Thread: New to AZ and Tombstone question

New to AZ and Tombstone question

I just moved to AZ from NY. I visited Tombstone last week. Being new here, I am happily open carrying... No can do in NY. Almost every shop plus the OK coral had signs in one form or another saying that no weapons/guns allowed. Was this just a way to make Tombstone authentic when Wyatt made the rule back then, or was this restriction for real?

I'm rarely in Tombstone, but most of AZ has far more stores without such idiotic signage, and we easily have no problem spending money in the places that welcome us.

Wyatt Earp, despite his luck and skill, was a drunk horse thief and has no business being remembered as a legend, much less a hero. His rule was as anti-2A and anti-American as it gets. He was the typical modern cop.

Hopefully, you'll quickly adapt to Tombstone and find the off-tourist places that are true to the AZ spirit.
    Last edited by MAC702; 04-12-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by JayTea View Post
    I just moved to AZ from NY. I visited Tombstone last week. Being new here, I am happily open carrying... No can do in NY. Almost every shop plus the OK coral had signs in one form or another saying that no weapons/guns allowed. Was this just a way to make Tombstone authentic when Wyatt made the rule back then, or was this restriction for real?
    You've noticed one of the big differences between Tucson and a town desperate for the tourist dollar. Respect the wishes of the private property owners, as we all should until everyone else can join the 'protected classes' that cannot be discriminated against.

I'm envious, of all the places in the US that I've lived, I miss Aridzona most of all.

Thank you for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by JayTea View Post
    It's already been said, but AZ private businesses don't post gunbuster signs, for the most part. The exceptions, in my limited experience, occur in tourist traps and places with high concentrations of Liberals (note the capitalized "L" denoting the group which has taken this word to describe their statist inclinations).

The area around the University of Arizona and Arizona State University (a bit less) fit the latter description. If you ever get curious, OC down 4th Ave.; you can actually feel the stares.

Let me know if you'd ever like to meet up in the downtown area for a quick lunch or some ice cream (starting to get hot enough for it). Always happy to meet an OCer and/or a Freedom-loving individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    SNIP...I'm envious, of all the places in the US that I've lived, I miss Aridzona most of all.
    Thanks for the kind words for my home state Fallschirmjäger. I do believe that is the most concise and heartfelt phrase I've heard.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-14-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Reply to Fallschirmjäger
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

yes, you can OC, CCW,
    you can even buy and own a machine gun in AZ!
    Love this place

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I'm rarely in Tombstone, but most of AZ has far more stores without such idiotic signage, and we easily have no problem spending money in the places that welcome us.

Wyatt Earp, despite his luck and skill, was a drunk horse thief and has no business being remembered as a legend, much less a hero. His rule was as anti-2A and anti-American as it gets. He was the typical modern cop.

Hopefully, you'll quickly adapt to Tombstone and find the off-tourist places that are true to the AZ spirit.

Agreed about Wyatt Earp, but I still enjoy watching Tombstone, Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday was fantastic.

New to AZ and Tombstone question

http://youtu.be/R8OWNspU_yE

"I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear..."
    :thumbsup:
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-27-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    Agreed about Wyatt Earp, but I still enjoy watching Tombstone, Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday was fantastic.
    Not only was Val Kilmer outstanding, but I've never had anything against Doc Holliday!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip