Thread: NBC News coverage of open carry in Texas, Carry to Capitol event

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

NBC News coverage of open carry in Texas, Carry to Capitol event

Advocate freedom please

I'd say the piece is relatively impartial, "relatively" being the operative term.

Not the worst I've seen, though I would have appreciated a little more fact-checking and citing of statistics when Watts or the Nonsense in America crowd was regurgitating falsehoods ("anyone can buy a gun on the Internet or at gun shows", etc.).

Best of luck to my Texan brothers.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

First off... Austin, get rid of your police chief. That dude needs to go and now. He's a spewing fountain of liberal style paranoia and miss information, and a hypocrite with that "Come and Take it" flag on his wall.

Secondly... what in the hell do these mass shootings by twisted individuals have to do with law abiding citizens open carrying? People who commit crimes, any kind of crime, DONT OPEN CARRY! THEY CONCEAL IT! Case in point, Loy Norrix H.S. My old HS. A group of dumb kids CONCEALED a gun in their backpack, snuck it into the school and for some stupid reason, fired it off in a bathroom. And that was just a couple of weeks ago.

Thirdly, and this is a direct refute to that dingbat from the Mommy group, the reason we dont have any data about how often someone with a gun deters a criminal is... get this, it'll blow your mind... THE CRIME DIDNT HAPPEN!!! *gasp* What are we supposed to do? Stop random people on the street and ask if they've ever not committed a crime because they say a guy with a gun?

"Hi, are you a criminal?"

"Why yes I am, what can I do for you?"

"Have you ever had the idea to commit a crime, but before doing so, seen a person with a gun and decided not to?"

"Umm, yes, there have been a few times when that's happened."

Yeah, sure wilber. I'd love to see THAT scenario play out somewhere.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Predict that Texas will get open carry this time around.......and that Mad Mommies will get their antis in a bunch for no avail.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    ..snip..

Thirdly, and this is a direct refute to that dingbat from the Mommy group, the reason we dont have any data about how often someone with a gun deters a criminal is... get this, it'll blow your mind... THE CRIME DIDNT HAPPEN!!! *gasp* What are we supposed to do? Stop random people on the street and ask if they've ever not committed a crime because they say a guy with a gun?

..snip..
    Same reasoning behind one of my best arguments for anti-gunners which goes something like this:

Name me one incident, at one place, at one time in history where gun control saved someone's life.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qednick View Post
    --snipped--

Name me one incident, at one place, at one time in history where gun control savedsomeone's life.
    With a steady hand and good aim, Wyatt Earp at OK Corral and several times thereafter
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I'd say the piece is relatively impartial, "relatively" being the operative term.

Not the worst I've seen, though I would have appreciated a little more fact-checking and citing of statistics when Watts or the Nonsense in America crowd was regurgitating falsehoods ("anyone can buy a gun on the Internet or at gun shows", etc.).

Best of luck to my Texan brothers.
    I didn't think they fact check interviewee's statements. I wouldn't expect them to cut out a recording of MDA or Chief whatever telling falsehoods. Really, I think it goes to our advantage. They made fools of themselves, in my opinion.

"*speaks softly, as if speaking softly changes the underlying tone of aggression* We want gun control, because, seeing guns in public frightens me. Plus, I'm a mom, so I have parental authority over my neighbors. As is the case within my home, I have a right to manipulate and impose my will to make the public space the environment I prefer for my children to be in *whispers the word 'reasonable' over and over*"

For one to admit that they didn't even know open carry existed until most recently, is fairly telling. "This is a subject I've been entirely ignorant of until just recently, but I feel as though, despite that complete ignorance of the subject, it is reasonable for me to, and I am qualified to, lead a multi-million dollar, national campaign against the practice"
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    First off... Austin, get rid of your police chief. That dude needs to go and now. He's a spewing fountain of liberal style paranoia and miss information, and a hypocrite with that "Come and Take it" flag on his wall.

Secondly... what in the hell do these mass shootings by twisted individuals have to do with law abiding citizens open carrying? People who commit crimes, any kind of crime, DONT OPEN CARRY! THEY CONCEAL IT! Case in point, Loy Norrix H.S. My old HS. A group of dumb kids CONCEALED a gun in their backpack, snuck it into the school and for some stupid reason, fired it off in a bathroom. And that was just a couple of weeks ago.

"Hi, are you a criminal?"

"Why yes I am, what can I do for you?"

"Have you ever had the idea to commit a crime, but before doing so, seen a person with a gun and decided not to?"

"Umm, yes, there have been a few times when that's happened."

Yeah, sure wilber. I'd love to see THAT scenario play out somewhere.
    There was a Fl prison study where they asked the felons that question, without fail the answer was the same. They avoid armed citizens, so no crime due to firearm.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post

Fact-checking and pointing out false statements ended in the 1980s. I know, because that was when I was a J-school student (BA-JOUR, 1985). It corresponds directly with the rise of cable news and the sudden "glory" of being a TV news reporter.

Except, that's when they stopped being reporters, and started being repeaters. "Objective news coverage" became a game in finding something controversial, getting a quote from one extreme view, a counter-quote from the opposite extreme view, and not doing any investigation at all, nor pointing out that facts contradicted the claims from the spokesfolk.