Thread: Pistol or Rifle.... That is the question...

Pistol or Rifle.... That is the question...

I just purchased a Henry Mare's Leg chambered in 45 Colt and I am looking for a holster so I can Open Carry it from time to time.... Henry sells the Mare's Leg as a Lever Action Pistol but the big question is: Does Washington State consider this gun a Pistol or a Rifle..... Can I carry this in my truck loaded just like any other pistol?
    http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/

Here is the RCW 9.41.010 definitions for each:

Quote Originally Posted by RCW 9.41.010
    (18) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
    (19) "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(22) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 03-27-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

It's a pistol.

considering, (save others who care to look up the firearm's dimensions) overall length is 25 inches, barrel length is 12.904 inches. http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/

guess according to RCS the firearm is a pistol...who'd thunk...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    considering, (save others who care to look up the firearm's dimensions) overall length is 25 inches, barrel length is 12.904 inches. http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/

guess according to RCS the firearm is a pistol...who'd thunk...

ipse
    Would seem that Henry did thunk it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

several holsters available for this gorgeous firearm. My personal favorite is the Steve McQueen full belt.

Attachment 12445
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Attachment 12446

I like this one
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Real simple. When you bought it did you have to fill out the pistol paperwork, and present your CPL? Answer is yes, then it's a pistol. Just like a Mossberg "Just in Case" with the pistol grip=pistol.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Real simple. When you bought it did you have to fill out the pistol paperwork, and present your CPL? Answer is yes, then it's a pistol. Just like a Mossberg "Just in Case" with the pistol grip=pistol.

So is your one hand on the pistol grip or the pump action. {forearm}

Quote Originally Posted by 40grit View Post
    So is your one hand on the pistol grip or the pump action. {forearm}
    The key word, here, is "intended". In addition to following established BATFE regulations for a lever-action pistol, Henry has made it very clear they are reproducing the weapon Steve McQueen used in Wanted: Dead or Alive, which he used single-handed except when working the action. This is a pistol.

And there's no "pump action". Really, there isn't even a fore-grip. There's a protective, wooden cover on the underside of the barrel.

and damn now that I've seen fotos at their site, it is now something I want to go find locally, hold, try, cuddle with, and see if one wants to come home and live at my house...but darn pricey...sigh

ya ya ya, holster also...geez guys quite exerting peer pressure on me would ya!!

ipse

addendum: 45colt or 44 mag or 357 mag please consider availability...and the purchase would be to scratch an itch not a wanted dead or alive mentality...

tks
    Last edited by solus; 03-28-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

My questions have been answered, thank you all. I ordered my Mare's Leg on Friday the 13th and picked it up at a local FFL dealer in Renton yesterday. They did treat this as a pistol when I picked it up. The purchase price was much cheaper than MSRP at Bud's Guns online. My search for a holster continues, mostly because I shoot left handed. Most of the holsters are for right handed shooters and they use the saddle ring on the side of the pistol to help secure the pistol to the holster... The Mare's Leg looks and feels fantastic, never felt a gun that has such a solid feel in my hands....

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
    My questions have been answered, thank you all. I ordered my Mare's Leg on Friday the 13th and picked it up at a local FFL dealer in Renton yesterday. They did treat this as a pistol when I picked it up. The purchase price was much cheaper than MSRP at Bud's Guns online. My search for a holster continues, mostly because I shoot left handed. Most of the holsters are for right handed shooters and they use the saddle ring on the side of the pistol to help secure the pistol to the holster... The Mare's Leg looks and feels fantastic, never felt a gun that has such a solid feel in my hands....
    Will the saddle ring preclude using a left side holster?

Might be more practical to work on non-dominate hand skill sets with right side holster.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-29-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Will the saddle ring preclude using a left side holster?

Might be more practical to work on non-dominate hand skill sets with right side holster.
    The saddle ring only works for right hand holsters only, can't be moved to be used on left hand holster. Just looked at the Henry Store at www.henryrifles.com and they have a holster that can be used for both right and left hand shooters.... Not bad looking for the price.... Thinking it is where I'll start for now...

http://www.henryrifles.com/product/h...s-leg-holster/

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    which he used single-handed except when working the action.
    If needing a second hand to work the action made a pistol into a rifle, then only revolvers would be considered pistols.

So yeah, definitely pistol.
    Last edited by Difdi; 04-01-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Mmmm .45 Long Colt. Do want.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Mmmm .45 Long Colt. Do want.
    yepper, don't need but want...lol

start saving your nickels and dimes, begin collecting cans off the country lanes, and you can get one.

ipse

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    The key word, here, is "intended". In addition to following established BATFE regulations for a lever-action pistol, Henry has made it very clear they are reproducing the weapon Steve McQueen used in Wanted: Dead or Alive, which he used single-handed except when working the action. This is a pistol.

And there's no "pump action". Really, there isn't even a fore-grip. There's a protective, wooden cover on the underside of the barrel.
    I think there was some reading comprehension problems. I was referring to the Mossberg (just in case) with the pistol grip= pistol line.
    Yes i know this forum is about a Henry's Mare"s leg. But bad information is just that. The Mossberg Cruiser, Just in case, 500 tactical, 500 Chainsaw , 590A1 Adjustable Stock , 535 Turkey Thug ,500 Thunder Ranch, and the list goes on and on of long guns with pistol grips not equalling pistols

went into local GS and they had what the nice sales person said was a mares leg in the display case...for 495$. I am excited to perhaps I have found a used henry...then I saw it was a rossi ranch hand...
    drat....
    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-03-2015 at 09:03 PM.