Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 1:00 PM (come early to socialize)

From the Facebook event page:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1592187871040889

This walk follows in the footsteps of walks conducted in 2014 at the University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University. Links to those walks are at the bottom of this post.

Long guns are welcome **with slings and proper muzzle control**, pistols too, and literature is encouraged (with/without a group's name).

** Recognizing that this is a educational, interactive, *public relations* walk, please leave “Don’t Tread on Me!”, “From My Cold Dead Hands!”, "3%", etc. flags/clothing, camo, grungy clothes, and signage at home. **

We're not trying to make the statement that "The militia has come to UA!"

The purpose of the walk is to inform and engage college students and the public about the right to keep and bear arms, including discussing how those rights are diminished by various laws - for instance, by making college campuses Criminal Empowerment Zones.

You, students, and the general public will get the most from this event by your being willing to engage people in conversation, by listening and responding, not by marching by people or by saying sternly "It's my RIGHT!" when asked why you're participating.

If you've not attended a prior walk, take a look at the links below. The OSU walk has a great videotape on the event page, and the UC walk has tons of discussion and conversation.

If you've not done anything like this before, you simply MUST come! ;-) Children are welcome and encouraged.

I will post more as things develop, including information about *safety*, parking, and eating arrangements.

The route is not yet set.

Feel free to ask questions in the meanwhile, and I hope to see you there.

University of Cincinnati Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838/

The Ohio State University Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421/

Please sign up and pass the word.

If you have questions, please ask them here or on the event page.
    Last edited by BB62; 04-02-2015 at 11:31 PM. Reason: inserted walk time

BB......I may try to make this as it's in my neck of the woods. Need to look at my skedule. There are a few who would come along with me poss.

Quote Originally Posted by 3FULLMAGS+1 View Post
    BB......I may try to make this as it's in my neck of the woods. Need to look at my skedule. There are a few who would come along with me poss.
    Excellent!!

Thanks very much for coming to the UC walk, and please invite all your Facebook friends to this one - and have them friend me if they want to know of other events I organize.

Thanks again.

This morning I spoke with Assistant Chief Weber of the UA Police Dept.

** On-campus is confirmed. ** The Asst. Chief offered the use of lot 27, at the corner of Hill & Forge, for free parking. This will be the assembly point also.

In progress: armed student participation & lunch arrangements.
    Last edited by BB62; 04-01-2015 at 09:34 AM.

I'll let my sister know about this. She's in Ohio, but not yet armed (she wants to, but wants to do some classes, first). I'll see if she wants to swing by for some face-to-face edyookashun.

I will try to make this also

Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    I'll let my sister know about this. She's in Ohio, but not yet armed (she wants to, but wants to do some classes, first). I'll see if she wants to swing by for some face-to-face edyookashun.
    That would be excellent. Thank you!

Please send her the Facebook link and ask her to ask questions and/or sign up there.

Quote Originally Posted by kd8bao View Post
    I will try to make this also
    Cool. Please sign up on the Facebook page if you think you can make it - bigger numbers draw even more people.

Already did

Best wishes on this from someone who attends the UA*... in Arizona.

Hope you guys have a great event and show passerby exactly how lazy the "super-scary-black-weapon-rifle-assault-clip-guns" really are. I mean, guns always need someone to manipulate them in order to have them do anything.

*UA as in "University of Arizona".
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-02-2015 at 01:01 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

I just had a very pleasant and interesting conversation with Alicia Finch, the Editor-in-Chief of the Buchtelite, the student newspaper of the University of Akron: http://buchtelite.com/

When I asked her if the event was going to be the subject of a newspaper article before the walk, she told me NO. The reason being that one of her reporters had called the UA police and had been told that the walk was **illegal**, so they weren't going to report on it until the day of the event...? <gasp> I straightened her out out that subject!

