Thread: Where can we legally shoot in Arizona

Where can we legally shoot in Arizona

Where is it legal to shoot in Arizona? it seems like it is getting harder to find a spot where you can legally shoot without having police waiting for you as you pack up to head home(It happened to me last weekend). I am not really interested in shooting ranges such as Ben Avery even though it is a great spot to shoot off a few rounds. I want a spot where shooters are allowed and were i could just a couple of tables a few chairs and have a nice time. I will always cleanup after myself when going shooting by using a bucket for shotgun shells and keeping the brass to resell for some money. So... Where can we shoot in Arizona?

Depends where in AZ you are. its a big place I know of several areas in the Yuma area that I shoot at every week when I am down there in the winter.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I am in Glendale. I used to shoot in Goodyear near mc-85 and cotton lane. They told me it was private land even though they had no clear indications such as signs saying "no trespassing". How is Watson/Miller road doing? Can we go there?

Hopefully some one in that area can be helpful to you.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

I'm looking to purchase about 40 acres of land somewhere near flagstaff. From what I have researched, it seems to me that I would be within my rights to be able to build a shooting range on my own property. Would I be correct in this?
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    I'm looking to purchase about 40 acres of land somewhere near flagstaff. From what I have researched, it seems to me that I would be within my rights to be able to build a shooting range on my own property. Would I be correct in this?
    Good that you are researching first.

There are way too many unknowns and variables IMO to give you a simple yes/no answer.

You should want to know what the specific applicable local municipality says as to the legality and what procedures if any will need to be satisfied. Seldom do we have unfettered rights on our little piece of heaven.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You do not have a right unfettered to have a range on your property. Real property is generally covered by community use standards and zoning restricted uses. There were recently on OCDO-Virginia stories of a frustrated property owner desiring a camp(er) site of some sort.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n-his-own-farm

Other considerations informed by a member of Grass Roots Gun Rights South Carolina's experience are; a private or commercial range, the community's nuisance ordinances, the topography of the site; and his main issue was insurance.

Hunter? Shooter? Who Is The Good Neighbor?
    http://www.scfirearms.org/Merchants/...rm/default.htm
    http://www.scfirearms.org/Merchants/...rm/garyfaq.htm
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-16-2015 at 07:48 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

We (AzCDL) just spent the last two sessions dealing with that issue. Last year we got HB 2483 passed that strengthened the ability to use firearms on private property. That said, it's not carte blanche and local zoning laws do come into play. The bill was the result of a county's (Coconino, where you want to build, if I recall correctly) effort to stop someone from building a range on their land.

Hire an attorney.

Fred

Shooting locations

Hi gunenthusiast. I live very close to you. There are plenty of places to shoot here in the Valley of the Sun. Just depends on how far you are willing to travel. I've had conversations with numerous shooters who use the public land up near Lake Pleasant. That's not too far from us. I use the Tonto National Forest. Sure it's about 70 miles from here, but it is gorgeous, mountainous (hence lots of backstop), and very deserted. I make an all day affair of it.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety - Benjamin Franklin
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good - George Washington

Make sure your 40 is out side the Flagstaff city limits every time I drive trough there I am amazed how far the city limits have been extended.

A very nice area for sure

Well when I say I want to buy some land, I'm talking that my nearest neighbor would probably be 40+ acres away from me. An example of property that I would be interested in purchasing would be this...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

http://www.landwatch.com/Apache-Coun.../pid/289305231

Another idea...

http://www.landwatch.com/Apache-Coun.../pid/289351211

or maybe something like this...

http://www.landwatch.com/Apache-Coun.../pid/289305382

http://www.landwatch.com/Apache-Coun.../pid/289305231
    http://www.landwatch.com/Apache-Coun.../pid/289351211
    http://www.landwatch.com/Apache-Coun.../pid/289305382

Woodland Valley Ranch has a Property Owners Association with a restrictive covenant that includes
    5. General Restrictions Applicable To All Parcels. 5.I. Nuisance Activities. The unnecessary, prolonged, or indiscriminate creation of noise, including road racing and loud music, dust, fumes or odors is prohibited. Hunting and the discharge of firearms shall be considered nuisances and are prohibited. Public events are prohibited.
    http://www.woodlandvalleyranchaz.com/5.html

http://www.woodlandvalleyranchaz.com...s/WVR+CCRs.pdf
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-16-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Woodland Valley Ranch has a Property Owners Association with a restrictive covenant that includes... /snip
    Property Owners Association? Forget that noise. I'll not have some idiots tell me what I can do on my land when I own it as long as I am abiding by state and federal law.
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 04-17-2015 at 04:52 AM.

Property Owners Association? Forget that noise. I'll not have some idiots tell me what I can do on my land when I own it as long as I am abiding by state and federal law.
    The POA Covenant is integral to the deed.

Better not buy in a POA then those covenants are a legal binding contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The POA Covenant is integral to the deed.
    What I ment to say is that I will not be purchasing any property that requires any membership to any home owners/property owners association, period.

What I do find interesting is this little tidbit.

"B. Each and every Parcel Owner, in accepting a deed or contract for any Parcel, whether or not it shall be so expressed in such deed or contract, automatically becomes a member of the Association, and agrees to be bound by such reasonable rules and regulations as may, from time to time, be established by the Association."
    If something is not clearly stated/expressed in a deed or contract that one signs, and the person signs said deed/contract, how can said person be legally required to abide by said requirement?

And with that, I return to the original topic. My original point being that to the best of my knowledge, Arizona State law states that the discharge of firearms is prohibited within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure or a structure that one can reasonably expect to be occupied. That being said, if I own land with a house on said land and there is no other legal requirements, and I am the sole occupant of said property and structure/home, I may legally discharge firearms for recreation on my land as long as I abide by all applicable LAWS.
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 04-17-2015 at 05:57 AM.

How far out from Phoenix-metro are you willing to drive? I usually drive out past the Queen Valley area to shoot. I've done it dozens of times as well as hunted in the area and have never had any problems with the law, let alone really even seen it. Unfortunately, many people use our beautiful desert as their personal dumping ground and simply leave all their trash, targets, etc. out there when they are done. As a result, the law is becoming a lot less tolerant to shooting enthusiasts; as is usually the case in life (especially the government approach), it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil it for everyone.

Also, you may encounter some reluctance among posters to share their shooting spots online as the general consensus is that the more people who become privy to its existence, the greater the likelihood of it getting shut down by fools who shoot road signs and leave trash in the desert.

Well when I do buy my piece of paradise, I'll be setting up an outdoor range for both pistols and rifles/shotguns and I'd be more then willing to let others share as long as people do clean up after themselves.