• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Go Fund Me campaign to get guns back from Sheriff

The Truth

If I remember correctly, it was something along the lines of "First initial, Last initialXXXXX - card # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-1234" So there were identifying digits and letters, but not the full name or number.

I'm looking at a receipt from Colonial Shooting Academy from last week when I went shooting and it has my entire first and last name on it and under my name it reads "VISA # 1XXXXXXXXXXX1234" (not the actual number, for internet's sake.)

OC for ME

While off topic for this thread, we'll have to talk more about this later. Interesting.

I have never seen either the name or card number (in full) on a receipt. Not ever. Such would present a serious potential breach of security. Reference is generally made to the store, time/date stamp and last 4 digits of card number along with the items purchased. Back up detail is available from the card company.

Won't say this hasn't been done, but I would not have a card that permitted that.
It is not the card, it is the merchant's equipment. More data at one retailer, less data at another retailer. You may want to review every card receipt.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I remember correctly, it was something along the lines of "First initial, Last initialXXXXX - card # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-1234" So there were identifying digits and letters, but not the full name or number.

I'm looking at a receipt from Colonial Shooting Academy from last week when I went shooting and it has my entire first and last name on it and under my name it reads "VISA # 1XXXXXXXXXXX1234" (not the actual number, for internet's sake.)
It is not the card, it is the merchant's equipment. More data at one retailer, less data at another retailer. You may want to review every card receipt.
I understand the point(s), but again we are getting too far off topic for this thread.

decklin

You know if a Citizen tried this **** it would be called theft and extortion.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRock

While off topic for this thread, we'll have to talk more about this later. Interesting.

I have never seen either the name or card number (in full) on a receipt. Not ever. Such would present a serious potential breach of security. Reference is generally made to the store, time/date stamp and last 4 digits of card number along with the items purchased. Back up detail is available from the card company.

Won't say this hasn't been done, but I would not have a card that permitted that.

Grapeshot,

I thought you were older than that. Back in the day, they used to actually take an imprint of your card on a slider machine and using carbon paper, the whole number was on every receipt. It was that way until sometime in the late 80s or early 90s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Update!

The attorney has had contact with the victim. Waiting to hear a) if an agreement for representation has been reached and b) if the guy has already paid the {expletive deleted] fee and recovered his firearms.

stay ssafe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Some more specific information from the attorney:

"The filing fees alone for the appeal are approximately $180, before knowing what costs will be incurred for the court reporter’s transcription of the hearing (which is required for the appeal). As a reproduced record will have to be compiled, the issues will have to be formally briefed and there is the likelihood of oral argument before the Superior Court. This will end up being between $3k-$5k all said and done."

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some more specific information from the attorney:

"The filing fees alone for the appeal are approximately $180, before knowing what costs will be incurred for the court reporter’s transcription of the hearing (which is required for the appeal). As a reproduced record will have to be compiled, the issues will have to be formally briefed and there is the likelihood of oral argument before the Superior Court. This will end up being between $3k-$5k all said and done."

stay safe.
Glad to hear this is not a dead issue.

With that note, I shall look to everyone else to stay on topic here. There may be the necessity to create a clean dedicated thread w/absolutely no off topic discussion.