• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no guns on Jared property???

VaGunTrader

I got the VCDL alert email which contained a story about Jared Jewelry store in Short Pump:

Member Steve Brown was surprised to see an anti-gun message on Jared Jewelry's door in the Short Pump Town Center in Richmond.

The message takes up a good portion of the door, was clearly written by a lawyer:

"No person shall carry, possess, have under the person's control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordinance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises."

If they are trying to prevent being robbed again, they have to hope the robber has been to law school so that he understands the sign. ;-)

Of course in reality, the sign looks like this to bad guys:

"We have provided a victim-rich defense-free zone for your robbing pleasure! Feel free to rob anyone in or around the store and even in the parking lot!"

-------------------------perhaps we all should call them and tell them upon arriving to make a purchase we noticed the sign and had to leave because we had a legally carried firearm in our car, which was parked in their parking lot.

Anyone near Short Pump who can take a picture of this sign?

FBrinson

Is that part of Short Pump Town Center? If so, I think everything there is no-gun territory.

WalkingWolf

Unless they lease, or own the parking lot, IMO, they have no legal standing. And considering it is a shopping center I highly doubt it. Seems they are taking their gun control ideals and pushing them on the other vendors.

Hopefully they lose considerable business to this type of stupidity. It is their right to keep guns out of their business, but considering their business it is extremely stupid. Do they really think the criminals intent on robbing them will give a damn about their sign.

TFred

ChristCrusader

"No person shall carry, possess, have under the person's control, convey or attempt to convey a firearm, concealed firearm, dangerous ordinance, handgun, or deadly weapon on or onto this land, parking lot or premises."

If they are trying to prevent being robbed again, they have to hope the robber has been to law school so that he understands the sign. ;-)
That might actually work as a no trespassing sign for carriers?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
On one hand it'd be nice to get a court ruling and settle the signs don't matter nonsense....but I don't wish anyone other than a dog hunter getting charged.

Brian D.

Seems like at the malls here that are posted with gunbuster signs, that is sometimes driven by the jewelers who have shops there. On top of the mall entrances you'll see more signs on the jewelry stores too. I doubt that's coincidental.

solus

Exactly. This is not news. I think the point of the story is the absurdity of the legalese, not the fact that they are anti-gun. Long a well known fact about Jared.

TFred

the wording has been he same for oh so many years, but i have not heard of anyone challenging the organization either! no call for boycotts, no call for walk arounds w/OC/CC, or even LGs nor any groups even suggesting it. you'd a thunk at least some gun toting citizen would be upset to stage at least one news worthy event in front of a Jareds??

also no reports of armed robbery either!

guess the legalese works quite well for both the good and bad guys.

ipse

va_tazdad

The whole place is a victim rich environment thanks to the no gun policies. Yet another reason I don't waste my money there. There is NOTHING worth driving all the way to Shortpump Town Center for that I can't get some place else closer and probably less expensive.

I avoid the "trendy and fashionable West End" as much as possible. Other than Nick's of course. Now THAT is worth crossing the river for.

How can you expect better from the folks that elected convicted felon Idiot Joe Jr. again? ;>)

jegoodin

the wording has been he same for oh so many years, but i have not heard of anyone challenging the organization either! no call for boycotts, no call for walk arounds w/OC/CC, or even LGs nor any groups even suggesting it. you'd a thunk at least some gun toting citizen would be upset to stage at least one news worthy event in front of a Jareds??

ipse

Some of us just vote with our wallets. My wife loves jewelry (like doesn't every guys wife?) and was looking for a few particular Pandora charms. She heard that Jared had a large selection and pulled into their parking lot. She wanted me to go in with her and I explained to her why we didn't do business at Jared. We ended up finding a small shop in downtown Fredericksburg that had what she was looking for and they didn't bat an eye at me open carrying while she spend about $500 on assorted Pandora items. Since then we have gone back to that small shop several times and spent a couple thousand dollars over the past few years and we've not once been back to Jared.

scouser

The whole place is a victim rich environment thanks to the no gun policies. Yet another reason I don't waste my money there. There is NOTHING worth driving all the way to Shortpump Town Center for that I can't get some place else closer and probably less expensive.

