Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .454 Casull

.454 Casull

Well it's almost time again for me to score a new big ol' handgun, and I've got my eyes on a revolver this time, the Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull to be exact. This may be the most aesthetically pleasing revolver I've ever laid eyes on. I'm dead set on owning some of the biggest, baddest handguns in existence and I think this pistol will be a nice addition.

I almost got a killer price on a 500 Magnum from a poster on this forum but the deal fell through. Ever since I've been craving a big bore Magnum handgun. I would love a .460 Magnum, but for the price I don't think I can complain about the .454. Plus, I'm in love so I'm ignoring logic a little bit.

I mean look at this thing... Mmmmmm

Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 04-10-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I would think the ballistics would suffer greatly out of such a short barrel.

Muzzle flash is a sight to behold though - think dragon breath !!

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Worked well on a brown bear it was the short barrel model even through they show the 7.5 inch model until the bottom of the article

He drew a Ruger .454 Casull revolver. There was no time to aim, barely time to squeeze the trigger. He’s not sure whether he got off two shots or three, but one proved fatal. “Total luck shot,” he said. “It doesn’t get any closer. He slid by me on his chin when I shot him,” Brush said. “I was backpedaling as fast as I could. I wasn’t even aiming. I tripped over my own feet as I pulled the trigger.” He estimated that the animal weighed 900-plus pounds, and was 15 to 20 years old. It had grass packed in its molars and little fat on its bones. “It was starving to death and saw an opportunity,” Brush - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2....oC0z7nSn.dpuf
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 04-10-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I would think the ballistics would suffer greatly out of such a short barrel.

Muzzle flash is a sight to behold though - think dragon breath !!

Note the part about being in love...defying logic...etc.

From what I've read, people have had no trouble laying down enormous ferocious animals with it despite the snubby. It's almost a novelty item.

A 4" barrel may be more practical but again... in love... blah blah

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

please, oh please, remember this is a family oriented environment, and try not to mess yourself!!

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-10-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Founder's Club Member
    I've seen towed artillery that was smaller than one of those things.

That being said, the old adage about carrying a gun because nobody makes a holster for an F16 applies. If somebody makes a holster for it, then it must be good to carry.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Worked well on a brown bear it was the short barrel model even through they show the 7.5 inch model until the bottom of the article
    Did he shoot the bear or just catch it on fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Definitely would not recommend using the thumb forward support hand grip that some use when firing a semi-suto pistol.

Very bad idea with a revolver - note this is just a dramatization.

To see the claimed damage follow the link - warning it's very graphic:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bl.../2313371/posts
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Definitely would not recommend using the thumb forward support hand grip that some use when firing a semi-suto pistol.

Very bad idea with a revolver - note this is just a dramatization.

To see the claimed damage follow the link - warning it's very graphic:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bl.../2313371/posts
    What a *not a smart person*.

μολὼν λαβέ

I have had to correct first time revolvers shooters more then once not to grab the revolver around the cylinder.

It seems like semi auto shooters who want to put their off hand thumb right behind the slide.

Even people who say they never have shot a handgun before seem to take the same type of weird grips. Movies, video games?

You can show them the proper stance grip ect then all of a sudden you get them on the range they are doing something you haven't taught them.

Then when you ask them where they learned that they give you the same look like what are you talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I have had to correct first time revolvers shooters more then once not to grab the revolver around the cylinder.

It seems like semi auto shooters who want to put their off hand thumb right behind the slide.

Even people who say they never have shot a handgun before seem to take the same type of weird grips. Movies, video games?

You can show them the proper stance grip ect then all of a sudden you get them on the range they are doing something you haven't taught them.

Then when you ask them where they learned that they give you the same look like what are you talking about.
    In most cases with newbies, I have found women and young children to be more attentive to good practices/procedures. Not really sure why that is, though have given it some considerable thought.

Suspect there are a variety of reasons. It is something with which I have learned to work.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-11-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added

Really????

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Well it's almost time again for me to score a new big ol' handgun, and I've got my eyes on a revolver this time, the Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull to be exact. This may be the most aesthetically pleasing revolver I've ever laid eyes on. I'm dead set on owning some of the biggest, baddest handguns in existence and I think this pistol will be a nice addition.

I almost got a killer price on a 500 Magnum from a poster on this forum but the deal fell through. Ever since I've been craving a big bore Magnum handgun. I would love a .460 Magnum, but for the price I don't think I can complain about the .454. Plus, I'm in love so I'm ignoring logic a little bit.

I mean look at this thing... Mmmmmm

dont wimp out
    dont go hal way
    dont get a gun that is not what you want

go the whole hawg!!!

S&W 500 8 3/8 500 Magnum

EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

1245 I don't see a thumb in your picture...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

The Wild West Guns custom Ruger, dubbed the Wolverine, gets my vote. They have a couple in the Las Vegas store, and I will have one as soon as I can justify a reason.

.454 Casull, .45 Colt, and also cut for .45 ACP moonclips, and unbelievably well finished and tuned.

The S&W .500 belongs in movies and rental ranges.

Last edited by MAC702; 04-11-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

That is incredibly sweet. The snubby just gives me that warm special feeling...oh there I go again

μολὼν λαβέ

looks like a nice one Mac what are they asking for them

I think the .454 Wolverine has a sticker of $1800, but they negotiate.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Ouch...that's almost a grand more than the stock snubby.

μολὼν λαβέ

EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Founder's Club Member
    Well, at least TheTruth's gun doesn't have those sissy ports in the barrel.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Wowwie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Well, at least TheTruth's gun doesn't have those sissy ports in the barrel.

TheTruth doesnt have sissy ports,,, cause he doesnt have the gun!

I DO have "The GUN!",,, Sissy ports keep it from breaking my wrists!

4 of us shot my 500! We were all uncannily accurate with it!
    But it almost got away from the last shooter!

Lol@sissy ports

1245A Defender your link is broke'd

μολὼν λαβέ

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

TheTruth doesnt have sissy ports,,, cause he doesnt have the gun!

I DO have "The GUN!",,, Sissy ports keep it from breaking my wrists!

4 of us shot my 500! We were all uncannily accurate with it!
    But it almost got away from the last shooter!

The irony is that my threshold for masochism is launching full-house 158gr .357 mag's out of a S&W 686. I was convinced right then and there that if I was ever invited again to another such field artillery exercise, I would politely offer to run the spotting scope instead. I put y'all in the same category as people who enjoy shooting 12 ga. 3" magnums.

Last edited by Citizen; 04-12-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Lol@sissy ports

1245A Defender your link is broke'd
    Works fine for me.

Try this door to the same room:
    http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53680

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast