• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO uses vehicle as weapon

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The Truth

copy + pasted from another thread

One on hand you've got a psycho cop willing to mow someone down with his car. On the other hand, the guy was apparently a very dangerous, violent, armed individual who was also likely a psycho. Even in another thread we have covered how TN v. Garner allows deadly force when apprehending a suspect who basically fits this guy's description to a T. Personally, I don't feel good about the fact that this is acceptable - and it seems cruel and unusual, but legally is it really a crime?

Would the alternative have been safer or more humane - the alternative probably being gunfight in a residential area? It's just hard for me to lump in the vehicular assault case with these unarmed people being shot to death. Is it disturbing nonetheless? Absolutely.

Also, if the guy was thinking of killing people and likely police officers, how did this not save lives?

Just trying to play devil's advocate here since I usually take such a hard line on these issues.

WalkingWolf

I wish Darren Wilson had used his vehicle, but then I believe he was incompetent as a police officer.

All he had to do was drive away when Brown allegedly attacked him.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My reason for posting this was more to point out (remind) that anything can be used as a weapon - guess I didn't make that clear.

Not attacking or defending any of the parties to the event.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Maybe the tail-end of the other thread can be moved here? They're sorta related, but it might be better for each thread to be separate.

Cava3r4

the guy stole a weapon, then went about the hood shooting it!
so, what IF he shot into your house and hit your kid? (hypothetical question....not an attack on you!)
what IF?................ Put your favorite scenario here.

The LEO went home safe and sound and put an end to the criminal activity.
I have NO PROBLEMS with that.

Last edited: