• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Go Fund Me campaign to get guns back from Sheriff

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If we can identify the guy there is an attorney who is willing to represent him pro bono - will only charge actual expenses.

So yes, all the stuff all y'all say ought to happen possibly might happen. But in the meantime the guy needs to get his guns back.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The media reporter might have some knowledge as to his identity and be convinced to have him contact you.

Other than that, a FOIA to the sheriff might be the only route. Don't know if there would be any reason to deny it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The media reporter might have some knowledge as to his identity and be convinced to have him contact you.

Other than that, a FOIA to the sheriff might be the only route. Don't know if there would be any reason to deny it.

The reporter is withholding the identity.

Need someone on the ground to search SO/court records. The atttorney may consider sending someone to do that.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wonder if anyone from pafoa is aware or involved in any way, particularly Cambria County.

http://forum.pafoa.org/cambria-47/

I have put the question out there.

Please go back to PAFOA and edit your post. There is an attorney who is considering what your post suggests he is committed to doing. And you might also remove mention of the law firm until a committment is made.

Thanks.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please go back to PAFOA and edit your post. There is an attorney who is considering what your post suggests he is committed to doing. And you might also remove mention of the law firm until a committment is made.

Thanks.

stay safe.

Done.

MarkS

Instead of looking for a lawyer who will work for free or paying the fees charged by the Sheriff, how about funding a political campaign to unelect the Sheriff. Nothing gets a politician's attention like the prospect of being recalled or unelected.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Instead of looking for a lawyer who will work for free or paying the fees charged by the Sheriff, how about funding a political campaign to unelect the Sheriff. Nothing gets a politician's attention like the prospect of being recalled or unelected.

check your PMs

F350

I was thinking (dangerous I know) but is there a state law that permits the sheriff to charge for this??

To my way of thinking the sheriff can not go about charging "fees" willy nilly or what is to stop him from charging fees just to walk in his office or charging $1,000 for a CCW or any danged thing else he wants. Most things for which a local government charges for (like I just had to have VIN verification to get a new title because of moving to different state) are specified by state law. The state sets how much the sheriff can charge for a CCW processing my VIN verification fee was set by the state etc.

If there is no state law permitting this "firearm processing" fee then it is illegal, and I would thing opens the way for a "color of law" action.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If there is no state law permitting this "firearm processing" fee then it is illegal, and I would thing opens the way for a "color of law" action.

Maybe after the guy gets his guns back.

Frustratingly, not too many folks seem concerned about that.

stay safe.

The Truth

I know a guy who, in a town in the mountains of Virginia, was arrested for Grand Larceny on a Sunday morning. He had the receipt - with his name and card number on the receipt - from when he bought the camera that the report said he stole. Guess who told the cops he stole the camera? Ex ol' lady. The guy still went to jail.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I know a guy who, in a town in the mountains of Virginia, was arrested for Grand Larceny on a Sunday morning. He had the receipt - with his name and card number on the receipt - from when he bought the camera that the report said he stole. Guess who told the cops he stole the camera? Ex ol' lady. The guy still went to jail.

Bad cops. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

While the generalities may be accurate, I seriously doubt that "his name and card number" were on the receipt.

He went to jail (got the ride), but was he convicted and regarding larceny from whom - his ex or the store?

I could envision a problem if she claimed the camera was a gift to her and that he stole it after they were separated.

OC for ME

I could envision a problem if she claimed the camera was a gift to her and that he stole it after they were separated.
I could claim that a vehicle that you "store" in your driveway, with your name and "card" number on the receipt" was a gift from me and you refuse to return it me, the one who gave it to you as a gift...that is. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unless and until somebody hears from this guy or his attorney, we are just shooting blanks in the dark.

The Truth

While the generalities may be accurate, I seriously doubt that "his name and card number" were on the receipt.

He went to jail (got the ride), but was he convicted and regarding larceny from whom - his ex or the store?

His name and card number were most definitely on the receipt. He was not convicted. Charges were dropped by the ex-gf after she realized she could get in trouble for what she'd done. He would rather get out of the situation free and clear than wrap up time and effort into prolonging having her in his life. Funny, she actually was claiming that it was a gift. She was not aware that he was a step ahead and kept the receipt. Once she became aware the charges were dropped.

I know because the person was me, and so was the attorney.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
His name and card number were most definitely on the receipt. He was not convicted. Charges were dropped by the ex-gf after she realized she could get in trouble for what she'd done. He would rather get out of the situation free and clear than wrap up time and effort into prolonging having her in his life. Funny, she actually was claiming that it was a gift. She was not aware that he was a step ahead and kept the receipt. Once she became aware the charges were dropped.

I know because the person was me, and so was the attorney.

While off topic for this thread, we'll have to talk more about this later. Interesting.

I have never seen either the name or card number (in full) on a receipt. Not ever. Such would present a serious potential breach of security. Reference is generally made to the store, time/date stamp and last 4 digits of card number along with the items purchased. Back up detail is available from the card company.

Won't say this hasn't been done, but I would not have a card that permitted that.