• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT Action Needed - Campus Carry intentionally stalled in FL Senate

StogieC

Campaign Veteran

http://conta.cc/19MHQdC

The Judiciary Committee Chair, Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla refuses to calendar the campus carry bill.

The college campus carry bill, SB 176, is now stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The committee is under bombardment by Bloomberg's gun control groups generated propaganda including a new television ad, and the chair, Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, Has not yet to put the bill on the committee calendar.

Its House companion bill, HB 4005, has completed all of its committee stops, having been reported favorably at each one with bipartisan support, and now awaits SB 176.

Senate President, Andy Gardiner, also refuses to see to it that the two remaining committee chairmen calendar the bill despite its companion bill's overwhelming success in the House.

This is intolerable!!!

Through his resistance to calendar SB 176, Sen. Diaz de la Portilla is ignoring the success of the House companion bill for his own personal reasons, and denying the bill its deserved consideration by the remaining Senate committees. This is an intentional attempt at running out the clock, so fellow Senators are not put in the position of having to vote yea or nay on the right to bear arms on campus.

In this way, they can claim support for self defense by honestly saying they've never voted against a pro-gun bill.

It's easy to say that when one doesn't have to vote at all!

Friends, we need to melt down the email servers and phone lines of the Senate President, the Chairmen of the final two Senate committees, and the committee members themselves.

If we don't do this, campus carry dies here and now. There simply isn't time for the House bill to make it all the way through the Senate committees, and it will see the same resistance as SB 176.

Remember that whether you contact the committee members either by email or by phone, to be courteous and respectful above all else. Be sure to keep your message brief, and thank them for their time.

In the subject line put: Calendar SB 176 Immediately!

(Block and Copy All email addresses into the "Send To" box)

gardiner.andy.web@flsenate.gov;
portilla.miguel.web@flsenate.gov;
simmons.david.web@flsenate.gov;

Sample Body:

Dear Senator,

The fact that SB 176 has not been placed on the calendar of the Senate Judiciary Committee is unacceptable. This bill is opposed by big money from out of state, but we Floridians are the ones who will live under the law. Its companion bill in the House has been reported favorably by all assigned committees and is now awaiting action by the Senate.

The failure to calendar the bill appears to be a hollow attempt at protecting Senators from having to go on record with a position on the bill. That one Senator has the ability to run out the clock on an timely and important bill, with similar bills being heard in a dozen other states, is completely unacceptable.

This is about licensed adults, responsibly protecting themselves on campus, just as they do off campus, and over a quarter century of statistics from the Licensing Department of DOACS as proof.

Calendar SB 176 NOW!.

77zach

Wow, he's anti gun! He joins other intellectual giants like Senator Joyner and Senator Sachs. So much for an OC bill next year, he was against it in 2011 so obviously he hasn't seen the light. His first "affiliation" on the biography page is "national rifle association". LOL.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s40

Last edited:

77zach

Republican Senator Andy Gardiner takes most of the blame.

ALERT: Florida Senate President Andy Gardiner (R-13) uses Harry Reid RINO tactics to suppress YOUR civil rights and instead supports gun-hating progressive Democrat agenda

Senate Judiciary Committee chair Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla places bill on today's calendar, ordered to remove, and not to recalendar by Gardiner

Florida Carry has learned that SB 176, the college campus carry bill whose companion in the House, HB 4005 has already cleared all committees, has been ordered killed by one person - Senate President Andy Gardiner.

After staff for Senate Judiciary Committee chair Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla assured Florida Carry that SB 176 would be heard April 7th, Sen. Gardiner immediately ordered that the bill be removed from the calendar and not to reschedule it. Clearly caving to the anti-gun Senate Democrats rather than abiding the pro-gun Republican platform.

The House Campus Carry bill (HB 4005) sailed through all House committees with substantial bipartisan support. Representative Rehwinkel Vasilinda (D-9, Leon County), a college professor, felt compelled to testify before the House Higher Education committee about her personal experience with a violent sexual assault during her college years that was only stopped because she was able to access her firearm to end the attack. Yet, Senate President Andy Gardiner would deny you that life saving access to self-defense.

Senator Diaz de la Portilla attempted to do the work of the people, but by intentionally preventing the bill from being heard, Sen. Gardiner will be personally responsible for the continuation of the same failed policies that lead to the brutal rape of Amanda Collins.

Please IMMEDIATELY contact Senator Gardiner and tell him that carrying water for Senate Democrats by blocking a vote on SB 176 is unacceptable and beneath a Republican Senate President!

As always, please be respectful but stern in your communications to the Senator. We know that may be difficult but please try.

gardiner.andy.web@flsenate.gov
https://www.facebook.com/Gardiner.Andy

District Office Orlando
(407) 428-5800

Tallahassee Office
(850) 487-5013

GIdeon_70

It looks like Portilla was ordered by Gardner to pull the bill.

I there any protests organized yet? WE need to march on this guys offices int he nest day or two!~!!!!

http://conta.cc/19MHQdC

The Judiciary Committee Chair, Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla refuses to calendar the campus carry bill.

The college campus carry bill, SB 176, is now stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The committee is under bombardment by Bloomberg's gun control groups generated propaganda including a new television ad, and the chair, Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, Has not yet to put the bill on the committee calendar.

Its House companion bill, HB 4005, has completed all of its committee stops, having been reported favorably at each one with bipartisan support, and now awaits SB 176.

Senate President, Andy Gardiner, also refuses to see to it that the two remaining committee chairmen calendar the bill despite its companion bill's overwhelming success in the House.

This is intolerable!!!

Through his resistance to calendar SB 176, Sen. Diaz de la Portilla is ignoring the success of the House companion bill for his own personal reasons, and denying the bill its deserved consideration by the remaining Senate committees. This is an intentional attempt at running out the clock, so fellow Senators are not put in the position of having to vote yea or nay on the right to bear arms on campus.

In this way, they can claim support for self defense by honestly saying they've never voted against a pro-gun bill.

It's easy to say that when one doesn't have to vote at all!

Friends, we need to melt down the email servers and phone lines of the Senate President, the Chairmen of the final two Senate committees, and the committee members themselves.

If we don't do this, campus carry dies here and now. There simply isn't time for the House bill to make it all the way through the Senate committees, and it will see the same resistance as SB 176.

Remember that whether you contact the committee members either by email or by phone, to be courteous and respectful above all else. Be sure to keep your message brief, and thank them for their time.

In the subject line put: Calendar SB 176 Immediately!

(Block and Copy All email addresses into the "Send To" box)

gardiner.andy.web@flsenate.gov;
portilla.miguel.web@flsenate.gov;
simmons.david.web@flsenate.gov;

Sample Body:

Dear Senator,

The fact that SB 176 has not been placed on the calendar of the Senate Judiciary Committee is unacceptable. This bill is opposed by big money from out of state, but we Floridians are the ones who will live under the law. Its companion bill in the House has been reported favorably by all assigned committees and is now awaiting action by the Senate.

The failure to calendar the bill appears to be a hollow attempt at protecting Senators from having to go on record with a position on the bill. That one Senator has the ability to run out the clock on an timely and important bill, with similar bills being heard in a dozen other states, is completely unacceptable.

This is about licensed adults, responsibly protecting themselves on campus, just as they do off campus, and over a quarter century of statistics from the Licensing Department of DOACS as proof.

Calendar SB 176 NOW!.

77zach

I'm planning a trip from Daytona to his offices in Bravard. If anyone in the Daytona Ormond area want to go, then I'll have three open seats in the back.

My number is 386 three three three 179 two

Gardiner is not running reelection. He is taking our anger away from Portilla and others. You can call Portilla, the chairman of the judiciary committee, and ask him to schedule it at (305) 643-7200. He can do it if he wants to.

ADulay

OK, I'll admit that I'm really not up to speed on how "the political system" really works.

I thought I had a handle on it but didn't realize that no matter how much time and effort and fact finding you put into any kind of legislation, pretty much anybody with a gavel can just say "Sorry, can't be bothered" and everything goes away?

What's wrong with this picture?

Assuming we all send emails and letters and faxes, etc, what is the penalty for just dropping legislation because somebody can't be bothered or doesn't like it?

There's lot of things I don't like. Can I just "table" those items and be done with them?

At least I get those really swell form letter replies/emails from these jerks after I send them a well thought out message.

AD

77zach

OK, I'll admit that I'm really not up to speed on how "the political system" really works.

I thought I had a handle on it but didn't realize that no matter how much time and effort and fact finding you put into any kind of legislation, pretty much anybody with a gavel can just say "Sorry, can't be bothered" and everything goes away?

What's wrong with this picture?

Assuming we all send emails and letters and faxes, etc, what is the penalty for just dropping legislation because somebody can't be bothered or doesn't like it?

There's lot of things I don't like. Can I just "table" those items and be done with them?

At least I get those really swell form letter replies/emails from these jerks after I send them a well thought out message.

AD

Either Portilla or Gardiner can schedule it. They're both blaming each other. Gardiner says it's up to Portilla (Even though Gardiner as President could force it to be heard) and Portilla says Gardiner told him not to schedule it ( Even though Portilla doesn't have to listen to Gardiner). This protects any other anti gun Republicans (I repeat myself, this is the Fl senate) from having to vote for it and they both get to say "I support your 2nd amendment rights".

The system works reasonably well. The problem is that the Bill of Rights were never supposed to be up for a vote. Once you lose a right it's very difficult to get it back, especially in a state full of mentally defective Democrats and Neocons.

Ironside

Gardiner Denies Stalling the Bill

Here is the reply I received after an email to Gardiner;

Good Afternoon Mr. [Ironside],

Thank you for your comments on Senate Bill 176, which would delete a provision of law that currently prohibits concealed carry licensees from carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon or firearm into a college or university facility.

Throughout Senator Gardiner’s 14 years of serving in the Florida Legislature, he has been a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights and has consistently earned straight A ratings from the NRA.

Despite what you may have read, it is the Senators who Chair our committees who make the final decisions on what bills receive a hearing. Senator Gardiner has not blocked any legislation from receiving a hearing in committee or on the Senate floor.
Again, thank you for informing our office of your opinion on this issue as the bill continues to move through the process.

Sincerely,

Gina Herron
Legislative Assistant to Senator Andy Gardiner

77zach

Lie by omission. They can both do what they want. Portilla can schedule it at his peril if the Senate president asks him not to. Gardiner can pull it from committee or force him to hear it. Either way we're screwed because of these anti rights ashats.

GIdeon_70

THIS IS NOT ENOUGH!

(850) 487-5040

This is his office number, and what I was told when I called was that they were NOT AWARE THAT THERE WAS AN ISSUE!

THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WE EXIST!

I spoke with Greg Evers, and he said call, call, call, call and call - because that is what the anti-gunners are doing!

Mas49.56

Well that's that.:mad:

"Democrats in both chambers have worked to suppress their glee as GOP lawmakers go to war with each other."

http://www.northescambia.com/2015/04/florida-senate-weighs-legal-action-against-house