I avoid the "trendy and fashionable West End" as much as possible. Other than Nick's of course. Now THAT is worth crossing the river for.

How can you expect better from the folks that elected convicted felon Idiot Joe Jr. again? ;>)

In fairness to the residents of the west end, Joe was elected by people in the east end of henrico & a part of charles city.

The only reason I have for going to the short pump area is that Whole Foods is the only place I know that stocks grapefruit juice with pulp locally, oh and sometimes Logan wants to look around Toys r Us and I know their policy but if my 5 year old wants to look at a large selection of toys (many of which are being sold at a higher price than anywhere else) I'll take him there, let him see what he'd like and then order it from somewhere else, like the Lego train set they have for $200 + tax (so $210.49) that I found sealed in the box on ebay for a penny under $160 with free shipping and no tax.

I was actually at the dave & busters in short pump on Saturday night for a going away meal with my friends who came to the dinner a couple of months ago at Hickory Notch. They've decided to move to Florida to be close to his mother

Last edited:

solus

Some of us just vote with our wallets. My wife loves jewelry (like doesn't every guys wife?) and was looking for a few particular Pandora charms. She heard that Jared had a large selection and pulled into their parking lot. She wanted me to go in with her and I explained to her why we didn't do business at Jared. We ended up finding a small shop in downtown Fredericksburg that had what she was looking for and they didn't bat an eye at me open carrying while she spend about $500 on assorted Pandora items. Since then we have gone back to that small shop several times and spent a couple thousand dollars over the past few years and we've not once been back to Jared.

way it's suppose to work isn't???

i did the same thing at the jared's in COS years ago, saw the sign, walked out, and moved to another store which i know enjoyed my smile and $$$ (ok tolerated my smile cuz of the $$$)

ipse

TFred

ipse
Are you kidding?

Mr. Google is your friend...

TFred

conhntr

Just fyi for those unware jareds is part of a big conglomerate of stores

Kay Jewelers
Peoples
Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry
Jared Jewelry Boutique
Jared Vault
Kay Outlet
J.B. Robinson Jewelers
Osterman Jewelers
Belden Jewelers
Friedlander Jewelers
Goodman Jewelers
LeRoys Jewelers
Marks & Morgan Jewelers
Rogers Jewelers
Shaws Jewelers
Weisfield Jewelers
Ultra Diamonds
Sterling Jewelers
Zales Jewelers

All owned by signet http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Jewelers

So if you want to "vote with your dollars" dont go to the other stores either!!

Also i saw a very interesting sign the other day. Unfornantly i was in a location where i couldnt photograph it but it said "no concealed firearms on property" so i assume they are ok with open carry??

jegoodin

Just fyi for those unware jareds is part of a big conglomerate of stores

Kay Jewelers
Peoples
Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry
Jared Jewelry Boutique
Jared Vault
Kay Outlet
J.B. Robinson Jewelers
Osterman Jewelers
Belden Jewelers
Friedlander Jewelers
Goodman Jewelers
LeRoys Jewelers
Marks & Morgan Jewelers
Rogers Jewelers
Shaws Jewelers
Weisfield Jewelers
Ultra Diamonds
Sterling Jewelers
Zales Jewelers

All owned by signet http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Jewelers

So if you want to "vote with your dollars" dont go to the other stores either!!

Also i saw a very interesting sign the other day. Unfornantly i was in a location where i couldnt photograph it but it said "no concealed firearms on property" so i assume they are ok with open carry??

Good to know. Thanks!

XD40sc

*_IF_* I go to into a jewelry store, a very rare occurrence, it will be a locally owned store. And typically it is to get a new battery put into my watch.

I never understood the need to wear any jewelry, who the hell are you trying to impress, total strangers that don't give a damn about in the first place, or bad guys that see you as a lucrative target?