• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana Gun Permit in Ohio

Johnruehlz

Hi I'm an 18 year old gun and I want to own a hand gun and keep it in my car because I'm going to be commuting to a bad area. Right now you are not legally allowed to buy a handgun or conceal carry one in Ohio until 21. I want to know if I can go to Indiana which allows a 18 year to get a gun permit and concealed carry even for non-residents. Ohio does honor Indiana's gun permit and concealed carry so would this be permitted?

JustaShooter

Hi I'm an 18 year old gun and I want to own a hand gun and keep it in my car because I'm going to be commuting to a bad area. Right now you are not legally allowed to buy a handgun or conceal carry one in Ohio until 21. I want to know if I can go to Indiana which allows a 18 year to get a gun permit and concealed carry even for non-residents. Ohio does honor Indiana's gun permit and concealed carry so would this be permitted?

A couple of things:
First, how are you going to acquire your handgun? No one can legally sell or even give one to you in IN or OH in the first place.

Second, since Ohio doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with IN, Ohio residents are only able to legally carry on an IN license for the first 6 months of residency.

Also, I'm pretty sure you have to work in IN to get a non-resident license according to Indiana Code:
IC 35-47-2-4 (f)
The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter