• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I wish these walks would fall on a different day; I work most Saturdays, but understand. I'll see what I can do.
I understand, and you're not the only person who has said that. In this case, it's a 3 1/2 hr drive for me, and for the people who don't have to drive as far, but have to work on Monday, I'm thinking they'd like a day of rest before the week starts.

I will post something on the walk page, at some point, just to see if that would change interest for the next one.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
** NEWS FLASH: Armed Student Participation **

This morning I received an e-mail from UA Vice President & General Counsel (head lawyer) Ted Mallo. It thoroughly addressed the issue of armed student participation at the walk. A *portion* of it said "Lawful “open carry” is not prohibited conduct under The University’s Code of Student Conduct." :cool: :cool:

>> Quite appropriately, the e-mail also contained other advisory and cautionary information - none of which should be of concern to an individual, student or not, who conducts themselves appropriately and legally at this event or anywhere else. <<

I have a great deal of respect for the manner in which Mr. Mallo has represented UA and conducted himself, and I will be following up with him today in order to see about creating a summary of his communication which is succinct, yet comprehensive, so I can publish it in its entirety.

Bottom line - legally armed student participation is ON.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
As I previously said I would do, I followed up with Mr. Mallo to request that he summarize his communication in a succinct and more understandable manner. Today I received a note from Associate General Counsel Scott Campbell that Mr. Mallo's communication would stand as originally issued. :cry:

So... fire up your law library and check out Mr. Mallo's initial reply: (the ellipses are Mr. Mallo's):

"Mr. Smith…

…thank you for your below e-mail and for informing us that you that you have been in contact with Assistant Chief Weber.

The University of Akron’s Student Conduct Code is a rule adopted by our Board of Trustees. I have no authority to unilaterally waive enforcement of a Board rule and thus must decline your request in your e-mail that I state that the University will waive enforcement of its student conduct rules in connection with students participating in this event.

However, please note that with respect to possession or use of weapons on campus that the prohibited conduct in the University of Akron’s Student Conduct Code is limited to that set forth in the rule…specifically,

“… “Unlawful or unauthorized possession of firearms, fireworks, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals, or using any such item, even if lawfully possessed, in a manner that harms, threatens or causes fear to others…” [O.A.C. 3359-41-01 (D)(12); underlined added]

Lawful “open carry” is not prohibited conduct under The University’s Code of Student Conduct.

If however, for example, a student was under a court order prohibiting the student from possession of a firearm, and the student violated that court order by participating in the “open carry” activity on the University campus, a violation of the Student Conduct Code (as well as criminal code violations) could be pursued against the student. Likewise, if a student participating in the “open carry” activity used such weapon “…in a manner that harms, threatens or causes fear to others…”, then in such event, the student may be subject to a violation of the Student Conduct Code. Also, it is important to note that the University leases property on its main campus to the Akron Public Schools for the conduct of a STEM high school and that an Akron Public Schools STEM middle school is adjacent to the University main campus.

Again, thank you for your cooperation in seeking to promote a lawful and safe activity.

Ted Mallo"

solus

so, has Mr. Mallo's response changed anything? especially since the chatter on this site about the event has apparently died?

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
so, has Mr. Mallo's response changed anything? especially since the chatter on this site about the event has apparently died?
His response, which I condensed previously, is unchanged.

Essentially what it says is "Armed students who participate, as long as they are legally armed and otherwise acting in a legal manner, are free to participate without concern of violating the Student Conduct Code".

I did make contact with a few UA students, and I believe a couple of them are signed up for the walk.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
** NEWS ARTICLE ** UA Student Newspaper: The Buchtelite

We've made the bigtime!! Grant Morgan, a student and the News Editor of The Buchtelite, the UA student newspaper, and I have talked extensively about the walk over the past few days. One result is the article linked below, and Mr. Morgan tells me that there will be a follow-up article after the walk also.

>> Remember - armed students ARE cordially invited to participate. <<

FYI - there are a few corrections/clarifications that I will be sending to Mr. Morgan, so please refrain from listing them until the article is revised.

http://buchtelite.com/269…/news/open-carry-walk-on-saturday/