• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland Police Chief does not like the 2nd Amendment

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
[h=3]Police Chief Decries America’s Fascination With Handguns[/h] Over the weekend in Ohio, a three-year-old picked up a handgun and fatally shot a one-year-old boy. In a press conference about that tragic accident, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams decided it was high time to take down America’s love of guns. “Everybody has to know [that] this fascination with handguns, not just in the city, but in the country, has to stop,” he lectured. “We need to take a long look at what we’re doing on the state, local and national level to keep these guns out of our communities.”

As usual, those who hate guns blame the tool and, in this case, the entire pro-Second Amendment population of the U.S. That said, there’s no doubt the one who left an unsecured gun in the reach of a three-year-old was not following good safety practices, and all gun owners should be ever vigilant and diligent when it comes to exercising our rights responsibly.

http://patriotpost.us/posts/34574

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/04/obsession_with_handguns_must_s.html

papa bear

Bad thing here in Mayberry. the Police chief here said , he believed in the Second amendment. he just thought citizens should not be armed. WTF

Idoncare

Cleveland is the liberal cesspool of Ohio. the Chiefs attitude is a surprise to no one who lives in this state.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Truth

Condolences to the family. Horrible...

That being said, anyone who leaves a pistol, much less a loaded pistol likely with no safety mechanism engaged around a 3yo and a 1yo is a complete *non-responsible person.

*Original descriptor redacted.

utbagpiper

Banned
Cleveland is the liberal cesspool of Ohio. the Chiefs attitude is a surprise to no one who lives in this state.

The same thing is true of virtually every other metropolitan/inner-city area, in every State of the nation; and of the persons who get appointed as police chiefs by the kind of mayors and city council members who get elected in said meto/inner-city areas.

With all respect to Grape, this is a "dog bites man" story.

What would be newsworthy would be for a big city police chief to actually support our RKBA and effective self-defense in both word and deed.

That said, I don't recall the last time any big city police chief personally effected an arrest or otherwise had actual, official use of his sidearm. I surmise then that these administrators wear a gun as either a fashion statement, some kind of prestige or honor, or to make a statement about their position (ie a social or political statement). (Certainly the chief would not admit to there being any personal safety benefit to carrying a gun.) In other words, the good chief is exhibiting exactly the kind of "fascination with handguns" that he decries in others. And Mr. Webster defines that as hypocrisy.

Charles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can't help but wonder which other rights he thinks should be ignored. Or, "solved" by erasing them.

For example, that pesky Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable searches and seizures. C'mon, how many criminals could be locked up, prevented from victimizing honest citizens if the 4A was deleted? And, further outrage, what about all the cases zero-ed out by judges who suppress the evidence arising from violations of the 4A? Wouldn't police be able to better protect citizens if the 4A no longer applied? Think of all the danger citizens have to face because of those 4A restrictions.

Same for the 5A. Some of Ted Bundy's victims might still be alive if police had been allowed to "persuade" him to confess, no? Isn't it high time these other safety-reducing restrictions get looked at, too?

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Can't help but wonder which other rights he thinks should be ignored. Or, "solved" by erasing them.

Only the ones that make his job harder....or that other liberals don't like.

Let's see:

Privacy (aka, being secure in our persons, papers, effects against unreasonable search and seizure);

Prior restraint;

Freedom of (and from unwanted) association;

Freedom of religion (libs tend to love freedom from religion);

Proof beyond a reasonable doubt of both intent and action (I can't you how often our local prosecutors lobby to remove or weaken requirements that a violation of laws include intent);

Quartering of troops (I recall the case a while back where cops seized a home for a temporary command post and the owner sued under the 3rd amendment; No idea how it turned out).

Fortunately, for all the really bad, big city chiefs out there, there also tend to be some really good, elected sheriffs, small town chiefs, and a lot of rank-and-file cops who really do desire to protect and serve their communities, to keep the peace, and to respect rights, perhaps even protect them encroachment by the feds, the other branches of government etc.

A few years ago the small town and county where I grew up was experiencing some real growing pains. Lots of California refugees had moved in because it was such a wonderful place to live....and then started complaining it wasn't just like the place they left. Some of the old timers started complaining about dogs running lose and harassing their livestock. The county commissioner said, "Well, if you have a problem animal in the unincorporated county, call the Sheriff." At this point the Sheriff spoke up and said, "BS! You haven't given me a budget for an animal control officer and my deputies have way more important things to deal with than a stray dog. If the citizens want a county wide animal country officer, they'll have to pony up some tax money to pay for it."

The commissioner asked, "Well then what should people do about stray dogs." The Sheriff responded, "Any dog running lose and harassing livestock can be shot, and that is exactly what folks should do if their neighbors won't keep their dogs properly contained."

This caused quite the consternation among some of the newer members of the community present. The local prosecutor, sensing a chance to make some points piped up with, "We can't have people just shooting willy nilly and if anyone violates any gun laws I'll be pressing charges."

