• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Volunteers needed for USFS Road 70 pit cleanup

Bill Starks

State Researcher
yep, I coordinated with the Rangers to do a cleanup after I was up there and saw how bad the place had gotten.

I love the comments from the one person on "Big Game Hunters" as they sw 30.06 casings on the ground....

this was the posting I have been using on other groups...

Saturday April 4th Save the Date
Greenwater FS70 Shooting Pit Cleanup
We need volunteers to clean up the shooting area. I have talked with the Rangers and they will supply a dumpster, trash bags and Nitryl gloves for everyone. If any has pickup trucks or trailers that can haul trash, they will also pay the dump fees if we happen to fill the dumpsters.
I was up there on Sunday Feb 22nd and the place was a mess. If we don't do something we are going to lose this shooting area.
Date: April 4th 2015
Time: 8am
Location: FS70 upper pit (the one with the Jersey Barriers next to the road).
Take Hwy 410 from Sumner and head toward Crystal Mountain. Once thru Greenwater, turn left on the first hard ball past the fire station (FS70). Travel another 5.4 miles and the pit will be on the right side.

Map to location:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47....2627f48e4!2m2!1d-121.5341959!2d47.1184903!3e0

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Greenwater Cleanup Report 4/4/15 - Greenwater, Washington
Over 200 people across many groups said they would be there to help today. 25 showed up. I had one guy(in the pics) who was is 90+ years of age out there picking up shotgun hulls. We made a serious dent in the crap that was out there I was informed today that soil testing done at the site and the levels of PCB's(from folks shooting up electronics) is putting this pit closer to closure. Three car hoods, 2 flat panel TV's, 4 computers... we filled the dumpster in the pic to the point that the door had to be shut and bags thrown over the top.

I have less than 1.5 months left in this state so if someone would volunteer to be the contact person for the Rangers all they are asking for is coordination 1-2 times a year and It would go a long way in keeping this place open.

To everyone that showed up, THANK YOU !

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/m1gunr/library/OCDO/Greenwater-Cleanup

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/m1gunr/library/OCDO/Greenwater-Cleanup

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Wow, it looks much better! Good job everyone involved. Too bad you didn't have as many as expected but you did great for the turn out. Thanks for keeping our lands clean and open.