Thread: no guns on Jared property???

no guns on Jared property???

I got the VCDL alert email which contained a story about Jared Jewelry store in Short Pump:

Member Steve Brown was surprised to see an anti-gun message on Jared Jewelry's door in the Short Pump Town Center in Richmond.

The message takes up a good portion of the door, was clearly written by a lawyer:

"No person shall carry, possess, have under the person's control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordinance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises."

If they are trying to prevent being robbed again, they have to hope the robber has been to law school so that he understands the sign. ;-)

Of course in reality, the sign looks like this to bad guys:

"We have provided a victim-rich defense-free zone for your robbing pleasure! Feel free to rob anyone in or around the store and even in the parking lot!"

-------------------------perhaps we all should call them and tell them upon arriving to make a purchase we noticed the sign and had to leave because we had a legally carried firearm in our car, which was parked in their parking lot.

Anyone near Short Pump who can take a picture of this sign?

Is that part of Short Pump Town Center? If so, I think everything there is no-gun territory.

Unless they lease, or own the parking lot, IMO, they have no legal standing. And considering it is a shopping center I highly doubt it. Seems they are taking their gun control ideals and pushing them on the other vendors.

Hopefully they lose considerable business to this type of stupidity. It is their right to keep guns out of their business, but considering their business it is extremely stupid. Do they really think the criminals intent on robbing them will give a damn about their sign.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Jared's has for many years had a no firearm policy...

2010: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...guns-sign.html

2008: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...d-30-06-a.html

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Jared's has for many years had a no firearm policy...

2010: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...guns-sign.html

2008: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...d-30-06-a.html

ipse
    Exactly. This is not news. I think the point of the story is the absurdity of the legalese, not the fact that they are anti-gun. Long a well known fact about Jared.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by VaGunTrader View Post
    "No person shall carry, possess, have under the person's control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordinance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises."

If they are trying to prevent being robbed again, they have to hope the robber has been to law school so that he understands the sign. ;-)
    That might actually work as a no trespassing sign for carriers?
    *I am not a lawyer. Nothing from me shall be construed as a magic cloak of legal advice. It's ultimately your tucas that's on the line. Keep examining the law anyway. The gov't, made up of people like us, is supposed to work for us, not against us. Let's find, correct, and avoid the wrongs before they're actively used against us, or we become innocently trapped by them. We're to be the masters. Let's vigilantly keep tabs on our servants who seek to rule us.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    On one hand it'd be nice to get a court ruling and settle the signs don't matter nonsense....but I don't wish anyone other than a dog hunter getting charged.

Seems like at the malls here that are posted with gunbuster signs, that is sometimes driven by the jewelers who have shops there. On top of the mall entrances you'll see more signs on the jewelry stores too. I doubt that's coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Exactly. This is not news. I think the point of the story is the absurdity of the legalese, not the fact that they are anti-gun. Long a well known fact about Jared.

TFred
    the wording has been he same for oh so many years, but i have not heard of anyone challenging the organization either! no call for boycotts, no call for walk arounds w/OC/CC, or even LGs nor any groups even suggesting it. you'd a thunk at least some gun toting citizen would be upset to stage at least one news worthy event in front of a Jareds??

also no reports of armed robbery either!

guess the legalese works quite well for both the good and bad guys.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

The whole place is a victim rich environment thanks to the no gun policies. Yet another reason I don't waste my money there. There is NOTHING worth driving all the way to Shortpump Town Center for that I can't get some place else closer and probably less expensive.

I avoid the "trendy and fashionable West End" as much as possible. Other than Nick's of course. Now THAT is worth crossing the river for.

How can you expect better from the folks that elected convicted felon Idiot Joe Jr. again? ;>)

Founder's Club Member
    the wording has been he same for oh so many years, but i have not heard of anyone challenging the organization either! no call for boycotts, no call for walk arounds w/OC/CC, or even LGs nor any groups even suggesting it. you'd a thunk at least some gun toting citizen would be upset to stage at least one news worthy event in front of a Jareds??

ipse
    Some of us just vote with our wallets. My wife loves jewelry (like doesn't every guys wife?) and was looking for a few particular Pandora charms. She heard that Jared had a large selection and pulled into their parking lot. She wanted me to go in with her and I explained to her why we didn't do business at Jared. We ended up finding a small shop in downtown Fredericksburg that had what she was looking for and they didn't bat an eye at me open carrying while she spend about $500 on assorted Pandora items. Since then we have gone back to that small shop several times and spent a couple thousand dollars over the past few years and we've not once been back to Jared.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    The whole place is a victim rich environment thanks to the no gun policies. Yet another reason I don't waste my money there. There is NOTHING worth driving all the way to Shortpump Town Center for that I can't get some place else closer and probably less expensive.

I avoid the "trendy and fashionable West End" as much as possible. Other than Nick's of course. Now THAT is worth crossing the river for.

