Thread: NRA-ILA says Texas CHL holders have earned the option to open carry

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

NRA-ILA says Texas CHL holders have earned the option to open carry

In a letter to members, the NRA-ILA stated that after having established a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior, Texas CHLs have earned this personal protection option that 43 states currently allow, referring to open carry bills that would allow the privileged citizens of Texas to carry a handgun on their person without being required by law to conceal it. How do you feel about their sentiments?
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 04-14-2015 at 07:06 AM.
    Advocate freedom please

NRA-ILA says Texas CHL holders have earned the option to open carry

I agree with it. Not Constitutional Carry yet, but this point is hard to argue against. Dont know if Texas Legislature will ever see any merit in CC - no $ in favor of freedom. Cynically think that having 2 million otherwise illegal Mexicans/Hondurans/Chechens/ChiComs/Syrians/Iranians OC in Texas not good either - but they are already here and probably cannot OC their military weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HPmatt; 04-14-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

How do you feel about their sentiments?
    Very generous of the NRA-ILA.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

As with any win it is better than a loss and a good building block to move forward on.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    As with any win it is better than a loss and a good building block to move forward on.
    It is also an improvement for the NRA who had for so long avoided supporting open carry.

Still disappointed that they keep it tied to permits though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Only those with permits have earned it, for the rest of the citizens "No soup for you".
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

It's a grossly improper yet common modern perception.

I would rather see it described that a state-imposed infringement of a natural right was dealt a blow, setting a course toward completely restoring this right of the people and the natural order.

Only subjects of the state would consider this 'earning' a privilege which the state will then 'allow'.

It is only by the grace of God that we even have life, much more by grace that we have rights to go along with it. No one has earned any rights. Their rights are and have always been theirs, as they've been endowed by God.

The sentiment that the Texas Legislature is to hold our liberties in custody until we've earned them is preposterous.
    Advocate freedom please

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    It is only by the grace of God that we even have life, much more by grace that we have rights to go along with it. No one has earned any rights. Their rights are and have always been theirs, as they've been endowed by God.

The sentiment that the Texas Legislature is to hold our liberties in custody until we've earned them is preposterous.
    Texans used to have that right unabridged. The municipalities and then the legislature restricted that right and made it seemingly (pun intended) a privilege.

Return to the good people of Texas that which was stolen from them. They have waited too long. The time is now to do the Right thing.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Texans used to have that right unabridged. The municipalities and then the legislature restricted that right and made it seemingly (pun intended) a privilege.

Return to the good people of Texas that which was stolen from them. They have waited too long. The time is now to do the Right thing.
    Agreed.

I kind of wonder how we've gone this long without there being a big firearm freedom movement in Texas... That might make for an interesting study to be done by someone other than me that's smart enough to do such a thing.
    Advocate freedom please

Founder's Club Member
    In a letter to members, the NRA-ILA stated that after having established a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior, Texas CHLs have earned this personal protection option that 43 states currently allow, referring to open carry bills that would allow the privileged citizens of Texas to carry a handgun on their person without being required by law to conceal it. How do you feel about their sentiments?
    I can remember not so long ago when NRA-ILA seemed pretty silent about OC rights. Glad to see they're openly advocating for OC.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It is also an improvement for the NRA who had for so long avoided supporting open carry.

Still disappointed that they keep it tied to permits though.
    Their position remains a mystery. I know that they've advocated hard for open carry in the past in a few states behind the scenes. They aren't publicly vocal about it and it isn't a national priority. It should be.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

A very perceptive and honest expression of reality.
    "Extremism ALWAYS brings about its own destruction " ( Sir Edmund Burke)

Jim Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Only those with permits have earned it, for the rest of the citizens "No soup for you".
    Speaking as a former long-time Texas resident who still follows the issues because I have so many friends there...

NH has always had legal open carry, and licensed concealed carry was a 19th Century thing (as it was almost everywhere). We were well on track to unlicensed concealed carry, until the NRA-ILA's designated representative swooped in for private meetings, and substitute language of his own, which would have required training and background checks for a license. The license would still be optional, but getting one would jump from a one page form and $10 to the local town, all the way up to as burdensome as the Texas license.

His (or NRA-ILA's) logic was this: it would expand concealed carry reciprocity if the NH licensed required training and background checks. Which totally missed the point of eliminating the license requirement for in-state concealed carry.

Fast forward to 2015, and opponents are still claiming that eliminating the need for a license would endanger reciprocity, or allow felons to carry legally, and other nonsense.

I'm not commenting to make it about NH vs. TX, just to share an experience about NRA-ILA screwing things up.

The NRA is changing their tune, because OC is gaining ground, and they got caught banking on OC hatred. NOW they are doing damage control, but behind the scenes they still fight OC.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump