• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OR background check bill filed SB 941

Dave Workman

UBC bill filed in Oregon, editorial says it won’t work
:banghead:

Oregon State Sen. Floyd Prozanski yesterday introduced Senate Bill 941, the long-anticipated “universal background check” measure that has more chance of passing in the Beaver State this year, despite the fact that at least one newspaper has editorialized that it won’t accomplish much.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ubc-bill-filed-oregon-editorial-says-it-won-t-work

SteveM

Thankfully it isn't as bad as I-594, but I still don't want it in place as it will do nothing to make anyone safer and just be a huge pain for us to follow. Sadly, it's going to move through like greased lighting and the reigning party will gleefully pat each other on the back and talk about how they just made a difference.

I wrote my Senator (Hass) and pretty quickly got a reply from an assistant that included the following:
"Unfortunately, many gun-related deaths every year could have been prevented if it weren’t for the unlawful transfer of firearms among family members. Ultimately, Senator Hass believes that all prospective gun owners need to meet the same requirements across the board, regardless of who they are purchasing a firearm from. While many of these transactions may, indeed, occur between law-abiding family members, the sad reality is that occasionally these exchanges result in violence. A proper background check of a family member could help save lives."

That's right, his next move is to close the background check loophole that allows people to loan family members firearms without a background check.

Dave Workman

Thankfully it isn't as bad as I-594, but I still don't want it in place as it will do nothing to make anyone safer and just be a huge pain for us to follow. Sadly, it's going to move through like greased lighting and the reigning party will gleefully pat each other on the back and talk about how they just made a difference.

I wrote my Senator (Hass) and pretty quickly got a reply from an assistant that included the following:
"Unfortunately, many gun-related deaths every year could have been prevented if it weren’t for the unlawful transfer of firearms among family members. Ultimately, Senator Hass believes that all prospective gun owners need to meet the same requirements across the board, regardless of who they are purchasing a firearm from. While many of these transactions may, indeed, occur between law-abiding family members, the sad reality is that occasionally these exchanges result in violence. A proper background check of a family member could help save lives."

That's right, his next move is to close the background check loophole that allows people to loan family members firearms without a background check.

:banghead::cuss:

That giant sucking sound you hear in Salem is....