About 20 minutes of pleasant conversation later, after we discussed the walks at the University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University, and armed student participation at same, Ohio laws, Criminal Empowerment Zones, etc., we concluded our call.
    I also told her she definitely needed to watch the video of the walk at OSU, where dozens of students could be seen running screaming for their lives at the mere sight of participants... NOT.

If *readers* of this post watch the video, and I hope you do, my favorite part is where a student asks "So, are you guys technically allowed to have this (guns on campus)?" and I answer "Ask that guy right there" - pointing to an an occupied police cruiser across the street!

Again, please Facebook-invite and otherwise invite your friends, students or not, to this event.

As before, armed student participation and lunch arrangements are still being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Again, please Facebook-invite and otherwise invite your friends, students or not, to this event.
    I didn't do a technical invite via FB. But I did point my sister to the event's page, and gave her a few reasons why she might want to attend, even if she is going to carry primarily concealed.

I didn't do a technical invite via FB. But I did point my sister to the event's page, and gave her a few reasons why she might want to attend, even if she is going to carry primarily concealed.
    Thanks much for directing your sister to the event. I hope she comes.

PLEASE inform your sister than if she's coming armed, she will need to carry openly for the ON-CAMPUS portion of the walk.

She's not yet a firearm owner, so that's moot.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
    Mispellings may occur, but are not intenshunal.

She's not yet a firearm owner, so that's moot.
    Understood!

It would be great for her to be there. Women get lots more attention and interaction than us guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Cool. Please sign up on the Facebook page if you think you can make it - bigger numbers draw even more people.
    is the option available if you lack access to FB?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BB I see nothing that would hinder me from coming yet. I didn't see a time to meet in your original post....maybe on the FB notification?

BB I see nothing that would hinder me from coming yet. I didn't see a time to meet in your original post....maybe on the FB notification?
    Excellent!

The time is on the event page - if you don't see it in the description let me know. I will change the original post - thanks for noticing.

I would like to depart from lot 27 (corner of Hill & Forge), where free parking is available, at 1:00 PM. Come early to socialize.

If I can make it I will....socialize, that is and I sent some FB invites too.....and depending on the driving arrangements, my 12 and 6 yr old may come!

If I can make it I will....socialize, that is and I sent some FB invites too.....and depending on the driving arrangements, my 12 and 6 yr old may come!
    Great! I look forward to it.

I wish these walks would fall on a different day; I work most Saturdays, but understand. I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRugers View Post
    I wish these walks would fall on a different day; I work most Saturdays, but understand. I'll see what I can do.
    I understand, and you're not the only person who has said that. In this case, it's a 3 1/2 hr drive for me, and for the people who don't have to drive as far, but have to work on Monday, I'm thinking they'd like a day of rest before the week starts.

I will post something on the walk page, at some point, just to see if that would change interest for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    is the option available if you lack access to FB?

ipse
    No, signups are limited to those who are members of Facebook. You can see the event page without being a Facebook member, though.
    Last edited by BB62; 04-03-2015 at 12:19 PM.

** NEWS FLASH: Armed Student Participation **

This morning I received an e-mail from UA Vice President & General Counsel (head lawyer) Ted Mallo. It thoroughly addressed the issue of armed student participation at the walk. A *portion* of it said "Lawful “open carry” is not prohibited conduct under The University’s Code of Student Conduct."

>> Quite appropriately, the e-mail also contained other advisory and cautionary information - none of which should be of concern to an individual, student or not, who conducts themselves appropriately and legally at this event or anywhere else. <<

I have a great deal of respect for the manner in which Mr. Mallo has represented UA and conducted himself, and I will be following up with him today in order to see about creating a summary of his communication which is succinct, yet comprehensive, so I can publish it in its entirety.

Bottom line - legally armed student participation is ON.
    Last edited by BB62; 04-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.

I may have that weekend open actually, will need to verify but if I do I'll see if I can't get out with y'all.
    I'm what Willis was talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast