• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol or Rifle.... That is the question...

The Big Dog

I just purchased a Henry Mare's Leg chambered in 45 Colt and I am looking for a holster so I can Open Carry it from time to time.... Henry sells the Mare's Leg as a Lever Action Pistol but the big question is: Does Washington State consider this gun a Pistol or a Rifle..... Can I carry this in my truck loaded just like any other pistol?
http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Here is the RCW 9.41.010 definitions for each:

RCW 9.41.010 said:
(18) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
(19) "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(22) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Real simple. When you bought it did you have to fill out the pistol paperwork, and present your CPL? Answer is yes, then it's a pistol. Just like a Mossberg "Just in Case" with the pistol grip=pistol.

40grit

Real simple. When you bought it did you have to fill out the pistol paperwork, and present your CPL? Answer is yes, then it's a pistol. Just like a Mossberg "Just in Case" with the pistol grip=pistol.

So is your one hand on the pistol grip or the pump action. {forearm}

()pen(arry

So is your one hand on the pistol grip or the pump action. {forearm}

The key word, here, is "intended". In addition to following established BATFE regulations for a lever-action pistol, Henry has made it very clear they are reproducing the weapon Steve McQueen used in Wanted: Dead or Alive, which he used single-handed except when working the action. This is a pistol.

And there's no "pump action". Really, there isn't even a fore-grip. There's a protective, wooden cover on the underside of the barrel.

solus

and damn now that I've seen fotos at their site, it is now something I want to go find locally, hold, try, cuddle with, and see if one wants to come home and live at my house...but darn pricey...sigh

ya ya ya, holster also...geez guys quite exerting peer pressure on me would ya!!

ipse

addendum: 45colt or 44 mag or 357 mag please consider availability...and the purchase would be to scratch an itch not a wanted dead or alive mentality...

tks

Last edited:

The Big Dog

My questions have been answered, thank you all. I ordered my Mare's Leg on Friday the 13th and picked it up at a local FFL dealer in Renton yesterday. They did treat this as a pistol when I picked it up. The purchase price was much cheaper than MSRP at Bud's Guns online. My search for a holster continues, mostly because I shoot left handed. Most of the holsters are for right handed shooters and they use the saddle ring on the side of the pistol to help secure the pistol to the holster... The Mare's Leg looks and feels fantastic, never felt a gun that has such a solid feel in my hands....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My questions have been answered, thank you all. I ordered my Mare's Leg on Friday the 13th and picked it up at a local FFL dealer in Renton yesterday. They did treat this as a pistol when I picked it up. The purchase price was much cheaper than MSRP at Bud's Guns online. My search for a holster continues, mostly because I shoot left handed. Most of the holsters are for right handed shooters and they use the saddle ring on the side of the pistol to help secure the pistol to the holster... The Mare's Leg looks and feels fantastic, never felt a gun that has such a solid feel in my hands....
Will the saddle ring preclude using a left side holster?

Might be more practical to work on non-dominate hand skill sets with right side holster.

Last edited:

The Big Dog

Will the saddle ring preclude using a left side holster?

Might be more practical to work on non-dominate hand skill sets with right side holster.

The saddle ring only works for right hand holsters only, can't be moved to be used on left hand holster. Just looked at the Henry Store at www.henryrifles.com and they have a holster that can be used for both right and left hand shooters.... Not bad looking for the price.... Thinking it is where I'll start for now...

http://www.henryrifles.com/product/henry-mares-leg-holster/

40grit

The key word, here, is "intended". In addition to following established BATFE regulations for a lever-action pistol, Henry has made it very clear they are reproducing the weapon Steve McQueen used in Wanted: Dead or Alive, which he used single-handed except when working the action. This is a pistol.

And there's no "pump action". Really, there isn't even a fore-grip. There's a protective, wooden cover on the underside of the barrel.

I think there was some reading comprehension problems. I was referring to the Mossberg (just in case) with the pistol grip= pistol line.
Yes i know this forum is about a Henry's Mare"s leg. But bad information is just that. The Mossberg Cruiser, Just in case, 500 tactical, 500 Chainsaw , 590A1 Adjustable Stock , 535 Turkey Thug ,500 Thunder Ranch, and the list goes on and on of long guns with pistol grips not equalling pistols

solus

went into local GS and they had what the nice sales person said was a mares leg in the display case...for 495$. I am excited to perhaps I have found a used henry...then I saw it was a rossi ranch hand...
drat....
ipse

Last edited: