• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NBC News coverage of open carry in Texas, Carry to Capitol event

Rusty Young Man

I'd say the piece is relatively impartial, "relatively" being the operative term.

Not the worst I've seen, though I would have appreciated a little more fact-checking and citing of statistics when Watts or the Nonsense in America crowd was regurgitating falsehoods ("anyone can buy a gun on the Internet or at gun shows", etc.).

Best of luck to my Texan brothers.

DeSchaine

First off... Austin, get rid of your police chief. That dude needs to go and now. He's a spewing fountain of liberal style paranoia and miss information, and a hypocrite with that "Come and Take it" flag on his wall.

Secondly... what in the hell do these mass shootings by twisted individuals have to do with law abiding citizens open carrying? People who commit crimes, any kind of crime, DONT OPEN CARRY! THEY CONCEAL IT! Case in point, Loy Norrix H.S. My old HS. A group of dumb kids CONCEALED a gun in their backpack, snuck it into the school and for some stupid reason, fired it off in a bathroom. And that was just a couple of weeks ago.

Thirdly, and this is a direct refute to that dingbat from the Mommy group, the reason we dont have any data about how often someone with a gun deters a criminal is... get this, it'll blow your mind... THE CRIME DIDNT HAPPEN!!! *gasp* What are we supposed to do? Stop random people on the street and ask if they've ever not committed a crime because they say a guy with a gun?

"Hi, are you a criminal?"

"Why yes I am, what can I do for you?"

"Have you ever had the idea to commit a crime, but before doing so, seen a person with a gun and decided not to?"

"Umm, yes, there have been a few times when that's happened."

Yeah, sure wilber. I'd love to see THAT scenario play out somewhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Predict that Texas will get open carry this time around.......and that Mad Mommies will get their antis in a bunch for no avail. :)

qednick

..snip..

Thirdly, and this is a direct refute to that dingbat from the Mommy group, the reason we dont have any data about how often someone with a gun deters a criminal is... get this, it'll blow your mind... THE CRIME DIDNT HAPPEN!!! *gasp* What are we supposed to do? Stop random people on the street and ask if they've ever not committed a crime because they say a guy with a gun?

..snip..

Same reasoning behind one of my best arguments for anti-gunners which goes something like this:

Name me one incident, at one place, at one time in history where gun control saved someone's life.

stealthyeliminator

I'd say the piece is relatively impartial, "relatively" being the operative term.

Not the worst I've seen, though I would have appreciated a little more fact-checking and citing of statistics when Watts or the Nonsense in America crowd was regurgitating falsehoods ("anyone can buy a gun on the Internet or at gun shows", etc.).

Best of luck to my Texan brothers.

I didn't think they fact check interviewee's statements. I wouldn't expect them to cut out a recording of MDA or Chief whatever telling falsehoods. Really, I think it goes to our advantage. They made fools of themselves, in my opinion.

"*speaks softly, as if speaking softly changes the underlying tone of aggression* We want gun control, because, seeing guns in public frightens me. Plus, I'm a mom, so I have parental authority over my neighbors. As is the case within my home, I have a right to manipulate and impose my will to make the public space the environment I prefer for my children to be in :D *whispers the word 'reasonable' over and over*"

For one to admit that they didn't even know open carry existed until most recently, is fairly telling. "This is a subject I've been entirely ignorant of until just recently, but I feel as though, despite that complete ignorance of the subject, it is reasonable for me to, and I am qualified to, lead a multi-million dollar, national campaign against the practice"

WalkingWolf

First off... Austin, get rid of your police chief. That dude needs to go and now. He's a spewing fountain of liberal style paranoia and miss information, and a hypocrite with that "Come and Take it" flag on his wall.

Secondly... what in the hell do these mass shootings by twisted individuals have to do with law abiding citizens open carrying? People who commit crimes, any kind of crime, DONT OPEN CARRY! THEY CONCEAL IT! Case in point, Loy Norrix H.S. My old HS. A group of dumb kids CONCEALED a gun in their backpack, snuck it into the school and for some stupid reason, fired it off in a bathroom. And that was just a couple of weeks ago.

"Hi, are you a criminal?"

"Why yes I am, what can I do for you?"

"Have you ever had the idea to commit a crime, but before doing so, seen a person with a gun and decided not to?"

"Umm, yes, there have been a few times when that's happened."

Yeah, sure wilber. I'd love to see THAT scenario play out somewhere.

There was a Fl prison study where they asked the felons that question, without fail the answer was the same. They avoid armed citizens, so no crime due to firearm.

KBCraig

Fact-checking and pointing out false statements ended in the 1980s. I know, because that was when I was a J-school student (BA-JOUR, 1985). It corresponds directly with the rise of cable news and the sudden "glory" of being a TV news reporter.

Except, that's when they stopped being reporters, and started being repeaters. "Objective news coverage" became a game in finding something controversial, getting a quote from one extreme view, a counter-quote from the opposite extreme view, and not doing any investigation at all, nor pointing out that facts contradicted the claims from the spokesfolk.