How can you expect better from the folks that elected convicted felon Idiot Joe Jr. again? ;>)
    In fairness to the residents of the west end, Joe was elected by people in the east end of henrico & a part of charles city.

The only reason I have for going to the short pump area is that Whole Foods is the only place I know that stocks grapefruit juice with pulp locally, oh and sometimes Logan wants to look around Toys r Us and I know their policy but if my 5 year old wants to look at a large selection of toys (many of which are being sold at a higher price than anywhere else) I'll take him there, let him see what he'd like and then order it from somewhere else, like the Lego train set they have for $200 + tax (so $210.49) that I found sealed in the box on ebay for a penny under $160 with free shipping and no tax.

I was actually at the dave & busters in short pump on Saturday night for a going away meal with my friends who came to the dinner a couple of months ago at Hickory Notch. They've decided to move to Florida to be close to his mother
    Last edited by scouser; 04-06-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jegoodin View Post
    Some of us just vote with our wallets. My wife loves jewelry (like doesn't every guys wife?) and was looking for a few particular Pandora charms. She heard that Jared had a large selection and pulled into their parking lot. She wanted me to go in with her and I explained to her why we didn't do business at Jared. We ended up finding a small shop in downtown Fredericksburg that had what she was looking for and they didn't bat an eye at me open carrying while she spend about $500 on assorted Pandora items. Since then we have gone back to that small shop several times and spent a couple thousand dollars over the past few years and we've not once been back to Jared.
    way it's suppose to work isn't???

i did the same thing at the jared's in COS years ago, saw the sign, walked out, and moved to another store which i know enjoyed my smile and $$$ (ok tolerated my smile cuz of the $$$)

ipse

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post

I think those votes came from the East, not the West.

Well, not from this West End resident anyway.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

VCDL already
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jared1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	12467  
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

ipse
    Are you kidding?

Mr. Google is your friend...

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Are you kidding?

TFred
    Indeed! Jared would seem to be the jewlery store of choice for a good number of criminals.........who obviously ignore their signs.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Are you kidding?

TFred
    oh like this one when i typed in jared robbery: http://time.com/3551766/subway-robbery-jared-diet/

three hits on the same subject, darn google just must like you better Tfred...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-07-2015 at 08:30 AM.

oh like this one about jared when i typed in jared robbery: http://time.com/3551766/subway-robbery-jared-diet/ three hits on the same subject, darn google just must like you better Tfred...ipse
    G00gle is not your friend. First G00gle checks to see who is asking and what the seeker will accept.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Wink

Just fyi for those unware jareds is part of a big conglomerate of stores

Kay Jewelers
    Peoples
    Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry
    Jared Jewelry Boutique
    Jared Vault
    Kay Outlet
    J.B. Robinson Jewelers
    Osterman Jewelers
    Belden Jewelers
    Friedlander Jewelers
    Goodman Jewelers
    LeRoys Jewelers
    Marks & Morgan Jewelers
    Rogers Jewelers
    Shaws Jewelers
    Weisfield Jewelers
    Ultra Diamonds
    Sterling Jewelers
    Zales Jewelers

All owned by signet http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Jewelers

So if you want to "vote with your dollars" dont go to the other stores either!!

Also i saw a very interesting sign the other day. Unfornantly i was in a location where i couldnt photograph it but it said "no concealed firearms on property" so i assume they are ok with open carry??

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post
    Just fyi for those unware jareds is part of a big conglomerate of stores

Kay Jewelers
    Peoples
    Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry
    Jared Jewelry Boutique
    Jared Vault
    Kay Outlet
    J.B. Robinson Jewelers
    Osterman Jewelers
    Belden Jewelers
    Friedlander Jewelers
    Goodman Jewelers
    LeRoys Jewelers
    Marks & Morgan Jewelers
    Rogers Jewelers
    Shaws Jewelers
    Weisfield Jewelers
    Ultra Diamonds
    Sterling Jewelers
    Zales Jewelers

All owned by signet http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Jewelers

So if you want to "vote with your dollars" dont go to the other stores either!!

Also i saw a very interesting sign the other day. Unfornantly i was in a location where i couldnt photograph it but it said "no concealed firearms on property" so i assume they are ok with open carry??

Good to know. Thanks!

*_IF_* I go to into a jewelry store, a very rare occurrence, it will be a locally owned store. And typically it is to get a new battery put into my watch.

I never understood the need to wear any jewelry, who the hell are you trying to impress, total strangers that don't give a damn about in the first place, or bad guys that see you as a lucrative target?

Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    *_IF_* I go to into a jewelry store, a very rare occurrence, it will be a locally owned store. And typically it is to get a new battery put into my watch.

I never understood the need to wear any jewelry, who the hell are you trying to impress, total strangers that don't give a damn about in the first place, or bad guys that see you as a lucrative target?
    I wear no jewelry, stopped wearing a wedding ring when I stripped the skin on my finger stacking pallets many years ago. I hardly wear a wrist watch anymore, and stick to pocket watches. The wrist watch was constantly getting ripped of the wrist when working.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump