• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry going for vote soon?

Glockster

Wow. I'm not really sure what to say to that. I would also like to know who this is so I can call their office.

This was in the Hoston Chronicle:
"Prince of POO' forces delay in open carry, fracking bills"
"Rep. Jonathan Stickland, R-Bedford, said he will attempt to force a vote on constitutional carry on Friday. If the House refuses, he said he has 162 amendments he can offer to make the bill less restrictive. Open carry opponents are expected to submit a number of their own amendments, including one to bar open carry by those who have lost their Texas concealed handgun licenses."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...hp?t=0e9a2b5d49388379ba&cmpid=twitter-premium

Last edited:

JWPA1

Watching now....

Navarez is trying his best to shoot this thing down! This is getting nuts in this house. we are at ammendment 4 and so far they have all been tabled and TWO Point of Orders have been OVERULED!!!! Seems like some of these guys are just trying to draw out the inevitable and the speaker is getting increasingly irritated!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Attorney testified that no where in the 2A did he see OC authorized. If he is indeed a constitutional scholar, he knows darn well that the 2A is a restriction on the government = thou shall not..... He knows or should know that when a reference/restriction is absent, it is then therefore legal - that is Law 101.

Other legislative 'scholars' are suggesting a checker board square approach - some cities/municipalities no OC, others OC according to decisions of local government. That is stoopid - creates a high risk environment for otherwise law abiding people.

The Dark Reaper

level 2 holsters

I personally think the level 2 and 3 holsters are a good thing but once again too each his/her own, to me it is a security thing from working as a commissioned security officer for 22 years so I would not have any problem with those type of holsters

Last edited:

JWPA1

As ridiculous and drawn out as they have made this process, has been and still is going at this point,....I truly applaud the men and women of the [strike]senate[/strike]( correction House ) for working this late on a friday where NONE of us expected them to be going this long.

Last edited:

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
As ridiculous and drawn out as they have made this process, has been and still is going at this point,....I truly applaud the men and women of the senate for working this late on a friday where NONE of us expected them to be going this long.

Just to clarify, it's the House of Representatives having this debate. The Senate already passed open carry. It is certainly a heated debate at that. I'm very happy to see how much Representatives are fighting this ridiculous Speaker of the House.

JWPA1

My apologies your correct.......and FINALLY am I correct in saying this bill has passed to engrossment and will go to the governors Desk???? Does this mean what i think it means!?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran

This is not the correct answer. Please do the research on the legislative process if you're going to answer questions like this. We have enough mis-information about these bills out there as is.

As I've stated before, when a bill is passed to engrossment after a second reading, it will require a third reading and final vote before it actually passes the chamber. I have no doubt that it will pass after the third reading, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Also, this appears to have less amendments than SB17 which will mean it will require the senate to approve it. If it passes tomorrow, it does not go straight to the Governor's desk. This bill might even require a conference committee for the respective chambers to hash out the small differences that they have in the bill. This is certainly exciting, but throughout this process people have been incredibly quick to start celebrating before everything is finalized.

When you're looking at the bill status here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=HB910
We're looking for "Read 3rd time" and "Passed" exactly as it is in the quotes.

For an example of what I'm talking about, see SB17: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB17

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

So constitutional knife carry is germane, but constitutional handgun carry is non-germane...

... And then Phillips admits that the merits of constitutional carry were not considered when the fate of constitutional carry was decided.

In my opinion, that pretty much underscores the illegitimacy of the whole process.

mustangkiller

From the provided links:
SB17 Degree of Association: Identical
Author: Estes
Last Action: 03/18/2015 H Received from the Senate
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties.

Unless they didn't update this report, it may be identical. If that is in fact the case, wouldn't the third reading and final vote be next?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
From the provided links:
SB17 Degree of Association: Identical
Author: Estes
Last Action: 03/18/2015 H Received from the Senate
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties.

Unless they didn't update this report, it may be identical.

The description of HB910 and SB17 being identical does not make the bills themselves being identical. HB910 and SB17 were identical before they entered their respective chambers. Keyword here being "were." SB17 was not turned into HB910, they are different entities and now the language in them is slightly different. Unfortunately, that's enough to keep it from going to the Governor's desk until both chambers can agree on a compromise and come up with one bill that represents the interests of both chambers.

...If that is in fact the case, wouldn't the third reading and final vote be next?

You are correct that the third reading and final vote will be the next course of action, most likely Monday.

The Dark Reaper

Amendment 9

with the Adoption of Amendment no. 9. Does this mean that it is going to be left up the city council weather or not they are going to allow the open carry???

Last edited: