• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McAuliffe will veto bills normal Virginians would like

Repeater

This was expected, right?

Sources: McAuliffe vetoes likely to include Tebow bill, gun and voting measures
Three gun bills are also said to be on McAuliffe's firing squad:

House Bill 2286 - The bill would allow the possession and transportation of "firearms, ammunition, stun weapons, and explosive materials" by convicted felons whose right to possess firearms or ammunition had been restored under the law of another state.

Senate Bill 938 - It would prohibit the state from sharing its information on concealed handgun permit holders in the Virginia Criminal Information Network with any state that does not allow Virginia permit holders to carry concealed in their state.

Senate Bill 1137 - The bill would allow anyone with a concealed handgun permit to be exempt from any local ordinances that prohibit having a loaded rifle or shotgun in their car while on a public street, road or highway.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nothing wrong with HB2286, SB938 is ok but really more crying after the fact by people that were told this would happen.

BUT......
I wish he'd get on with sending SB 1137 to hell where it belongs. I hope Goddard remembered to thank Philip for pushing that bill.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nothing wrong with HB2286, SB938 is ok but really more crying after the fact by people that were told this would happen.

BUT......
I wish he'd get on with sending SB 1137 to hell where it belongs. I hope Goddard remembered to thank Philip for pushing that bill.

I can't figure out the point of SB1137. Is it maybe just a nibble-at-the-edges?

Oh, I understand the CHP P4P angle. I just can't figure out why they would even bother. Unless this dumb law looks like low-hanging fruit.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I can't figure out the point of SB1137. Is it maybe just a nibble-at-the-edges?

Oh, I understand the CHP P4P angle. I just can't figure out why they would even bother. Unless this dumb law looks like low-hanging fruit.

Preemption, the bill for all gun owners was full of holes, mostly antiquated hunting laws.
Last year, a VCDL member and hunter asked the bill be introduced because moving from one hunting field to another often involved crossing county lines. Unloading before each move is stupid.

When the bill was introduced he was shocked to see that it was for permit holders only and frankly VCDLS support for it was the last straw for many.

This bill is not what was intended or wanted. It was supposed to strengthen preemption. ..not weaken unlicensed carry...and I really don't want to hear anymore baby steps bull s##€ about it.

When asked why, the patron said he didn't consider having a loaded long gun a 2nd amendment right.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Preemption, the bill for all gun owners was full of holes, mostly antiquated hunting laws.
Last year, a VCDL member and hunter asked the bill be introduced because moving from one hunting field to another often involved crossing county lines. Unloading before each move is stupid.

When the bill was introduced he was shocked to see that it was for permit holders only and frankly VCDLS support for it was the last straw for many.

This bill is not what was intended or wanted. It was supposed to strengthen preemption. ..not weaken unlicensed carry...and I really don't want to hear anymore baby steps bull s##€ about it.

When asked why, the patron said he didn't consider having a loaded long gun a 2nd amendment right.

Oh, I get it. Ok.

Separately, and just to verify. In the current context, loaded means a charged magazine? As opposed to the correct meaning, a round chambered.

Thundar

Peter - NorNil says "These are not the droids you are looking for"

But, but, but Peter,

NorNil says that these are not the gun laws we are bothered by, so we do not work hard to them. I mean come on Peter, except in very limited assault weapon circumstances, the CHP doesn't even apply to rifles and shotguns!!!!

NorNil didn't tell you? We all have a pinky swear duty to support the Northern Virginia city-folk ideas about firearms laws in Virginia. How dare we try to fix stupid laws that burden our rights and interfere with their incremental baby step approach to empowering permit holders. While I am happy that those north of the Nile (NorNil) fight so hard to preserve carry in a library, I would like them also t0 support the fight to fix the preemption loopholes that create significant problems for hunters during every day of the hunting season.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
But, but, but Peter,

NorNil says that these are not the gun laws we are bothered by, so we do not work hard to them. I mean come on Peter, except in very limited assault weapon circumstances, the CHP doesn't even apply to rifles and shotguns!!!!

