Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GoFundMe blocks fundraising for SC cop charged with murdering unarmed man

GoFundMe blocks fundraising for SC cop charged with murdering unarmed man

GoFundMe confirmed it removed a campaign supporting Mr. Slager, who was fired Wednesday from the North Charleston Police Department, the liberal blog Think Progress reported.

“After review by our team, the campaign set up for Officer Slager was removed from GoFundMe due to a violation of our terms and conditions,” Kelsea Little, GoFundMe’s public relations manager, told Think Progress.

The company would not discuss exactly which terms and conditions were violated, citing privacy concerns, Think Progress reported.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...gn-for-cop-ch/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

20 people were willing to put 400 bucks up for this moron...Amazing!
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Even though I hope this dude burns, I find it distasteful to see the gofundme organization pull it.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

The guy does have 5th amendment rights. If a fool wants to part w their money, GoFundme should let'em,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Even though I hope this dude burns, I find it distasteful to see the gofundme organization pull it.
    You can't be serious.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    You can't be serious.
    He's serious, and don't call him Shirley.
    I agree with him.

Haha!

OK I'll bite.

How is it distasteful to shut down a Go Fund Me for someone who was caught on tape using color of authority as a sworn-in police officer to systematically murder a man with his back turned running away from him - whom he pulled over for a tail light violation? ...not to mention the planting of evidence and submitting a false police report...

The word - distasteful - seems inappropriate.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Haha!

OK I'll bite.

How is it distasteful to shut down a Go Fund Me for someone who was caught on tape using color of authority as a sworn-in police officer to systematically murder a man with his back turned running away from him - whom he pulled over for a tail light violation? ...not to mention the planting of evidence and submitting a false police report...

The word - distasteful - seems inappropriate.
    I'm not so much agreeing with the 'distasteful' description as I am with the pulling the funding page. The guy, as guilty or innocent as he may be, has not had his day in front of a jury yet. Do we or do we not want EVERYONE to have the ability to have the best possible defense?

That is how I look at this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post
    I'm not so much agreeing with the 'distasteful' description as I am with the pulling the funding page. The guy, as guilty or innocent as he may be, has not had his day in front of a jury yet. Do we or do we not want EVERYONE to have the ability to have the best possible defense?

I agree with you in principle, however Go Fund Me probably doesn't want its public image to be that of a murderous cop supporter. I get the fairtrial/day in court argument, I do, but the video of the murder was pretty clear - apparently not just to me but to virtually every moral person in America who saw it including the cop's police department, the judicial system down in Charleston, and even the cop's lawyer.

Tennessee v. Garner, btw
    Last edited by The Truth; 04-09-2015 at 11:18 PM.

μολὼν λαβέ

^^This.

While I believe the acts caught on video should suffice to indict and result in a guilty verdict, the officer should not be denied the opportunity to offer up some form of defense (yes, I see the irony in that statement, and it was unintentional).

That said, I imagine this is more of a private property issue: GoFundMe doesn't want to have any connection to the officer, and they should not be forced to enter into contract (no private individual or entity should be forced to enter into contract with another).

So I see no fault with the website's actions, only the same issue at play as always: trial by media.

ETA:
    I didn't mean to imply that GoFundMe (a private entity) was somehow denying the accused their Right to a trial. I didn't state that, and upon reading my post again it seemed like that was exactly what I was implying. My bad.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-09-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: ETA: a clarification of my mistake by omission
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Just like this site the funding site is private property. They have control over that property to use, or refuse use as they wish. Just like this site. He will have his day in court with or with out getting rich on a funding site like Darren Wilson did. Some states have laws against profiting from crime.

The killer is not being denied due process.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-09-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I agree with you in principle, however Go Fund Me probably doesn't want its public image to be that of a murderous cop supporter. SNIP...
    Beat me to it.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    ^^This.

While I believe the acts caught on video should suffice to indict and result in a guilty verdict, the officer should not be denied the opportunity to offer up some form of defense (yes, I see the irony in that statement, and it was unintentional).
    Well no one is denying him "some form of defense," a private company is just denying *someone* the ability to collect money using their website to benefit this murderer. It's not like he has less of a chance of fair trial because of this. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Go Fund Me takes a profit. So essentially they would be profiting off of a murder. I'd be willing to bet their decision has something to do with that - given the parlance of our times.

I'm just trying to address the "distasteful" comment as I believe it would be distasteful to leave the Go Fund Me up.
    Last edited by The Truth; 04-09-2015 at 11:25 PM.

μολὼν λαβέ

Well no one is denying him "some form of defense," a private company is just denying *someone* the ability to collect money using their website to benefit this murderer. It's not like he has less of a chance of fair trial because of this. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Go Fund Me takes a profit. So essentially they would be profiting off of a murder. I'd be willing to bet their decision has something to do with that - given the parlance of our times.

I'm just trying to address the "distasteful" comment.
    Sorry, I didn't clarify that his day in court isn't being denied by GoFundMe. The trial-by-media was what I referred to.

I agreed with twoskinsonemanns and FBrinson only to that extent: the media usually convicts the accused before they've even been processed, much less set foot in the court room.

In this case, it looks like it will be a very straightforward indictment and conviction, but as we often see, the media will convict the person ("T. Martin murder trial" instead of the correct "George Zimmerman self-defense trial").

Just like this site the funding site is private property. They have control over that property to use, or refuse use as they wish. Just like this site. He will have his day in court with or with out getting rich on a funding site like Darren Wilson did. Some states have laws against profiting from crime.

The killer is not being denied due process.
    I agree with you that the funding site is private property and can do as they wish. I think it is possible to have two thoughts on this however conflicting they may be.
    As far as getting rich, I have no comment as I have not seen any information on that. I'm assuming a quick Google search can affirm this.

State Researcher
    The simple fact of the matter is, as all here should be keenly aware, a vigorous defense costs money. And as guilty as the now-ex-cop appears in the video, he is entitled to a full, vigorous defense, and full due process before he is convicted. In the meantime, he is entitled to a legal presumption of innocence, and so on.

I fully support the legal right of gofundme to refuse to be involved in fund-raising for his defense. But I find the exercise of that right to be cowardly and unAmerican. And I don't use those terms lightly.

But I recall how a true American Patriot responded to some unpopular defendants early in our history:

"The day after British soldiers mortally wounded five Americans on a cobbled square in Boston, thirty-four-year-old Adams was visted in his office near the stairs of the Town Office by a Boston merchant , James Forest. "With tears streaming from his eyes" (according to the recollection of Adams), Forest asked Adams to defend the soldiers and their captain, Thomas Preston. Adams understood that taking the case would not only subject him to criticism, but might jeopardize his legal practice or even risk the safety of himself and his family. But Adams believed deeply that every person deserved a defense, and he took on the case without hesitation. For his efforts, he would receive the modest sum of eighteen guineas."

"In his old age, [John Adams] called his defense of British soldiers in 1770 "one of the most gallant, generous, manly, and disinterested actions of my whole life, and one of the best pieces of service I ever rendered my country."

In this country, no one worthy of the title "American" interferes with an accused man's ability to mount an effective, vigorous defense. I won't criticize anyone for not personally contributing to a defense fund. And after a proper conviction is obtained, following full due process and a proper, effective, vigorous defense, with full respect for the rights of the accused, I'll give my assent to any punishment permitted under our current laws for the crime alleged in this case.

But I personally think it is chicken-[crap] on the part of a website dedicated to funding all kinds of endeavors to decide it is going to shut down efforts by a man raising money for a defense against criminal charges. It is the site's owner's right to do so. And it is my right to say I find it offensive for them to do so.

If I had my druthers, in every criminal case, the state would be required to fund the defense at no less of an amount than what it was spending on the prosecution including police, investigators, expert witnesses, prosecutors, etc. Providing an over-worked, under-paid public defender after the defendant has been bankrupted is not justice.

If the members of this forum won't vigorously speak out for the rights andpractical ability for this man to get an effective defense, we have no right to complain the next time some LAC OCer is bankrupted and/or convicted because he couldn't afford an effective defense and various social media sites decide that they don't want to be associated with a controversial case.

As citizen's sig reads:

Quote Originally Posted by citizen's sig
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. (Because that is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--for each other and everybody else--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.)
    This cop must have as much ability, practical as well as legal, to mount a vigorous defense as we would want any member of this forum to have. Anything else is rank hypocrisy on our parts.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

bloody h3ll, get him the same as another citizen w/o $$$ ~ a public defender to provide a full, vigorous defense, and full due process!

he apparently shot the unarmed black citizen in the back!!!

no i shan't continue or i will get banned...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-10-2015 at 12:33 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    [needless profanity redacted], get him the same as another citizen w/o $$$ ~ a public defender to provide a full, vigorous defense, and full due process!
    And if you really think that is good enough for this guy, you can't hope for anything else when you are the one accused of shooting an "unarmed black man in the back" lest you make yourself the rankest of hypocrites.

As I wrote above, IMO, the state should be required to provide at least dollar for dollar for the defense of every citizen accused of a crime as they spend prosecuting the crime. Until that is the case, at the very least, nobody should do anything to hinder a man's ability to mount an effective defense through all legal means. And asking for donations is entirely legal.

What we assent to--legally and socially--for this now-ex-cop, is all we can expect for anyone else accused of murder....even if we "know" in some future case it really was legit self-defense and the poor OCer is getting railroaded.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

--Marxist.org

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    bloody h3ll, get him the same as another citizen w/o $$$ ~ a public defender to provide a full, vigorous defense, and full due process!

he apparently shot the unarmed black citizen in the back!!!

no i shan't continue or i will get banned...

ipse
    So many innocent people go through the hardship of being falsely accused of a crime, sometimes major crimes, very often resulting in brutal financial hardship and jail time. I really don't see how this guy deserves any special treatment, given the clear video evidence of him shooting a fleeing man in the back. What kind of man does something like this? Is he deserving of my respect? Not in my opinion.

I'm in no way disagreeing with anyone's right to a fair trial, but he deserves what he can afford like the rest of the cretin.

μολὼν λαβέ

State Researcher
    I'm in no way disagreeing with anyone's right to a fair trial, but he deserves what he can afford like the rest of the cretin.
    And just like every other accused man--whether "cretin" or decent guy getting a bum rap, or anywhere in between--he deserves to be able to raise funds for that defense from those who, for whatever reason, are willing to freely contribute.

His legal ability to raise funds doesn't mean much practically if financial institutions dedicated to raising funds refuse to engage in their usual business over political or social disagreements. Sure, he has a "right" to mount a defense. But what does that mean practically if fundraising websites and social media refuse to allow him the same access they give others? Or if banks refuse to write a mortgage on his home because they don't want to be connected to his defense?

As an analogy, our RKBA could be perfectly recognized by government but still be pretty hollow practically if no retailer was willing to sell guns or ammo, or if every business refused to allow carry on their property.

I can respect the legal right of businesses to discriminate even as I proclaim how bigoted and offensive I personally find that discrimination.

I can be disgusted by what it seems this man did, even as I expect him to get a fair trial and be offended by others interfering with his practical ability to fund his defense. What I find utterly hypocritical and pathetic, is for anyone on this forum to take the slightest pleasure in this man having any extra difficultly funding that defense.

It is hard for me to imagine how his conduct is anything other than cold-blooded murder. And assuming proper conviction, I want to see harsh penalties for that. But I want him to be able to mount an effective, vigorous defense, just as I'd want you, or me, or anyone else here to be able to mount an effective, vigorous defense, even if initial reports and evidence painted a very damning picture.

Do we really respect all of each others' rights?

Or have some allowed their hatred of police to overcome their better selves in this regard? Look to the example of John Adams.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    And just like every other accused man--whether "cretin" or decent guy getting a bum rap, or anywhere in between--he deserves
    I stopped at "he deserves," and skipped through your opinion ahead to:

Do we really respect all of each others' rights?

Or have some allowed their hatred of police to overcome their better selves in this regard? Look to the example of John Adams.
    This comes off as accusatory to me. Note that it's to be expected. John Adams? John Adams fighting for the fair trial of a perceived enemy has nothing to do with this situation. Is this really where the statist argument is going with this one? I couldn't come up with a more deceivingly similar analogy if I tried.

I don't know if we really respect each others' rights. Do we?
    Last edited by The Truth; 04-10-2015 at 01:34 AM.

μολὼν λαβέ

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I chose the word distasteful because although I support the company's right to not do business with anyone it chooses I find it objectionable that the company would discriminate against this cop in providing it's service. I have no respect for businesses that discriminate on any grounds rather it be moral or social pressure. The next GoFundMe discrimination may be toward someone you actually do support.
    It has nothing to do with the cop. I hope the cop gets the death penalty.
    GoFundMe has not wounded the cop in any fashion. It's just shown it'self to be the kind of business I do not wish to do business with.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No knee jerk reaction as to the officer's guilt or innocence - that will be up to the court.

However, gofundme's response is repugnant/execrable/abhorrent. Any opinion I may have had of them has plummeted.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-10-2015 at 02:20 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    I stopped at "he deserves," and skipped through your opinion ....

This comes off as accusatory to me.
    When you are willing to read my entire post, your comment on that post will have some validity. Until then, deliberately avoiding context will, not surprisingly, prevent you from obtaining full and proper context.

John Adams? John Adams fighting for the fair trial of a perceived enemy has nothing to do with this situation.
    It's a shame you fail to see the clear parallels.

Is this really where the statist argument is going with this one?
    I have no idea what you are getting at with "statist" anything here. Can you clarify?

I don't know if we really respect each others' rights. Do we?
    I fear you've revealed your position even without an overt answer.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Yeah, agree with Grape. I don't like it. Let the legal system sort things out, meanwhile he deserves a vigorous defense, the best money can buy.

Let him have a jury of his peers...fellow cops. Let's see if there are 12 LEOs with integrity out there.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 04-10-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast