• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry going for vote soon?

Firearms Iinstuctor

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3278747/posts

Texas: Open Carry Measure Scheduled for Vote in Texas House Tomorrow

--Moderator changed "Tomorrow in title to "Soon?' --

‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎23‎ ‎PM · by Windflier · 19 replies
NRA-ILA.org ^ | 13 April 2015 | NRA Staff

Tomorrow, April 14, the Texas House of Representatives is scheduled to consider House Bill 910, NRA-supported open carry legislation sponsored by state Representative Larry Phillips (R-Sherman). HB 910 removes the requirement that Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHL) keep their handguns concealed and gives them the option of carrying them either wholly or partially visible in a belt or shoulder holster. After having established a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior, Texas CHLs have earned this personal protection option that 43 states currently allow. Eighty members of the House have signed onto the bill. Rep. Phillips deserves strong praise for his

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
I'll put some clarification here because the legislative process is very complicated and there was a lot of mis-communication and misconceptions when SB17 went through the Senate. The House operates the same way.

HB 910 is not going for a vote tomorrow. A bill has to be ready three times on three separate days before it can be voted on unless that rule is suspended. On a controversial bill like this, it is highly unlikely that they will suspend that rule. The usual process is the following:

First Day: Bill is read. If it's minor or an emergency, the three day period can be suspended to get it passed on the first day. This won't happen with HB910.
Second Day: Bill is read, amendments are proposed and debated/voted on. Amendments require a majority to pass. Bill as amended is voted on. If it passes, it is considered engrossed. Do not confuse this with passing out of the Senate, that final vote will happen on the third day.
Third Day: Bill is read. Amendments can be proposed at this time, but it requires a much higher percentage of favorable votes to pass so they typically don't. There is a final vote on the bill and it is passed through the House.

How fast the bill progresses depends on what kind amendments are proposed in the House. If the same amendments are proposed and approved that were added to SB17, we will most likely see the bill get to the Governor's desk very quickly. If it's different from SB17, it will delay it significantly.

stealthyeliminator

I'll put some clarification here because the legislative process is very complicated and there was a lot of mis-communication and misconceptions when SB17 went through the Senate. The House operates the same way.

HB 910 is not going for a vote tomorrow. A bill has to be ready three times on three separate days before it can be voted on unless that rule is suspended. On a controversial bill like this, it is highly unlikely that they will suspend that rule. The usual process is the following:

First Day: Bill is read. If it's minor or an emergency, the three day period can be suspended to get it passed on the first day. This won't happen with HB910.
Second Day: Bill is read, amendments are proposed and debated/voted on. Amendments require a majority to pass. Bill as amended is voted on. If it passes, it is considered engrossed. Do not confuse this with passing out of the Senate, that final vote will happen on the third day.
Third Day: Bill is read. Amendments can be proposed at this time, but it requires a much higher percentage of favorable votes to pass so they typically don't. There is a final vote on the bill and it is passed through the House.

How fast the bill progresses depends on what kind amendments are proposed in the House. If the same amendments are proposed and approved that were added to SB17, we will most likely see the bill get to the Governor's desk very quickly. If it's different from SB17, it will delay it significantly.

Thank you

stealthyeliminator

A point of order was used today to delay. I don't know that I understand the details of it well enough to explain, maybe Ian will be able and willing to do that...

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
I wasn't able to watch the broadcast so I'm trying to find out what happened. It's saying it was returned to committee. I don't know why though.

acmariner99

Seems to me the TX legislature is in no hurry to pass even licensed OC.

I laugh at Texas' claim to be a free state.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Alright, so I looked up the journal entries and found out what's going on. I'm actually surprised at how much happened to HB910 today and contrary to acmariner99's uninformed comment, this kind of action today is lightning speed for a legislature. First off, here's what happened today starting at the bottom.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=HB910
H Reported favorably as substituted 04/14/2015
H Committee substitute considered in committee 04/14/2015
H Considered in formal meeting 04/14/2015
H Scheduled for formal meeting on . . . 04/14/2015
H Returned to committee 04/14/2015 11:52 AM 1543
H Point of order sustained Rule 4, Section 32(b); Rule 4, Section 32(d); and Rule 4, Section 20 04/14/2015 1543
H Read 2nd time 04/14/2015 1542

Now, as for what the point of order was, the journal entry says the following:
http://www.journals.house.state.tx.us/HJRNL/84R/PDF/84RDAY49FINAL.PDF
Representative Martinez Fischer raised a point of order against further consideration of CSHB 910 under Rule 4, Section 32(b); Rule 4, Section 32(d); and Rule 4, Section 20 of the House Rules on the grounds that the committee report, bill analysis, and sworn statement of witnesses are incomplete. The speaker sustained the point of order. CSHB 910 was returned to the Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety.

So as a summary of what happened. The bill was read for a second time, a point of order was made that the committee report was incomplete, it was sent back to the committee, considered, voted on, approved, and recommended back to the House. That's a lot to happen in the same day. While this kind of action isn't particularly surprising given that the primary author of the bill is the Chairman of the committee, it still shows that we have people that are fighting hard to get this bill through as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

mustangkiller

If I understand correctly, we will start off tomorrow where the amendments left off today? Discuss, amend further if needed, read one more time and then vote?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
If I understand correctly, we will start off tomorrow where the amendments left off today? Discuss, amend further if needed, read one more time and then vote?

Not a final vote. The bill has to be passed as engrossed after the amendments are added, then on a separate day there is a final vote to pass the bill out of the chamber. I'm thinking that because there was a clerical error, it will be kind of like a do-over for today for the second reading. I can't guarantee that the bill will go directly back to the House tomorrow, but when it does, I would imagine that is when we would see possible amendments and an initial vote on the bill for engrossment.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I find it rather exciting and don 't even live in TX, although I do have several friends and a remote access employee in TX so a celebratory visit may be in order if this passes. Good luck guys!

HPmatt

I find it rather exciting and don 't even live in TX, although I do have several friends and a remote access employee in TX so a celebratory visit may be in order if this passes. Good luck guys!

You'd have to drive OC through OK to get here....:)

Glockster

It will be interesting to see what happens, given that one representative has 162 proposed amendments that he will introduce tomorrow.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
It will be interesting to see what happens, given that one representative has 162 proposed amendments that he will introduce tomorrow.

Wow. I'm not really sure what to say to that. I would also like to know who this is so I can call their office.

rushcreek2

I am confident that this measure for licensed CARRY -period will in fact be passed out of the Texas Legislature and signed into law by Governor Abbott.

Aside from the DPS's signing on to the measure - subject to an effective date of January 1, 2016......another GOOD aspect of that effective date is....that January 1st customarily is accompanied by severe cold weather.......

......meaning there really won't be a tsunami of licensed open carry right off the bat.

It is April in North Central Texas ..and I'm still wearing a jacket !