To this, the sheriff said, "I won't be arresting anyone who safely puts down a loose dog that harasses livestock. And you'll have a tough time prosecuting anyone if I refuse to arrest them or serve any warrants. So if people don't want their dogs getting shot by ranchers, they better keep their dogs from harassing livestock as the law requires of them." And that pretty much ended the conversations.

Since then, the area has grown a lot, demographics have changed, and the new majority probably has elected officials who behave more like they saw in Cali than what the old time ranchers were used to. The only consolation is that influx of bodies has made land so valuable as the demand for housing has soared, that most of the old ranchers have sold out and either retired rich, or moved out beyond the reaches of urban silliness and started over on larger plots than they had previously.

The problem isn't "government" or even government officials, nearly so much as it is the ideas of our neighbors and fellow voters/citizens as to how society ought to be ordered. You and I have this silly notion that our lives, time, income, and property are our own, to do with as we see fit (within some broad limits we needn't argue about here). But a lot of our fellows are just as strongly convinced that they have some legitimate claim on our income, property, time, associations, and even expressions. In the absence of "government" some of these parasites might learn to work for themselves and then they might develop a similar affection as our own for we work to obtain. But there seems to be ample evidence that a lot of them would simply find other methods to take what they want: gang membership seems to be popular in many urban areas. I'm convinced there are no small number who--though they'd never admit it--are actually less concerned about getting what you and I have for themselves, than they are with simply doing what they can to prevent anyone from having any more than they have. In other words, if they were millionaires and had everything that bought, they'd still be very unhappy that there were billionaires with something more. They would actually be happier in poverty, so long as everyone else was there in poverty with them. They take no joy nor comfort in what they have, but only in having as much as everyone else. And that is a very dangerous position because it takes a lot less to destroy opportunity for others than it does to build anything.

And I apologize for the OT tangent.

Charles

OC for ME

For example, that pesky Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable searches and seizures. C'mon, how many criminals could be locked up, prevented from victimizing honest citizens if the 4A was deleted? And, further outrage, what about all the cases zero-ed out by judges who suppress the evidence arising from violations of the 4A? Wouldn't police be able to better protect citizens if the 4A no longer applied? Think of all the danger citizens have to face because of those 4A restrictions.

Same for the 5A. Some of Ted Bundy's victims might still be alive if police had been allowed to "persuade" him to confess, no? Isn't it high time these other safety-reducing restrictions get looked at, too?
The Good Chief is exercising his 1A to decry the ills of the 2A...ironic, actually.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The Good Chief is exercising his 1A to decry the ills of the 2A...ironic, actually.
AND if he were to do it as a "private person/citizen" I'd have no problem with his exercise of his 1A rights, but as an employee (Chief) of a Police Agency he has absolutely no business suggesting the unlawful and unconstitutional restrictions of the Rights of Any person!

Condolences to the family. Horrible...

That being said, anyone who leaves a pistol, much less a loaded pistol likely with no safety mechanism engaged around a 3yo and a 1yo is a complete *non-responsible person.

*Original descriptor redacted.

Very well stated. I could not have said it better myself

Dave Workman

Well, it's not just the police chief who seems to have a problem with guns and their owners....

:banghead: :banghead:
Cleveland council passes gun law admittedly that won’t stop violence

In a remarkable bit of candor by a public servant, a member of the Cleveland, Ohio City Council yesterday reportedly acknowledged that the city’s new gun control law was “not designed to stop gun violence,” but only reflect the “council’s values,” according to Cleveland.com.

http://www.examiner.com/article/cleveland-council-passes-gun-law-admittedly-that-won-t-stop-violence

JustaShooter

Well, it's not just the police chief who seems to have a problem with guns and their owners....

:banghead: :banghead:
Cleveland council passes gun law admittedly that won’t stop violence

In a remarkable bit of candor by a public servant, a member of the Cleveland, Ohio City Council yesterday reportedly acknowledged that the city’s new gun control law was “not designed to stop gun violence,” but only reflect the “council’s values,” according to Cleveland.com.

http://www.examiner.com/article/cleveland-council-passes-gun-law-admittedly-that-won-t-stop-violence

Not only won't they stop violence, the new laws violate Ohio's firearms preemption (ORC 9.68) and as a result, OFCC has filed suit against the city of Cleveland:

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/ofcc-sues-city-cleveland-ohio/

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
[h=3]Police Chief Calvin Williams: “Everybody has to know [that] this fascination with handguns ... has to stop,”...

Good word choice on his part. I wonder if he'll ever make the connection on what causes the "fascination." LACK OF EDUCATION. Moron.

AND if he were to do it as a "private person/citizen" I'd have no problem with his exercise of his 1A rights, but as an employee (Chief) of a Police Agency he has absolutely no business suggesting the unlawful and unconstitutional restrictions of the Rights of Any person!

Bingo! We have a winner.

Last edited: