• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC out of Syracuse!

Dakota3645

Hey ladies and gents!
My name is Dakota and I'm in Syracuse, UT. I recently aquired my first hangun, a Smith & Wesson SD9-ve semi auto handgun :) I've shot it and love the way it feels, and for free it's definitely a great deal :p
Anyways since I'm only 20 currently, I'm going to be open carrying it for a few months. I had a few questions for anyone in the area or Davis County in general:
What's their overall feedback they've recieved while open carrying?
Any places I should avoid while carrying that are destined to hastle me?
Any things I should look out for?

Ive read all the rules I've scene and know about the places that are off limits likw goverment buildings, houses of worship, secured areas, schools.

I'm mainly just looking for some tips of anyone local that have experience open carrying :)
Thanks,
Dakota

RemohGramps

Dakota, welcome to Syracuse, where I also live, and congratulations on exercising your 2nd Amendment freedom and taking steps to provide for your self defense and protection. I would be glad to provide some tips, based on my own experiences and my personal opinions about how to OC, and CC (concealed carry) here in Utah.

HOLSTER:
When carrying, it's very important to have a good holster. And when OCing, it's even more important to have a good retention holster, meaning, one that will allow you to maintain control of the gun, yet still have it readily accessible to you. There are several good retention type holsters available, so look around and check out the various options. I prefer the Blackhawk Serpa holster for my XDm 9mm, and I use that anytime that I OC, which is about 90% of the time.

I'm definitely a proponent of reasonable OC, but I also recognize that there are times when CC is necessary or appropriate. Whenever I OC with the Serpa, I also carry a very nice concealable holster in my back pocket, in case I need to switch to CC. I was introduced to an awesome soft holster that I use for CC by Denny Wanlass at Red Dot Guns in Layton. It's called the Sticky Holster. I would recommend that you check it out as an option for the times that you CC.

PLACES:
I'm quite committed to our 2nd Amendment rights, as well as our rights to determine the manner that we provide for our personal protection. For me, I believe that there's value and reasons for OCing, so I OC everywhere that I'm legally allowed to carry, with just a couple of exceptions. I don't carry at work, because my employer does not allow it, and right now, I'd like to keep my job. My employer provides armed security onsite, so I depend on those good people while I'm at work. But as soon as I'm back in my car, I make sure that my guns are back on my hip, where they belong.

There are some businesses that have anti-2nd Amendment (2A) policies, and you should probably decide whether or not you want to give your hard earned money to businesses that don't support your constitutional rights, or to just not go there. I know that my son-in-law was asked to leave the Denny's restaurant in Layton while he was OCing, at which point he and his entire family left that business, after paying for the little bit of food that they'd been given, and they've never been back.

DEMEANOR:
I would strong suggest that you consider the additional responsibility that you have as someone that exercises your 2A rights by carrying openly, to represent the entire group of those that carry guns. By carrying openly, you are a very visible representation of what can be good, and what might be bad, about everyone that carries a gun. I would recommend that you go out of your way to be extra polite, and civil, and accomodating to everyone that you see, or sees you. Never be agressive or be percieved as someone that would escalate any situation to violent levels.

I would also suggest wearing clothes that convey a level of respect and class to the people around you. If possible, avoid wearing dirty, torn jeans and a tee shirt while OCing. But if that's who you are, and that's just what you do, then please, be that person with great respect and civility.

There may be times that someone will approach you and express their negative opinion about that fact that you OC a gun. I would encourage you again, to be polite, be respectful, and to allow all people to have their opinion and express it as they see fit. Tolerance and politeness, especially while you're openly carrying, is usually the best course. And I would suggest to never, never draw that gun from the holster in public, unless you intend to use for its intend purpose.

OTHER:
As soon as you're 21, I would strongly suggest that you get your Utah CFP. I have the CFP and carry it with me in my wallet at the same time that I'm OCing... Your options to carry are expanded when you have that permit.

Check out this video on YouTube, by Dave Champion. It has some very good points about OCing that are probably good for everyone to consider... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaM-G5YOAmU#t=33m30s

Last edited:

qednick

Welcome to OCDO!

We got our eldest daughter a SD9 at Christmas time...found out she had pawned it about 3 months later! Still really upset about that.

Anyway, I just wanted to pipe in and add to what RemohGramps said about demeanor--since you're only 20, it will only add to any scrutiny you may face. So definitely don't recommend any torn-off jeans or anything. Perhaps khaki cargo pants, all black tennis shoes and a polo shirt...that way people might just assume you're some kind of LEO or similar. Anyway it's just a suggestion ;-)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and OCing.

You probably need some time OCing under your belt to get comfortable doing it. Maybe ask RemohGramps to go with you when you go out http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...48-1st-time-concealed-carry-walmart-walk.html

Yes, it's about CC in Texas but it works anywhere for OC as well. Besides, if you pick the right location there are nachos involved.:D

IMHO and experience it is more about looking like you are confident, know what you are doing and are not rabidly foaming at the mouth than any other sort of blending in*. Lots of us have found out that most people do not even notice. However, for those who notice and go into PSH the presence of a digital voice recorder can prove quite useful. Also good when dealing with cops who may be a bit out of touch with the law and too much in touch with their personal beliefs.

stay safe.

* - please do not get a badge. And understand that looking too much like a cop can have untoward consequences from either the general public, the cops, or both.

utbagpiper

Banned
My name is Dakota and I'm in Syracuse, UT. I recently aquired my first hangun, a Smith & Wesson SD9-ve semi auto handgun :) I've shot it and love the way it feels, and for free it's definitely a great deal :p
Anyways since I'm only 20 currently, I'm going to be open carrying it for a few months. I had a few questions for anyone in the area or Davis County in general:
What's their overall feedback they've recieved while open carrying?
Any places I should avoid while carrying that are destined to hastle me?
Any things I should look out for?

Ive read all the rules I've scene and know about the places that are off limits likw goverment buildings, houses of worship, secured areas, schools.

I'm mainly just looking for some tips of anyone local that have experience open carrying :)
Thanks,
Dakota

Dakota,

Welcome to OCDO and to the world of lawfully carrying a firearm.

I'd like to second what RemohGramps has passed along, especially about comportment while carrying. This is doubly true if you look young. That said, most people will never see your gun unless there is something else about you that really draws attention (eg extreme body art, un-natural hair color, etc).

A few clarifications to your understanding of Utah gun laws (this is not legal advice, I don't go to jail if you do something based on bad advice from the internet, YMMV, and so on).

1-Most State, county, and city government buildings in Utah are not off limits. Our State Capital, city buildings, etc are all legal to carry in and most comply well with that law. The UHP troopers who provide security at the capital are very professional and good, they know and abide the law. All federal buildings, however, are off limits, even after you get a permit. This includes any offices where federal officials work including BLM, Social Security, or other office space that may be rented in otherwise commercial buildings.

2-Houses of worship are only off limits in Utah if they give affirmative notice guns are banned. Notice can be given in several different ways including person-to-person, signs on doors, notice in program, and via the BCI webpage. At present, only the LDS (Mormon) church and the First Presbyterian Church of Logan have given notice via the BCI website. Last I heard, a couple of other churches had signs posted. Legally, the gun ban applies only to the interior of the actual house of worship; it does not include parking lots, outdoor areas (such as Temple Square), or non-house-of-worship property owned by the church (such as canneries, thrift stores, etc). However, a little discretion and good manners are in order in such locations.

3-Remember that the Utah Gun Free School Zone law includes all schools from pre-schools (including in your neighbor's home) through colleges. The Utah GFSZ law does NOT include a 1000' foot range out from the property line of the school. In includes the school room itself for preschools, and the entire school building for K-college (private or public). The federal GFSZ law includes only K-12, but does include a 1000' exclusion zone from the edge of school property. This is as the crow flies and not merely as you can drive or walk. A full and careful review of every public, private, and charter school, K-12 in your area may shock you at how many areas are legally off limits to your gun until you can obtain a Utah permit to carry. It is rare for the federal GFSZ law to be enforced in the absence of some other crime, but I wouldn't bet my freedom and future rights on it not being enforced. Be VERY careful where you carry around town until you can get a Utah permit.

I suggest getting a Utah permit as soon as you are able.

That all said, if you avoid off limits locations, and comport yourself as a friendly, confident, mature adult, you are unlikely to be hassled much of anywhere in Utah.

I also suggest joining the Utah Shooting Sports Council (USSC) (well worth the modest annual membership) and signing up for free legislative alerts from GOUtah! (Gun Owners of Utah!). (Yours truly serves as the Public Policy Director for the latter organization.) Get involved with the political party of your choice, attend your caucus meetings, and if possible, serve as a delegate to the county or State convention of that party. Get to know your elected State legislators. Thanks to State preemption, county and city officials cannot legally do much with regard to RKBA either bad or good, though the county Sheriff, mayors, and county/city councils can influence how police officers respond to lawful OC.

Again, welcome.

Charles Hardy