• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.454 Casull

The Truth

Well it's almost time again for me to score a new big ol' handgun, and I've got my eyes on a revolver this time, the Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull to be exact. This may be the most aesthetically pleasing revolver I've ever laid eyes on. I'm dead set on owning some of the biggest, baddest handguns in existence and I think this pistol will be a nice addition.

I almost got a killer price on a 500 Magnum from a poster on this forum but the deal fell through. Ever since I've been craving a big bore Magnum handgun. I would love a .460 Magnum, but for the price I don't think I can complain about the .454. Plus, I'm in love so I'm ignoring logic a little bit.

I mean look at this thing... Mmmmmm

23477-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would think the ballistics would suffer greatly out of such a short barrel.

Muzzle flash is a sight to behold though - think dragon breath !!

Firearms Iinstuctor

Worked well on a brown bear it was the short barrel model even through they show the 7.5 inch model until the bottom of the article

He drew a Ruger .454 Casull revolver. There was no time to aim, barely time to squeeze the trigger. He’s not sure whether he got off two shots or three, but one proved fatal. “Total luck shot,” he said. “It doesn’t get any closer. He slid by me on his chin when I shot him,” Brush said. “I was backpedaling as fast as I could. I wasn’t even aiming. I tripped over my own feet as I pulled the trigger.” He estimated that the animal weighed 900-plus pounds, and was 15 to 20 years old. It had grass packed in its molars and little fat on its bones. “It was starving to death and saw an opportunity,” Brush - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ng-bear-with-454-casull/#sthash.oC0z7nSn.dpuf

Last edited:

The Truth

I would think the ballistics would suffer greatly out of such a short barrel.

Muzzle flash is a sight to behold though - think dragon breath !!

Note the part about being in love...defying logic...etc. :D

From what I've read, people have had no trouble laying down enormous ferocious animals with it despite the snubby. It's almost a novelty item.

A 4" barrel may be more practical but again... in love... blah blah

solus

please, oh please, remember this is a family oriented environment, and try not to mess yourself!!:shocker:

ipse

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've seen towed artillery that was smaller than one of those things.

That being said, the old adage about carrying a gun because nobody makes a holster for an F16 applies. If somebody makes a holster for it, then it must be good to carry.

:D

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have had to correct first time revolvers shooters more then once not to grab the revolver around the cylinder.

It seems like semi auto shooters who want to put their off hand thumb right behind the slide.

Even people who say they never have shot a handgun before seem to take the same type of weird grips. Movies, video games?

You can show them the proper stance grip ect then all of a sudden you get them on the range they are doing something you haven't taught them.

Then when you ask them where they learned that they give you the same look like what are you talking about.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have had to correct first time revolvers shooters more then once not to grab the revolver around the cylinder.

It seems like semi auto shooters who want to put their off hand thumb right behind the slide.

Even people who say they never have shot a handgun before seem to take the same type of weird grips. Movies, video games?

You can show them the proper stance grip ect then all of a sudden you get them on the range they are doing something you haven't taught them.

Then when you ask them where they learned that they give you the same look like what are you talking about.
In most cases with newbies, I have found women and young children to be more attentive to good practices/procedures. Not really sure why that is, though have given it some considerable thought.

Suspect there are a variety of reasons. It is something with which I have learned to work.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Really????

Well it's almost time again for me to score a new big ol' handgun, and I've got my eyes on a revolver this time, the Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull to be exact. This may be the most aesthetically pleasing revolver I've ever laid eyes on. I'm dead set on owning some of the biggest, baddest handguns in existence and I think this pistol will be a nice addition.

I almost got a killer price on a 500 Magnum from a poster on this forum but the deal fell through. Ever since I've been craving a big bore Magnum handgun. I would love a .460 Magnum, but for the price I don't think I can complain about the .454. Plus, I'm in love so I'm ignoring logic a little bit.

I mean look at this thing... Mmmmmm

23477-DEFAULT-L.jpg

dont wimp out
dont go hal way
dont get a gun that is not what you want

go the whole hawg!!!

S&W 500 8 3/8 500 Magnum

HPmatt

1245 I don't see a thumb in your picture...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The Wild West Guns custom Ruger, dubbed the Wolverine, gets my vote. They have a couple in the Las Vegas store, and I will have one as soon as I can justify a reason.

.454 Casull, .45 Colt, and also cut for .45 ACP moonclips, and unbelievably well finished and tuned.

The S&W .500 belongs in movies and rental ranges.

IMG_0648.jpg

Last edited:

The Truth

That is incredibly sweet. The snubby just gives me that warm special feeling...oh there I go again ;)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think the .454 Wolverine has a sticker of $1800, but they negotiate.