Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Fund Me campaign to get guns back from Sheriff

Go Fund Me campaign to get guns back from Sheriff

Campaign here:

http://www.gofundme.com/qv3wa4

Details of the issue here:

http://m.tribdem.com/news/cambria-co....html?mode=jqm

The plan is to get Prince Law to help in identifying the victim of this outragous fee and to get the money to the guy to either pay the fee or reimburse him for paying the fee.

Thanks for looking.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I think a female and a judge need to pay for it.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Small claims suit and push for a charge of false reporting.

If we can identify the guy there is an attorney who is willing to represent him pro bono - will only charge actual expenses.

So yes, all the stuff all y'all say ought to happen possibly might happen. But in the meantime the guy needs to get his guns back.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The media reporter might have some knowledge as to his identity and be convinced to have him contact you.

Other than that, a FOIA to the sheriff might be the only route. Don't know if there would be any reason to deny it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The media reporter might have some knowledge as to his identity and be convinced to have him contact you.

Other than that, a FOIA to the sheriff might be the only route. Don't know if there would be any reason to deny it.
    The reporter is withholding the identity.

Need someone on the ground to search SO/court records. The atttorney may consider sending someone to do that.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Wonder if anyone from pafoa is aware or involved in any way, particularly Cambria County.

http://forum.pafoa.org/cambria-47/

I have put the question out there.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-04-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Wonder if anyone from pafoa is aware or involved in any way, particularly Cambria County.

http://forum.pafoa.org/cambria-47/

I have put the question out there.
    Please go back to PAFOA and edit your post. There is an attorney who is considering what your post suggests he is committed to doing. And you might also remove mention of the law firm until a committment is made.

Thanks.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Please go back to PAFOA and edit your post. There is an attorney who is considering what your post suggests he is committed to doing. And you might also remove mention of the law firm until a committment is made.

Thanks.

stay safe.
    Done.

Instead of looking for a lawyer who will work for free or paying the fees charged by the Sheriff, how about funding a political campaign to unelect the Sheriff. Nothing gets a politician's attention like the prospect of being recalled or unelected.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Instead of looking for a lawyer who will work for free or paying the fees charged by the Sheriff, how about funding a political campaign to unelect the Sheriff. Nothing gets a politician's attention like the prospect of being recalled or unelected.
    check your PMs

----Allahpundit

I was thinking (dangerous I know) but is there a state law that permits the sheriff to charge for this??

To my way of thinking the sheriff can not go about charging "fees" willy nilly or what is to stop him from charging fees just to walk in his office or charging $1,000 for a CCW or any danged thing else he wants. Most things for which a local government charges for (like I just had to have VIN verification to get a new title because of moving to different state) are specified by state law. The state sets how much the sheriff can charge for a CCW processing my VIN verification fee was set by the state etc.

If there is no state law permitting this "firearm processing" fee then it is illegal, and I would thing opens the way for a "color of law" action.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    If there is no state law permitting this "firearm processing" fee then it is illegal, and I would thing opens the way for a "color of law" action.
    Maybe after the guy gets his guns back.

Frustratingly, not too many folks seem concerned about that.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I know a guy who, in a town in the mountains of Virginia, was arrested for Grand Larceny on a Sunday morning. He had the receipt - with his name and card number on the receipt - from when he bought the camera that the report said he stole. Guess who told the cops he stole the camera? Ex ol' lady. The guy still went to jail.
    Last edited by The Truth; 04-09-2015 at 02:12 AM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I know a guy who, in a town in the mountains of Virginia, was arrested for Grand Larceny on a Sunday morning. He had the receipt - with his name and card number on the receipt - from when he bought the camera that the report said he stole. Guess who told the cops he stole the camera? Ex ol' lady. The guy still went to jail.
    Bad cops. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

While the generalities may be accurate, I seriously doubt that "his name and card number" were on the receipt.

He went to jail (got the ride), but was he convicted and regarding larceny from whom - his ex or the store?

I could envision a problem if she claimed the camera was a gift to her and that he stole it after they were separated.

I could envision a problem if she claimed the camera was a gift to her and that he stole it after they were separated.
    I could claim that a vehicle that you "store" in your driveway, with your name and "card" number on the receipt" was a gift from me and you refuse to return it me, the one who gave it to you as a gift...that is.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Unless and until somebody hears from this guy or his attorney, we are just shooting blanks in the dark.

While the generalities may be accurate, I seriously doubt that "his name and card number" were on the receipt.

He went to jail (got the ride), but was he convicted and regarding larceny from whom - his ex or the store?

His name and card number were most definitely on the receipt. He was not convicted. Charges were dropped by the ex-gf after she realized she could get in trouble for what she'd done. He would rather get out of the situation free and clear than wrap up time and effort into prolonging having her in his life. Funny, she actually was claiming that it was a gift. She was not aware that he was a step ahead and kept the receipt. Once she became aware the charges were dropped.

I know because the person was me, and so was the attorney.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

His name and card number were most definitely on the receipt. He was not convicted. Charges were dropped by the ex-gf after she realized she could get in trouble for what she'd done. He would rather get out of the situation free and clear than wrap up time and effort into prolonging having her in his life. Funny, she actually was claiming that it was a gift. She was not aware that he was a step ahead and kept the receipt. Once she became aware the charges were dropped.

I know because the person was me, and so was the attorney.
    While off topic for this thread, we'll have to talk more about this later. Interesting.

I have never seen either the name or card number (in full) on a receipt. Not ever. Such would present a serious potential breach of security. Reference is generally made to the store, time/date stamp and last 4 digits of card number along with the items purchased. Back up detail is available from the card company.

Won't say this hasn't been done, but I would not have a card that permitted that.

If I remember correctly, it was something along the lines of "First initial, Last initialXXXXX - card # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-1234" So there were identifying digits and letters, but not the full name or number.

I'm looking at a receipt from Colonial Shooting Academy from last week when I went shooting and it has my entire first and last name on it and under my name it reads "VISA # 1XXXXXXXXXXX1234" (not the actual number, for internet's sake.)

μολὼν λαβέ

While off topic for this thread, we'll have to talk more about this later. Interesting.

I have never seen either the name or card number (in full) on a receipt. Not ever. Such would present a serious potential breach of security. Reference is generally made to the store, time/date stamp and last 4 digits of card number along with the items purchased. Back up detail is available from the card company.

Won't say this hasn't been done, but I would not have a card that permitted that.
    It is not the card, it is the merchant's equipment. More data at one retailer, less data at another retailer. You may want to review every card receipt.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

If I remember correctly, it was something along the lines of "First initial, Last initialXXXXX - card # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-1234" So there were identifying digits and letters, but not the full name or number.

I'm looking at a receipt from Colonial Shooting Academy from last week when I went shooting and it has my entire first and last name on it and under my name it reads "VISA # 1XXXXXXXXXXX1234" (not the actual number, for internet's sake.)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    It is not the card, it is the merchant's equipment. More data at one retailer, less data at another retailer. You may want to review every card receipt.
    I understand the point(s), but again we are getting too far off topic for this thread.

You know if a Citizen tried this **** it would be called theft and extortion.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-14-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Slightly off topic: that any officer would participate in such an event, and still consider themselves a supporter of the 2A sickens me.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast