• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
As posted to Facebook:

A big THANK YOU to those who came from far and wide to attend this walk. FANTASTIC turnout, FANTASTIC group! Upwards of 40 people attended.

While the weather kept a number of dorm and Greek house residents inside, the number of students who took part in the walk rivaled or exceeded those who attended the University of Cincinnati walk - 13 or 14! (some were camera shy, though) Quite a few were armed, having been informed by The Buchtelite article, a campus-wide alert, and even a radio show.

It's clear from the many conversations that I and others had that students would like to see even more outreach. The walk definitely struck a chord. In fact, mention was made of having a mid-week walk, and I told the students I'd be glad to help with such an endeavor. Because of UA's reasonable Code of Student Conduct, there's no reason to have an >empty< holster day - it can be **FULL**!

The weather was predicted to include rain, but in reality it was dry, chilly, and during the walk to Lock3 park, it was blue skies and sunny!
:cool:
Another big THANK YOU goes to Assistant Chief Weber of the UAPD, Officers Gedeon and Jackson, Mr. Ted Mallo (General Counsel), Eileen Korey (Chief Communications Officer) - all from UA. Also, I'm very grateful to Grant Morgan and The Buchtelite (!), Rick Armon of the Akron Beacon Journal, and Karen Farkas of the NW Ohio Media Group for their timely and accurate articles.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
If you know a UA student who was at the walk, or who wants to build on the achievements of this walk, have them contact me.

As I posted to the Facebook event page:

"Alright folks - let's talk about the next phase. A number of students asked about having an activity mid-week, or duringSpringfest. As I said at the walk, I'll be glad to help make that a reality.

If you're an interested party (Jeff M. and others), please message me on Facebook and we can discuss next steps.

This walk, combined with UA's reasonable firearm policy, has opened the door to more activism and more conversations at UA - so if you want to keep things going,let's talk!"

matthollycart

Just missed it

That's too bad I just found out about this. I would have come and taken my family. I am glad to hear of the news though.