NorNil didn't tell you? We all have a pinky swear duty to support the Northern Virginia city-folk ideas about firearms laws in Virginia. How dare we try to fix stupid laws that burden our rights and interfere with their incremental baby step approach to empowering permit holders. While I am happy that those north of the Nile (NorNil) fight so hard to preserve carry in a library, I would like them also t0 support the fight to fix the preemption loopholes that create significant problems for hunters during every day of the hunting season.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Well...nothing passed this year is a win for ALL gun owners and in fact, the long gun bill is a big win for the anti gun people. I'm amazed it's headed for a veto.
It's always good to listen to the antis just to see what they want.

Take Lori Haas for instance. Her husband owns guns, all she wants is for everyone to go through a background check and have a permit.
That's exactly the purpose of that bill.

Marco

(snip)
everyone to go through a background check and have a permit.
That's exactly the purpose of that bill.
1+

The more perks for CHP'rs the more some folks want them, the more special they feel.

Gun owners would never fall for gun registration, but they are buying into gun owner registration on a whole sale level.

The Truth

1+

The more perks for CHP'rs the more some folks want them, the more special they feel.

Gun owners would never fall for gun registration, but they are buying into gun owner registration on a whole sale level.

It is borderline sickening the sense of entitlement and glee some people get from presenting that little permission slip. Such backwards logic.

"See... I have more rights than you. How hard is it to get a little card?"

...I hear this as-

"See...I submit and grant authority to government to regulate my natural rights. How hard is it for you to give it all away and submit too?"

grylnsmn

It is borderline sickening the sense of entitlement and glee some people get from presenting that little permission slip. Such backwards logic.

"See... I have more rights than you. How hard is it to get a little card?"

...I hear this as-

"See...I submit and grant authority to government to regulate my natural rights. How hard is it for you to give it all away and submit too?"

I find that it's a bad idea to generalize large groups of people like that.

Do I have a CHP? Yes, I do. I usually OC wherever I go, but there are some times and places where having the option to conceal is useful. For example, I have an aunt in assisted living, and I am one of her only relatives left in the area. While the facility itself isn't posted, she is pathologically afraid of guns, and at over 70 years old there's no way she's going to change. My choices are to either not visit her, disarm, or have a CHP so I can legally conceal. I choose the latter as the best of several bad options.

Similarly, I attend church on a weekly basis. My purpose in attending isn't to advocate for 2A rights, but to worship the Lord. OC would become a distraction with some in my congregation and take away from their worship. My only options there are to either no go, disarm, or have a CHP so I can legally conceal. Again, the latter is the best of several bad options.

So yes, I submitted to the government's regulation of my natural rights, because I refuse to let that regulation keep me from being defenseless while I attend to things I find more important, like family and my personal salvation. At the same time, I am working towards changing, reducing, or eliminating that regulation as much as I can.

Are their idiots in any group? Sure. Not everyone who open carries is an ally to our goals. (See also some of the incidents in Texas that nearly torpedoed OC there.) In the same way, not everyone with a CHP is one of the "I have more rights than you" idiots. In fact, I would guess most people with a CHP are not in that camp. Most of them are, like me, just trying to deal with an imperfect world the best that they can.

2a4all

Do I have a CHP? Yes, I do. I usually OC wherever I go, but there are some times and places where having the option to conceal is useful. For example, I have an aunt in assisted living, and I am one of her only relatives left in the area. While the facility itself isn't posted, she is pathologically afraid of guns, and at over 70 years old there's no way she's going to change. My choices are to either not visit her, disarm, or have a CHP so I can legally conceal. I choose the latter as the best of several bad options.

Similarly, I attend church on a weekly basis. My purpose in attending isn't to advocate for 2A rights, but to worship the Lord. OC would become a distraction with some in my congregation and take away from their worship. My only options there are to either no go, disarm, or have a CHP so I can legally conceal. Again, the latter is the best of several bad options.

