Thread: Carry in San Padro Riparian National Conservation Area

Carry in San Padro Riparian National Conservation Area

This area is in Southern Arizona near Sierra Vista. On the BLM website it talks about hunting and target shooting restrictions. This sign (see attached) says "No Firearms (Except for Regulated Hunting in Designated Areas)". Is this just an outdated sign or are conservation areas off-limits to open and concealed carry?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	12463  

Quote Originally Posted by lax View Post
    This area is in Southern Arizona near Sierra Vista. On the BLM website it talks about hunting and target shooting restrictions. This sign (see attached) says "No Firearms (Except for Regulated Hunting in Designated Areas)". Is this just an outdated sign or are conservation areas off-limits to open and concealed carry?
    Was this the site?
    http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/blm...ea/sprnca.html

I'm not sure in this case. The San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area. Not "national park", but "national conservation area".

When I went to the Grand Canyon National Park two months ago, I looked on the National Park Service site (http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm) and saw that they DID recognize the 2010 congressional law and no longer criminalize carry in national parks (see this brochure they linked to:http://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/manage...arks2-2010.pdf not too bad, I have to say).

I'll keep digging, but sorry to not be able to answer your query.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-02-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

We have nearby National Conservation Areas, managed by the BLM, also. They are NOT under the National Park Service or National Wildlife Refuge system, and therefore did not benefit from the law that allows carrying there.

I do not know if there are centralized BLM rules for National Conservation Areas, but our local Red Rock National Conservation Area in Nevada allows unloaded carrying of firearms. The BLM doodz are actually quite polite about enforcing it, but still send people to their cars to comply.

However, a National Recreation Area is under the National Park Service, and does qualify. Lake Mead National Recreation Area between NV and AZ is an example. Some of the signs came down after the law passed, but many did not. They do know the law, though, and don't say a word to you, even in the areas that still have the signs up. It apparently isn't anyone's job to remove the signs.
    Last edited by MAC702; 04-02-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Thanks for your help. Some digging at the link you provided comes up with this:

...the area between Charleston Road and Highway 92 is closed to the immediate possession or discharge of firearms during the entire year. Firearms possession and discharge for regulated hunting as authorized by the State of Arizona is permitted in the area north of Charleston Road and in the area south of Arizona Highway 92 to the Mexican border, from September 1 to March 31.

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/blm...a/hunting.html
    Last edited by lax; 04-02-2015 at 11:50 PM.

People 'been carrying in their vehicles between Tombstone and Sorry Vista since... forever. Not so 'out and about' such as Contention or Charleston 'ruins'.