• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther p22 problems

metalman383

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? It blew up in my 12 yr Olds hands, just after my 8yr old daughter got Done shooting it. My guns are kept clean and lubed. Do you think it was a gun or ammo malfunction?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is it possible to give us more information than "it blew up?" What ammo were you using? Was there any damage to the case that was fired, assuming you recovered it? Is the slide still in one piece? Etc. Etc. Pictures would help a lot.

I have a Walther P22 that I shoot often, including with a suppressor. I've repaired broken Walther P22's for other people.

Last edited:

metalman383

Sorry, I have some pics, that I wasn't able to put on here. Hopefully my wife can figure it out for me.
The ammo was remmington 505, I know they are cheaper shells, but they run just fine in all of my other pistols, and rifles. The whole top of the slide literally blew apart, the slide lock piece was found about 10 feet away. The plastic under the slide is buldged and broken from the grip, most of the way to the front. The shell stuck in the barrel with the back blown out of it.
Does anyone have any tips on how to load pics on here?

WalkingWolf

Sorry, I have some pics, that I wasn't able to put on here. Hopefully my wife can figure it out for me.
The ammo was remmington 505, I know they are cheaper shells, but they run just fine in all of my other pistols, and rifles. The whole top of the slide literally blew apart, the slide lock piece was found about 10 feet away. The plastic under the slide is buldged and broken from the grip, most of the way to the front. The shell stuck in the barrel with the back blown out of it.
Does anyone have any tips on how to load pics on here?

Upload your pics to a image storage site~~Then you only need to copy the image url, and put it between these marks
I]

It sounds like you fired a squib, followed by a good round. P22 used to be Zamak slide, and Walther took a lot of heat for what you describe, I believe the newer models are a aluminum slide like the SR22.

Last edited:

metalman383

What kind of warranty does Walther have? Do I have to take it back to where I bought it from, and have them send it in?
I am so thankful my son was not hurt.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Upload your pics to a image storage site~~Then you only need to copy the image url, and put it between these marks
I]

It sounds like you fired a squib, followed by a good round. P22 used to be Zamak slide, and Walther took a lot of heat for what you describe, I believe the newer models are a aluminum slide like the SR22.

Having looked at the pictures, I agree with WalkingWolf -- it looks like the barrel was obstructed when the next round was fired and the gas buildup caused the firearm to explode.

WalkingWolf

That looks like a case blowout, but that would be obvious at the breach. A squib followed by another round might cause a case blowout. You should contact Walther and see if their warranty covers faulty factory ammo.

Call Walther at this number~~ (479) 242-8500, ext 7.

Last edited:

metalman383

So if it was an ammo problem, would they do anything about it, or am I just s.o.l, at this point?

I mean remmington, the ammo manufacturer.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

So if it was an ammo problem, would they do anything about it, or am I just s.o.l, at this point?

I mean remmington, the ammo manufacturer.

If it was me, I would contact Walther first, I would not give them too much information. Just that you were using Remington 22 LR ammo and the gun had a kaboom. Let them take it from there.

solus

did I miss where any thought of looking down the barrel or putting a pencil/long screwdriver down the barrel to see if there is an obstruction or the two + bullets lodged there?

btw, since it also wasn't mentioned, your off spring are alright from the pistol self destructing.

ipse

Last edited:

metalman383

Yes my son is just fine. He got one small scratch on his face, but no big deal. He did have safety glasses on, but, I have been a little bit lax on that, not any longer! I am certainly surprised, what a .22 can do. I can only imagine what a larger caliber would do, if things went bad.

jackrockblc

What kind of warranty does Walther have? Do I have to take it back to where I bought it from, and have them send it in?
I am so thankful my son was not hurt.
Walther now had a lifetime warranty on all pistols, even those purchased before they had a lifetime warranty. For a while, input PPQs had a lifetime warranty.

But remember, it only covers issues attributed to manufacturers defects.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
Mispellings may occur, but are not intenshunal.

metalman383

There was no bullet stuck in the barrel, and the shell with the back blown off slid right out. Either it is junk ammo, or maybe the slide didn't lock forward and it kicked it back with too much pressure? Either way on Monday, some calls will be made!

WalkingWolf

There was no bullet stuck in the barrel, and the shell with the back blown off slid right out. Either it is junk ammo, or maybe the slide didn't lock forward and it kicked it back with too much pressure? Either way on Monday, some calls will be made!

I still think you had a squib, the second bullet pushed both out the barrel, but the excess pressure blew the back of the shell off on the second round. No doubt a ammo problem, but Walther may take care of it anyway. Answer their questions, but don't offer too much information. If you start out saying it was the ammo, they may blow you off.

metalman383

After a week and a half from sending my gun in, I received it back today. There was no explanation, or thoughts on what might of happened, so out of curiosity I will have to call them tomorrow. The slip said it was a $225.00 repair bill covered by warranty. I really feel that was great turnaround time, and they were great to work with, sent it in, they said nothing and it showed back up. I have never really been a fan of this gun, so maybe I will sell it and get something else for the kids to plink with. No matter what, I am extremely pleased with the customer service.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Nice to see it was settle and they took care of it I would sell it buy a standard ruger 22 pistol they go 10s of thousands of rounds the one I have has over 50 thousand through and it is still going strong.

solus

buckmarks are exemplary and you might be able to 'trade in' your 'as new' pistol at gander, etc.

ipse

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I done a lot of shooting over the last 50 plus years only a few have that many my mk1 Ruger and a Ruger Securtiy 6 I don't think that you can prove I said other wise.

But they have been mention more then once as to their round count. Plus they are my main two loaner guns when I have people over shooting

Some people talk about shooting some shoot. I shoot at last once a week and have been doing that for many years.

Last edited: