• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Panel approves open-carry bill

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
That's excellent news! Thank you for the update Count.

Do we know what these "minor wording changes" are from SB17?

jordanmills

That's excellent news! Thank you for the update Count.

Do we know what these "minor wording changes" are from SB17?

Too long to do a line by line comparison by eye. There may have been changes in committee, but this is how HB 910 was originally:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00910I.htm

Here's the engrossed text of SB 17:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/SB00017E.htm

Looks like HB 910 doesn't include changes to 411.188(b) which require the use of specific holsters (which is a good omission in general). Same with 411.190(b).

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Too long to do a line by line comparison by eye. There may have been changes in committee, but this is how HB 910 was originally:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00910I.htm

Here's the engrossed text of SB 17:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/SB00017E.htm

Looks like HB 910 doesn't include changes to 411.188(b) which require the use of specific holsters (which is a good omission in general). Same with 411.190(b).

I know where the bills can be found, but like you said, it's a little too long to sit there and look at it line by line.

I do like that it doesn't include the holster requirement as it took out the possibility of a drop leg. At the same time, I kind of just wish they could have sent SB17 as is so we can just get it passed through.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Do a text search in 910 for "holster" .... You'll find 10 matches, which have the "shoulder or belt holster" language, I believe... Possibly the most important one is second to last...

SECTION 48. Sections 46.15(a) and (b), Penal Code, are amended to read as follows: <- section that makes 46.02, the general prohibition on handgun possession not apply to CHL holders

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who: <- section that makes 46.02, the general prohibition on handgun possession not apply to CHL holders

(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;

So yes, in 910, if the handgun is not concealed, it must be in a shoulder or belt holster

mustangkiller

Unless I read it wrong, they lumped SB 17 and HB 910 together and retained the HB number. Please correct me if I'm wrong

The Dark Reaper

Unless I read it wrong, they lumped SB 17 and HB 910 together and retained the HB number. Please correct me if I'm wrong

That is what is seems like to me as well, but like I said with the passing of this it is a step in the right direction and it will soon be knock on the governor's door to go into law

Last edited:

Ian

Lone Star Veteran

Where did you read this? I see the text:

Description Comment Date Time Journal Page
H Reported favorably as substituted 03/26/2015
H Committee substitute considered in committee 03/26/2015

But what is the committee substitute and where can we see that? It doesn't appear to have amendments in the bill text at all.

Count

Founder's Club Member
In a nutshell

HB910, the licensed open carry, will move to the House Calendars committee and will arrive to the House floor in a matter of weeks..... (session ends June 1st). It is important to call the Calendars committee members and urge them to schedule it..... Strauss (the bad leader of the House) has a tight control on the Calendars committee! Therefore, after calling the members of the Calendars committee also call your reps and urge them to sign on as co-authors to this very popular bill (80+ so far). HB937, campus carry, will be voted out of the House committee next week. We cannot let them change the bill to give an opt-out provision to public universities!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really love HB226 which is SB273 passed by the Senate! This will place heavy sanctions on local governments that improperly post 30.06 signs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all not a bad session!!!! Open carry will normalize the sight of guns and educate the public and law enforcement. After that is an easy transition to unlicensed open carry or even Constitutional carry! Once people will realize that guns, just like SUVs, don't have a mind of their own and do killings despite their owners objections we can take the next step! Remember how many news stories demonized SUVs for over a decade? They all died down..... Same thing will happen with guns. And finally kids will see guns in public and can have a healthy conversation with their parents about them, since in Public Schools they are not allowed to see or hear about guns, freedom, or the Second Amendment. Great first step! I see a lot of good things moving forward.

half_life1052

Sometimes being a linux geek has its advantages

I grabbed the two versions of the bill and saved them locally. Using the diff tool I was able to identify that there is 140 lines changed between the two texts. I have the delta between the two saved to a third file if anyone wants to look just at the changes. The file is about 6k in size. View attachment delta.txt

half_life1052

maybe a little explanation

You will see symbols on the left side of the column of text.

< means the original
> the house changed it to . ...
the number sequences like 130,132c129,131 show the location in the document where the changes occurred.

mustangkiller

Where did you read this? I see the text:

Description Comment Date Time Journal Page
H Reported favorably as substituted 03/26/2015
H Committee substitute considered in committee 03/26/2015

But what is the committee substitute and where can we see that? It doesn't appear to have amendments in the bill text at all.

That or very nearly that is what I read. I also read the "how a bill becomes a law" page trying to find out what "substituted" meant and that's the conclusion I came to. Again, please let me know if I'm wrong.

OC-Aviator

What if you are openly carrying an AR Pistol with a sling? Its reasonable to say that there is not shoulder or belt holster for an AR Pistol.
I'm not sure why you would carry an AR pistol when you have the option of a traditionally sized handgun once the bill is signed but to each his own. I see this as an issue for those that like to push the boundaries.

stealthyeliminator

What if you are openly carrying an AR Pistol with a sling? Its reasonable to say that there is not shoulder or belt holster for an AR Pistol.
I'm not sure why you would carry an AR pistol when you have the option of a traditionally sized handgun once the bill is signed but to each his own. I see this as an issue for those that like to push the boundaries.

Teehee, some of the OCT guys have already found a holster for an AR or AK pistol.

As the legislature compromises and fails to restore our rights, we can expect the unjustifiable boundaries they set to be ridden hard. :)