• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA-ILA says Texas CHL holders have earned the option to open carry

stealthyeliminator

In a letter to members, the NRA-ILA stated that after having established a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior, Texas CHLs have earned this personal protection option that 43 states currently allow, referring to open carry bills that would allow the privileged citizens of Texas to carry a handgun on their person without being required by law to conceal it. How do you feel about their sentiments?

Last edited:

HPmatt

I agree with it. Not Constitutional Carry yet, but this point is hard to argue against. Dont know if Texas Legislature will ever see any merit in CC - no $ in favor of freedom. Cynically think that having 2 million otherwise illegal Mexicans/Hondurans/Chechens/ChiComs/Syrians/Iranians OC in Texas not good either - but they are already here and probably cannot OC their military weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
It's a grossly improper yet common modern perception.

I would rather see it described that a state-imposed infringement of a natural right was dealt a blow, setting a course toward completely restoring this right of the people and the natural order.

Only subjects of the state would consider this 'earning' a privilege which the state will then 'allow'.

stealthyeliminator

It is only by the grace of God that we even have life, much more by grace that we have rights to go along with it. No one has earned any rights. Their rights are and have always been theirs, as they've been endowed by God.

The sentiment that the Texas Legislature is to hold our liberties in custody until we've earned them is preposterous.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is only by the grace of God that we even have life, much more by grace that we have rights to go along with it. No one has earned any rights. Their rights are and have always been theirs, as they've been endowed by God.

The sentiment that the Texas Legislature is to hold our liberties in custody until we've earned them is preposterous.
Texans used to have that right unabridged. The municipalities and then the legislature restricted that right and made it seemingly (pun intended) a privilege.

Return to the good people of Texas that which was stolen from them. They have waited too long. The time is now to do the Right thing.

stealthyeliminator

Texans used to have that right unabridged. The municipalities and then the legislature restricted that right and made it seemingly (pun intended) a privilege.

Return to the good people of Texas that which was stolen from them. They have waited too long. The time is now to do the Right thing.

Agreed.

I kind of wonder how we've gone this long without there being a big firearm freedom movement in Texas... That might make for an interesting study to be done by someone other than me that's smart enough to do such a thing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In a letter to members, the NRA-ILA stated that after having established a 20-year record of law-abiding and responsible behavior, Texas CHLs have earned this personal protection option that 43 states currently allow, referring to open carry bills that would allow the privileged citizens of Texas to carry a handgun on their person without being required by law to conceal it. How do you feel about their sentiments?

I can remember not so long ago when NRA-ILA seemed pretty silent about OC rights. Glad to see they're openly advocating for OC.

77zach

It is also an improvement for the NRA who had for so long avoided supporting open carry.

Still disappointed that they keep it tied to permits though.

Their position remains a mystery. I know that they've advocated hard for open carry in the past in a few states behind the scenes. They aren't publicly vocal about it and it isn't a national priority. It should be.

rushcreek2

A very perceptive and honest expression of reality.

KBCraig

Only those with permits have earned it, for the rest of the citizens "No soup for you".
Speaking as a former long-time Texas resident who still follows the issues because I have so many friends there...

NH has always had legal open carry, and licensed concealed carry was a 19th Century thing (as it was almost everywhere). We were well on track to unlicensed concealed carry, until the NRA-ILA's designated representative swooped in for private meetings, and substitute language of his own, which would have required training and background checks for a license. The license would still be optional, but getting one would jump from a one page form and $10 to the local town, all the way up to as burdensome as the Texas license.

His (or NRA-ILA's) logic was this: it would expand concealed carry reciprocity if the NH licensed required training and background checks. Which totally missed the point of eliminating the license requirement for in-state concealed carry.

Fast forward to 2015, and opponents are still claiming that eliminating the need for a license would endanger reciprocity, or allow felons to carry legally, and other nonsense.

I'm not commenting to make it about NH vs. TX, just to share an experience about NRA-ILA screwing things up.

WalkingWolf

The NRA is changing their tune, because OC is gaining ground, and they got caught banking on OC hatred. NOW they are doing damage control, but behind the scenes they still fight OC.