• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 1:00 PM (come early to socialize)

From the Facebook event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1592187871040889

This walk follows in the footsteps of walks conducted in 2014 at the University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University. Links to those walks are at the bottom of this post.

Long guns are welcome **with slings and proper muzzle control**, pistols too, and literature is encouraged (with/without a group's name).

** Recognizing that this is a educational, interactive, *public relations* walk, please leave “Don’t Tread on Me!”, “From My Cold Dead Hands!”, "3%", etc. flags/clothing, camo, grungy clothes, and signage at home. **

We're not trying to make the statement that "The militia has come to UA!"

The purpose of the walk is to inform and engage college students and the public about the right to keep and bear arms, including discussing how those rights are diminished by various laws - for instance, by making college campuses Criminal Empowerment Zones.

You, students, and the general public will get the most from this event by your being willing to engage people in conversation, by listening and responding, not by marching by people or by saying sternly "It's my RIGHT!" when asked why you're participating.

If you've not attended a prior walk, take a look at the links below. The OSU walk has a great videotape on the event page, and the UC walk has tons of discussion and conversation.

If you've not done anything like this before, you simply MUST come! ;-) Children are welcome and encouraged.

I will post more as things develop, including information about *safety*, parking, and eating arrangements.

The route is not yet set.

Feel free to ask questions in the meanwhile, and I hope to see you there.

University of Cincinnati Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838/

The Ohio State University Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421/

Please sign up and pass the word.

If you have questions, please ask them here or on the event page.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
BB......I may try to make this as it's in my neck of the woods. Need to look at my skedule. There are a few who would come along with me poss.
Excellent!! :banana:

Thanks very much for coming to the UC walk, and please invite all your Facebook friends to this one - and have them friend me if they want to know of other events I organize.

Thanks again.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This morning I spoke with Assistant Chief Weber of the UA Police Dept.

** On-campus is confirmed. ** The Asst. Chief offered the use of lot 27, at the corner of Hill & Forge, for free parking. This will be the assembly point also.

In progress: armed student participation & lunch arrangements.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

I'll let my sister know about this. She's in Ohio, but not yet armed (she wants to, but wants to do some classes, first). I'll see if she wants to swing by for some face-to-face edyookashun.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'll let my sister know about this. She's in Ohio, but not yet armed (she wants to, but wants to do some classes, first). I'll see if she wants to swing by for some face-to-face edyookashun.
That would be excellent. Thank you!

Please send her the Facebook link and ask her to ask questions and/or sign up there.

Rusty Young Man

Best wishes on this from someone who attends the UA*... in Arizona.:p

Hope you guys have a great event and show passerby exactly how lazy the "super-scary-black-weapon-rifle-assault-clip-guns" really are. I mean, guns always need someone to manipulate them in order to have them do anything. :p :lol:

*UA as in "University of Arizona".

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I just had a very pleasant and interesting conversation with Alicia Finch, the Editor-in-Chief of the Buchtelite, the student newspaper of the University of Akron: http://buchtelite.com/

When I asked her if the event was going to be the subject of a newspaper article before the walk, she told me NO. :cry: The reason being that one of her reporters had called the UA police and had been told that the walk was **illegal**, so they weren't going to report on it until the day of the event...? <gasp> I straightened her out out that subject! :cool:

About 20 minutes of pleasant conversation later, after we discussed the walks at the University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University, and armed student participation at same, Ohio laws, Criminal Empowerment Zones, etc., we concluded our call.
I also told her she definitely needed to watch the video of the walk at OSU, where dozens of students could be seen running screaming for their lives at the mere sight of participants... NOT.

If *readers* of this post watch the video, and I hope you do, my favorite part is where a student asks "So, are you guys technically allowed to have this (guns on campus)?" and I answer "Ask that guy right there" - pointing to an an occupied police cruiser across the street!

Again, please Facebook-invite and otherwise invite your friends, students or not, to this event.

As before, armed student participation and lunch arrangements are still being worked on.

jackrockblc

Again, please Facebook-invite and otherwise invite your friends, students or not, to this event.

I didn't do a technical invite via FB. But I did point my sister to the event's page, and gave her a few reasons why she might want to attend, even if she is going to carry primarily concealed.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I didn't do a technical invite via FB. But I did point my sister to the event's page, and gave her a few reasons why she might want to attend, even if she is going to carry primarily concealed.
Thanks much for directing your sister to the event. :monkey I hope she comes.

PLEASE inform your sister than if she's coming armed, she will need to carry openly for the ON-CAMPUS portion of the walk.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
BB I see nothing that would hinder me from coming yet. I didn't see a time to meet in your original post....maybe on the FB notification?
Excellent!

The time is on the event page - if you don't see it in the description let me know. I will change the original post - thanks for noticing.

I would like to depart from lot 27 (corner of Hill & Forge), where free parking is available, at 1:00 PM. Come early to socialize.