• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry sighting!!!!!!! Who was that guy?

Count

Founder's Club Member
I was driving south bound on 67 to Alvarado to a USPSA pistol match yesterday. Just north of Alvarado a truck pulls over to the improved shoulder on the right side, a guy gets out within seconds and starts jogging on the improved shoulder with an AR-15 on his back!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in a hurry, so I kept driving but I'm really curious who it was..... It is mainly agricultural type land on both sides and except people who were driving and paying attention probably most people missed it......... Did anyone call police? I wanted to stop for a second to tell him to jog facing traffic, so cops don't harass him for jogging on the wrong side of the roadway (the improved shoulder is part of the roadway....), but then the rifle slung across his back wouldn't have been visible to traffic, defeating the purpose of campaigning......

SteveInCO

You're assuming his purpose was to campaign, as opposed to just making sure he had his rifle with him. Is there some part of this story I'm missing that would make that undoubtedly the case? Admittedly, most AR-15 open carry is done to campaign (since everyday open carry that isn't to make a point would probably be a handgun for 99% of the people), but not always.

EDIT: Just realized this was a different highway 67 than the one I am used to [I was wondering where the heck Alvarado was], and I am reading a Texas thread. Yes, of necessity ANY open carry in TX will be a rifle, still, alas. And also, really, is part of a campaign more often than not. Still, are you sure this guy was campaigning?

Last edited: