarding an individual’s concealed handgun permit status with another state’s law enforcement agencies if that state does not have a reciprocity agreement with Virginia.

Information sharing is the cornerstone of public safety, and it is essential to our law enforcement officers’ ability to perform their responsibilities safely and efficiently. Criminals are very mobile, and it is only through information sharing that police are able to identify cross-jurisdictional crimes and their perpetrators. Law enforcement agencies must share complete data to be effective. Otherwise agencies work independently in silos, crimes go unsolved, and criminals remain free.

The sharing of concealed handgun permit information between law enforcement agencies provides officers advanced information concerning whether an individual may be armed. This information is imperative and potentially life-saving. Law enforcement officers face dangerous situations on a daily basis, and they must have the tools and information necessary to accurately assess situations and minimize potential dangers.

Accordingly, I veto this bill.​
So in an encounter with a LEO in Virginia, we have no duty to inform him/her that we are armed, but yet the Guv thinks that the state has a duty to inform LEOs of other states that we might be armed? Especially if we are travelling in a state that doesn't honor our CHP? Is he presuming that we ignore the laws of other states? And how does he offer that "assessment" to these LEOs when folks who do not have a Virginia CHP travel into other states? The LEOs of other states can get a warning that law abiding citizens may be armed, but we can't give them one for armed criminals? When/how does he propose to give these LEOs "the tools and information necessary to accurately assess situations and minimize potential dangers"? If these LEOs are as concerned about their safety as the Guv is, then they have no choice but to assume that the occupants of every vehicle with VA tags are armed. But wait, aren't they already doing that? :banghead:

His logic alone should be cause enough to muster the votes to override this veto.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not going into how ridiculous this reason for the veto of the loaded long gun bill is...because I'm tickled pink he did kill it.
Unknowingly, he aided the free carry of firearms in virginia.

Additionally, there is no relationship between being a valid concealed handgun permit holder and transporting a loaded shotgun or rifle. Concealed handgun permit holders have no required training regarding shotguns or rifles. Therefore, no logical nexus exists to confer on a concealed handgun permit holder a new shotgun or rifle benefit that supersedes local restrictions.

Have Gun - Will Carry

Excuse me for jumping in after the conversation has already moved on, but this quote struck me as unbelievable... Do you mean to tell me that all cops in Virginia always unload their weapons before entering a vehicle? They must, because to do otherwise would be to break one of the very first rules they all learned about gun safety! :eek: Right?

Or are you (not you personally, JC) trying to say that all VA cops knowingly and repeatedly break these safety rules on a daily basis? If that's the case, you wouldn't catch me even visiting your state, let alone living there, with all those unsafe cops driving around... The horror! :rolleyes: :lol:

Maybe someone should point out this discrepancy to your governor? Pot, meet kettle...

Repeater

Veto explanations

Wow, his full text is found with each of the bills he vetoed. I know opinion is mixed on Senator Garrett's SB1137, but see what the Guv. has to say:
Pursuant to Article V, Section 6, of the Constitution of Virginia, I veto Senate Bill 1137, which would allow a concealed handgun permit holder to have a loaded shotgun or rifle in their vehicle on a public highway in a locality that prohibits transportation of a loaded shotgun or rifle.

This legislation ignores long-established firearm safety procedures and could endanger law enforcement officers in the line of duty. In 2006, a State Trooper was killed while responding to a vehicle crash. As the crashed vehicle was being loaded on a wrecker, the loaded rifle discharged killing the trooper. No one at the crash scene knew that the loaded rifle was in the vehicle.

Additionally, there is no relationship between being a valid concealed handgun permit holder and transporting a loaded shotgun or rifle. Concealed handgun permit holders have no required training regarding shotguns or rifles. Therefore, no logical nexus exists to confer on a concealed handgun permit holder a new shotgun or rifle benefit that supersedes local restrictions.

Protecting law enforcement officers and upholding local firearms safety requirements far outweigh any minor conveniences sought by this legislation.

Accordingly, I veto this bill.

As for HB2009, he offers this excuse:
Pursuant to Article V, Section 6, of the Constitution of Virginia, I veto House Bill 2009, which would compel a chief law enforcement officer to provide a certification for the transfer of a machine gun into his locality. Further, House Bill 2009 would create a process to circumvent the chief law enforcement officer if he does not provide a certification within 60 days.

Under federal law an individual must receive a determination of lawful eligibility at the federal and state level to register to possess a machine gun. Current law allows for the chief law enforcement officer's discretion in making these determinations. A chief law enforcement officer should not be mandated to approve the transfer of machine guns into his community.

Virginia families and communities are safer with fewer machine guns. I see no compelling reason to circumvent the current process and force machine gun certifications on local law enforcement officials.

Accordingly, I veto this bill.

Anyone care to weigh in on his reasoning?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wow, his full text is found with each of the bills he vetoed. I know opinion is mixed on Senator Garrett's SB1137, but see what the Guv. has to say:

As for HB2009, he offers this excuse:

Anyone care to weigh in on his reasoning?
Reasoning.....yeah, he's an idiot.

But there is reason there. If these bills were not killed, people could have machine guns which would have been carried in vehicles by CHP HOLDERS who are not properly trained, into states like Mary land, where they could self fire injuring unsuspecting police officers.