Thread: Felony for accessing teacher's computer to change desktop background

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Felony for accessing teacher's computer to change desktop background

I really only post this to make note of a humorous contradiction in statements made be law enforcement officials... and to make fun of people that use stupid passwords.

“Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done,” Sheriff Chris Nocco told the Tampa Bay Times Thursday.

One of the computers Green “hacked” contained encrypted 2014 Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) questions, although the police say he didn’t view those files.

forgot link http://time.com/3817582/boy-arrested...er-background/

lol

Oh my, who knows what he might have done?!
    Later...
    We have enough forensic data and analysis to confidently say that specific files were not viewed.
    Errr... so much for the fear mongering.

I think the real problem here is that educators are using their last names as passwords. That shouldn't even be possible on a properly administrated system, but even if possible, you'd really have to be an idiot to do it.

I'd hate to see the charges handed out in certain information technology classes at certain colleges, should law enforcement become privy of some of the pranks that go on in some of those...

And really, a felony? So, because this kid changed a desktop background, he'll be denied his fundamental rights to self defense. Bravo Amerika. Well played, statists.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 04-13-2015 at 08:33 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    A felony? Do they intend to try him as an adult for this school prank?

Poor judgement yes, but hardly rising to a level that would cause someone to have future employment opportunities jeopardized or to lose their RKBA.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

He can help Hillary manage her Presidential email server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

State Researcher
    Don't be silly. They charge a felony and then offer a plea deal to some misdemeanor that is still over-kill, but compared to lifetime loss of rights, is way safer to accept than to fight the felony and risk a conviction.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Bravo Amerika. Well played, statists.
    Sure, the problem is that government exists. Because in an anarchist society the teacher and/or owner of the property would simply claim a right to shoot anyone who trespassed.

The problem is not the existence of government. The problem is people who don't understand proportionality or common sense.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Not judging the young man one way or the other just my opinion as I see things now.

Felony and loss of RKBA should not even be on the table.....neither a misdemeanor.

No need to involve the court system - handle it with an in school suspension. Redirect this youngster and help him to become a productive member of society.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not judging the young man one way or the other just my opinion as I see things now.

Felony and loss of RKBA should not even be on the table.....neither a misdemeanor.

No need to involve the court system - handle it with an in school suspension. Redirect this youngster and help him to become a productive member of society.
    Exactly. Young people do stupid stuff. This particular stupid thing didn't really hurt anyone. His life shouldn't be ruined to pay for his mistake.
    Good educators used to be able to deal with this type of thing. The thing I feel the worst about in this country above the debt, the spying, the failed drug war, the rights violations, is the horrific condition of the education system.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    SNIPGood educators used to be able to deal with this type of thing.
    You know, you've got a point.

I can recall a particular teacher. His handling would have been to lightheartedly compliment the ingenuity and the focus on the goal. Then playfully ask that everybody refrain from trying a similar prank. Then, when alone with you, gently, probingly ask if there is anything else you would like to confess to. Don't ask me how I know this.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.