So yes, I submitted to the government's regulation of my natural rights, because I refuse to let that regulation keep me from being defenseless while I attend to things I find more important, like family and my personal salvation. At the same time, I am working towards changing, reducing, or eliminating that regulation as much as I can.

Are their idiots in any group? Sure. Not everyone who open carries is an ally to our goals. (See also some of the incidents in Texas that nearly torpedoed OC there.) In the same way, not everyone with a CHP is one of the "I have more rights than you" idiots. In fact, I would guess most people with a CHP are not in that camp. Most of them are, like me, just trying to deal with an imperfect world the best that they can.

I agree with your reasoning, but you're generalizing large groups of people. Your aunt is is in the same age group as many of us on this forum.

grylnsmn

I agree with your reasoning, but you're generalizing large groups of people. Your aunt is is in the same age group as many of us on this forum.
Many of the people in this forum aren't showing early signs of dementia. I know my aunt, and she is absolutely set in her ways on this topic.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Actually if you go back you'll see that I agree with his reasoning. If people are willing to go along with the program and get a CHP...that's fine by me.
BUT a CHP only gives one the privilage of hiding the gun and that's where I draw the line. It shouldn't allow them to carry in the general assembly building, carry while bow hunting or have a loaded long gun in their vehicle.

Those are things ALL gun owners should be allowed.

I supported the restaurant bill and was very vocal about my reasoning. It created parity. Both ChIPpers and OCers should have the same rights.

Unfortunately the CHP community has not adopted that pholosophy.

The Truth

Most of them are, like me, just trying to deal with an imperfect world the best that they can.

Didn't mean to offend those that are not perpetrators of what I've described. That's why you'll notice I used the key word emboldened below. I thought I made it pretty clear:

The Truth said:

Actually if you go back you'll see that I agree with his reasoning. If people are willing to go along with the program and get a CHP...that's fine by me.
BUT a CHP only gives one the privilage of hiding the gun and that's where I draw the line. It shouldn't allow them to carry in the general assembly building, carry while bow hunting or have a loaded long gun in their vehicle.

I supported the restaurant bill and was very vocal about my reasoning. It created parity. Both ChIPpers and OCers should have the same rights.

It's the privileges that irk me too, Nap.

Last edited:

2a4all

Many of the people in this forum aren't showing early signs of dementia. I know my aunt, and she is absolutely set in her ways on this topic.
I was hinting that your post implied that (the large group of) people over 70 were set in their ways. Many on this forum are set in their ways, but not because we're over a certain age. Dementia has nothing to do with it, IIRC.:eek:

grylnsmn

And, as we've discussed before, that is the one area where you and I partially disagree.

I don't have a problem with P4P, but only when it is used as a stepping stone to get a foot in the door (so to speak). When we are facing a hostile governor, we need every step forward we can get, even if it's only a few inches. The trick is to not stop at those few inches, but to keep pushing towards the ultimate goal (constitutional carry).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And, as we've discussed before, that is the one area where you and I partially disagree.

I don't have a problem with P4P, but only when it is used as a stepping stone to get a foot in the door (so to speak). When we are facing a hostile governor, we need every step forward we can get, even if it's only a few inches. The trick is to not stop at those few inches, but to keep pushing towards the ultimate goal (constitutional carry).

Considering the continued support for bills like this...baby steps and stepping stones are only fairy tales to keep the unwashed masses happy.
As Philip said recently...I'm mean spirited especially this year when the best friends of gun owners are anti gun legislators and Administration.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

A Virginia permit allows one to hide their gun like a common criminal. We already have broad based, legal open carry of handguns.

Constitutional Carry? This ain't Kansas Toto........cause Kansas is on the cusp of getting just that. It is embarrassing that Kansas should recognize/accept Constitutional Carry before Virginia.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...tional-Carry)-from-KSRA&p=2132540#post2132540

Last edited: