• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Formal and work holsters or on-for-everything

stealthyeliminator

How many use different holsters for different occasions and how many just have one they use all the time? Different scenarios being, like, going out to a nice dinner with family friends versus working in the yard?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have two holsters for my EDC handgun - the EDC one and the BBQ one. (The BBQ one is a gussied-up version of the EDC one.)

Same manual of arms no matter what.

Yes, I have other guns which have other holsters. When planning to wear them I do some practice in the hope that I do not try to draw my EDC handgun from my EDC holster when wearing something else.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Most times I use a specific holster for each gun. I am so ugly nobody notices if I have a pretty holster. But I do have a zombie holster for the Glock I made for someone and they never picked it up. So a made a mag case, and knife sheath to go with it. I just make sure to never wear it on Thursdays.

stealthyeliminator

Same manual of arms no matter what.

I'm not familiar with what manual of arms means. I've now read the Wikipedia page on it but I suspect you don't mean it in quite the way it is presented there. Does it just mean that both holsters are essentially of the same type and that the same steps for usage are the same between them?

I realized today that I have ended up with two different holsters that basically fit the fancy and basic categorizations. But, rather than having an EDC and then a nice or formal holster, it is more that my fancy or nice holster will be my EDC and I will probably use the other less expensive holster, if doing an activity that might get it scuffed or dirty. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not familiar with what manual of arms means. I've now read the Wikipedia page on it but I suspect you don't mean it in quite the way it is presented there. Does it just mean that both holsters are essentially of the same type and that the same steps for usage are the same between them?

I realized today that I have ended up with two different holsters that basically fit the fancy and basic categorizations. But, rather than having an EDC and then a nice or formal holster, it is more that my fancy or nice holster will be my EDC and I will probably use the other less expensive holster, if doing an activity that might get it scuffed or dirty. :)

Yes - having the mind know how to get it out and into business without having to remember what gun in which holster makes life easy.

Switching out means practice or taking a crapshoot on being as good as I need to be.

stay safe.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I use Fobus holsters on almost all of my pistols. The utility of them is the best option for me as I bang into things as I stumble through life.
I do have a few leather holsters for "occasions". Dressing up for my Sweet Baboo, or some formal thing will get leather, and just knocking about merits kydex.

I am looking for a good BBQ holster.

HPmatt

it is okay if it glows or is black-lite fluorescent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What if one's holster is made from the skin of Hugh de Cressingham?

Patchwork holsters are for hippies, just like patchwork vests. And I would be amazed if you could pull hard enough for it to give up its [strike]grasp[/strike] retention.

stay safe.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What if one's holster is made from the skin of Hugh de Cressingham?

(Damn! I hate when he does that! Had to google it.:p:))

Answer to Marshaul's question: Only appropriate at cannibal fundraisers. And, the occasional Scottish commemoration of the Battle of Stirling Bridge.

Rusty Young Man

How many use different holsters for different occasions and how many just have one they use all the time? Different scenarios being, like, going out to a nice dinner with family friends versus working in the yard?

Always running (or running with;)) a black, hot-waxed leather holster. They're sturdy, secure, and go with everything from a T-shirt and faded blue jeans to a dress shirt and slacks (I hope:uhoh:).

WalkingWolf inspired me to hot-wax my belt, and I then got carried away and did the same to my other belts and holsters.:D
15-20 minutes of soaking left them impervious to moisture (sweat, rain, or spills; yeah, I can be clumsy :()
In short: I like leather, and I like hot wax.

solus

RYM, both result in smoothness to the touch!!!

oh wait wrong thread...or is it???

ipse

stealthyeliminator

Always running (or running with;)) a black, hot-waxed leather holster. They're sturdy, secure, and go with everything from a T-shirt and faded blue jeans to a dress shirt and slacks (I hope:uhoh:).

WalkingWolf inspired me to hot-wax my belt, and I then got carried away and did the same to my other belts and holsters.:D
15-20 minutes of soaking left them impervious to moisture (sweat, rain, or spills; yeah, I can be clumsy :()
In short: I like leather, and I like hot wax.

Sounds like something I need to do. I got caught in a downpour and now my holster has some spots :(

BTW, anyone know how to get rid of said spots, relatively inexpensively?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
For years I have intended to get a very nice, custom leather holster for my carry sidearm. Something always messes it up just before I do it; most often me buying a different gun. :monkey

I do have a decent leather holster I use for OC with my preferred 1911 that I think looks nicer than my kydex options.

So yes, I am totally on board with the OP concept of a daily "duty" holster that may get beat up a bit and a nicer holster for other times, but I have not quite got around to that yet but do keep my holsters presentable and clean.

Rusty Young Man

Sounds like something I need to do. I got caught in a downpour and now my holster has some spots :(

BTW, anyone know how to get rid of said spots, relatively inexpensively?

Don't know about the spots, but make sure your holster (or any leather) is completely dry before the waxing. Then again, the waxing will render any color into a darker shade of its former hue, so the spots might disappear to the untrained eye. For instance, the "tan" color of the horsehide liner on my belt turned a walnut brown, making the texture lines go away. I almost hated seeing them go, but nobody but me would ever know they were gone, so...