• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felony for accessing teacher's computer to change desktop background

stealthyeliminator

I really only post this to make note of a humorous contradiction in statements made be law enforcement officials... and to make fun of people that use stupid passwords.

“Even though some might say this is just a teenage prank, who knows what this teenager might have done,” Sheriff Chris Nocco told the Tampa Bay Times Thursday.

One of the computers Green “hacked” contained encrypted 2014 Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) questions, although the police say he didn’t view those files.

forgot link http://time.com/3817582/boy-arrested-computer-background/

lol

Oh my, who knows what he might have done?!
Later...
We have enough forensic data and analysis to confidently say that specific files were not viewed.
Errr... so much for the fear mongering.

I think the real problem here is that educators are using their last names as passwords. That shouldn't even be possible on a properly administrated system, but even if possible, you'd really have to be an idiot to do it.

I'd hate to see the charges handed out in certain information technology classes at certain colleges, should law enforcement become privy of some of the pranks that go on in some of those...

And really, a felony? So, because this kid changed a desktop background, he'll be denied his fundamental rights to self defense. Bravo Amerika. Well played, statists.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A felony? Do they intend to try him as an adult for this school prank?

Poor judgement yes, but hardly rising to a level that would cause someone to have future employment opportunities jeopardized or to lose their RKBA.

HPmatt

He can help Hillary manage her Presidential email server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utbagpiper

Banned
Don't be silly. They charge a felony and then offer a plea deal to some misdemeanor that is still over-kill, but compared to lifetime loss of rights, is way safer to accept than to fight the felony and risk a conviction.

utbagpiper

Banned
Bravo Amerika. Well played, statists.

Sure, the problem is that government exists. Because in an anarchist society the teacher and/or owner of the property would simply claim a right to shoot anyone who trespassed.

The problem is not the existence of government. The problem is people who don't understand proportionality or common sense.

Charles

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not judging the young man one way or the other just my opinion as I see things now.

Felony and loss of RKBA should not even be on the table.....neither a misdemeanor.

No need to involve the court system - handle it with an in school suspension. Redirect this youngster and help him to become a productive member of society.

twoskinsonemanns

Not judging the young man one way or the other just my opinion as I see things now.

Felony and loss of RKBA should not even be on the table.....neither a misdemeanor.

No need to involve the court system - handle it with an in school suspension. Redirect this youngster and help him to become a productive member of society.

Exactly. Young people do stupid stuff. This particular stupid thing didn't really hurt anyone. His life shouldn't be ruined to pay for his mistake.
Good educators used to be able to deal with this type of thing. The thing I feel the worst about in this country above the debt, the spying, the failed drug war, the rights violations, is the horrific condition of the education system.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIPGood educators used to be able to deal with this type of thing.

You know, you've got a point.

I can recall a particular teacher. His handling would have been to lightheartedly compliment the ingenuity and the focus on the goal. Then playfully ask that everybody refrain from trying a similar prank. Then, when alone with you, gently, probingly ask if there is anything else you would like to confess to. Don't ask me how I know this.