• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discreet Open Carry?

sudden valley gunner

The phrase originated with a certain gun blogger who still loves to write about people "open carrying at" people. Said blogger, for instance, considers a group of OCers getting together and walking about the twee neighborhood where said blogger lives as OCing at people.

Said blogger, a paid employee of a certain magazine dedicated to the opposite of open carry, has several times admitted to open carrying at locations outside the range. Mostly with aquaintances who meet up for breakfast before heading off to some range or are heading home from some range.

This phrase has been picked up by other bloggers - some of whom follow the originator's thoughts and some of whom are a little more lenient about a group of folks going about their daily lives/business while OCing. But $diety help you if you are OCing to make a point - no matter what that point may be.

stay safe.

Even if the point is to normalize OC?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Even if the point is to normalize OC?

Iff'n it aint normal it must be the spawn of the debble hisself.

You lose tactical advantage.

It does not cause panic in the streets.

And on and on and on.

But at least for the specific blogger there is no "It cracks my rice bowl" BS.

stay safe.

utbagpiper

Banned
Iff'n it aint normal it must be the spawn of the debble hisself.

You lose tactical advantage.

It does not cause panic in the streets.

And on and on and on.

Sounds more and more like those who use terms like "impose government on others without their consent."

If I didn't consent my rights are being infringed.

Government is rape and theft.

And on and on and on.

Turns out, civilization doesn't just happen. It has to be fought for, imposed, and maintained.

But I'm off topic.

Charles

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
OC by someone who keeps his mouth shut while doing it? :)

Then I am very discreet when I OC. If someone talks to me while OC I just give a little smile and nod, look around furtively and try to escape to an area with fewer people while doing my best to cover my pistol with my arm and twisting away from them so they can't see it. I think this strategy keeps people from freaking out about my gun and earns respect from the public as shown by all the people who follow me around in stores watching my discreetness most likely to learn from my skillz. :cool:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Then I am very discreet when I OC. If someone talks to me while OC I just give a little smile and nod, look around furtively and try to escape to an area with fewer people while doing my best to cover my pistol with my arm and twisting away from them so they can't see it. I think this strategy keeps people from freaking out about my gun and earns respect from the public as shown by all the people who follow me around in stores watching my discreetness most likely to learn from my skillz. :cool:

:D

I'm wonder if anybody has done a study about the effects of various air mixtures on humility. :p:)

Maverick9

The phrase originated with a certain gun blogger who still loves to write about people "open carrying at" people. Said blogger, for instance, considers a group of OCers getting together and walking about the twee neighborhood where said blogger lives as OCing at people.

Said blogger, a paid employee of a certain magazine dedicated to the opposite of open carry, has several times admitted to open carrying at locations outside the range. Mostly with aquaintances who meet up for breakfast before heading off to some range or are heading home from some range.

This phrase has been picked up by other bloggers - some of whom follow the originator's thoughts and some of whom are a little more lenient about a group of folks going about their daily lives/business while OCing. But $diety help you if you are OCing to make a point - no matter what that point may be.

stay safe.

I have to say I'd feel very, very safe and unconcerned encountering a group of mixed gender and age OCing, walking around acting normal than almost any other method of OC.

Even if it's ostentatious, I don't see how it's threatening.

sota

You have no idea who I was referring to, do you?

Of course when discussing CC-biased bloggers you had a 33.3% chance of being right by picking "he".

stay safe.

Oddly enough, when I read your post I immediately thought of a female blogger, who also happens to have a propensity towards amateur photography.

sota

Dat's da one!

stay safe.

aye. I like her for the most part, but she runs with a particular online crowd that are MOST DEFINITELY ANTI-OC. I've tried to debate with them but I prefer to reserve :banghead: activities for things that I might actually win.

Last edited:

Sirrah Greed

I keep reading and hearing this, but I will be darn if I understand what is discrete OC. Is it carry with the shirt covering most of the gun except for the bottom of holster or slide? Is is walking, standing with the gun side away from everybody who might see it? Or is it concealing but wearing gun clothing, or clothing that announces that you are concealed carry? Or maybe it is CC with one of those CC sash, or badges?

There is nothing, IMO, discrete about our OC, nor do I want it to be. The whole purpose of OCing is so the bad guys can clearly see you are not a victim. Our Handguns are clearly visible in OWB holsters, nothing covering the guns in any way. IMO there is no such thing as discrete OC, but hey that does not sound tactikewl.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/
Method of Carry
Q: Do I need to carry my firearm concealed or may I carry openly?
A: Under the law, a Georgia Weapons License holder may carry a weapon or long gun openly or concealed in any location that is not off limits. However, should you choose to openly carry a handgun, please be aware of the image you present to the public while doing so. They vote.

This seems to imply, to me, that Open Carry should be partially hid, as not to frighten sheep. Maybe that's what it's about.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/
Method of Carry
Q: Do I need to carry my firearm concealed or may I carry openly?
A: Under the law, a Georgia Weapons License holder may carry a weapon or long gun openly or concealed in any location that is not off limits. However, should you choose to openly carry a handgun, please be aware of the image you present to the public while doing so. They vote.

This seems to imply, to me, that Open Carry should be partially hid, as not to frighten sheep. Maybe that's what it's about.

See no suggestion to keep it partially hidden - just that one should be cognizant of their own demeanor.

To other people, we are judged by what they perceive us to be.....and their preconceived notions.

We educate by OCing.

Last edited:

travr6

Maybe they meant to say "Technically Open Carry"?:confused: You know, wearing a shirt that is covering everything except the bottom tip of the holster, or wearing a deep CC gun with just the corner of the backstrap/butt of the gun sticking out.:rolleyes:

I agree with utbagpiper in that OC of a holstered handgun tends to be discrete. Unless you're adorning yourself with tacticool gear (thigh rigs for super-operator kewlness, tactical vests for super-operator load-bearing-ness, etc.:lol:), most people don't really notice an OCed sidearm.
Really, only children regularly spot me carrying. Adults tend to be oblivious, even when you DO wear colors that contrast with it, such as wearing a full-size stainless 1911 with a black holster against light-blue jeans and a white shirt. Ask me how I know.;)
Why is a thigh rig considered tacticool kewlness?
So open carry the way you do it is right but the way someone else does it is silly?

Last edited:

OC for ME

If I didn't consent my rights are being infringed.
Government is rape and theft.
Turns out, civilization doesn't just happen. It has to be fought for, imposed, and maintained.
...s
Philosophically speaking...yes.

If my non-participation in civilization harms no one but only the state's sensibilities...

The term discreet OC is nothing but scratching, by the my way/highway crowd, at the unfettered right to carry a firearm as one sees fit.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The whole purpose of OCing is so the bad guys can clearly see you are not a victim. Our Handguns are clearly visible in OWB holsters, nothing covering the guns in any way. IMO there is no such thing as discrete OC, but hey that does not sound tactikewl.

I EDC a Ruger P85 right now. It is a big truck of a gun, once described a a huge slab of metal. I like it. Most people who I interact with on my daily parade just do not notice it on my hip. I consider that discreet carry.

Now, on the other hand, when I do an event, like the Oyster Run this past weekend, I wear something a little less discreet. This time it was a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel and a nicely carved western style holster. I could not hide it if I wanted to. This is not discreet carry, but it sure was a conversation starter.