• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attempted robbery of OCer in Washington state WalMart!

paramedic70002

http://bearingarms.com/felon-attack...gpfbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=gpupdate

A 32-year-old man who was shopping with at least three children at a Yakima Wal-Mart was the victim of an unprovoked assault when a stranger picked up a metal tee-ball bat and struck him, according to Yakima police.

The attacker swung full force for his head.
The gun was carried “open Carry”
It was a 357 sig We think this person was trying to get the handgun by knockout hitting him in the head with a aluminum bat.
He side stepped the blow and took the impact in the neck and shoulder he is receiving Dr.s treatment.

The Truth

Interesting...

Bill-Hader-Eating-Popcorn-Smiling-SNL.gif

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No facts known that I can see as to why this happened - all supposition.

Comments on the link are the common OC v. CC replies.

utbagpiper

Banned
Even if the facts are as reported, this falls into the category of "first time for everything" or "a couple of exceptions prove the rule." Who among us hasn't heard someone swear that he (or his friend's cousin's husband) was saved in a car crash only because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and was thrown clear of the burning or sinking car? Yet anyone who can do any math at all knows that wearing a seat belt is overwhelmingly more likely to save your live and reduce injuries in a crash than to be more harmful.

Similar stats are one reason we choose to own guns. The antis trumpet their numbers about how many people are injured with their own or a family member's guns. Ignoring some dishonest terms that grossly inflate numbers, there is some truth to these claims. I'm more likely to be injured in a car crash if I own a car; those who fly are more likely to die in a plane crash than those who don't fly; I'm more likely to be electrocuted if I live in a home with electricity; I'm more likely to suffer a gas explosion if my home is plumbed for natural gas or propane; and I'm more likely to be injured with a gun if I own and shoot guns than if I don't. But that is only one side of the equation.

Owning a car gives me tremendous transportational freedom and opportunities not afforded me if I don't own a car. This opens up work/income opportunities I would not otherwise have. In some cases, owning a car may well allow me to live in a much safer neighborhood than would be possible if I had to rely upon peddle power or mass transit to get to work each day. Flying commercial is the safest (if one of the lessor comfortable) form of transportation available. I'm much safer flying cross country than I am driving, walking, etc. Not to mention the time savings. Similarly, for the risks associated with having electricity, natural gas, or propane in my home, there are tremendous benefits and certain reduction of other risks.

In exactly the same way, while owning guns increases my risk of injury from a gun, it dramatically reduces my risks of being raped, mugged, or beaten to death during an assault. It also provides recreation and enjoyment, qualify family time together, and is an exercise of my rights.

In parallel fashion, if OCing a gun increases the risk of a gun being taken or being singled out for assault in a few rare cases, those risks/costs must be weighed against the benefits of OCing.

How many people are not assaulted because they are obviously armed?

How many people are armed and able to stop an assault when they otherwise might not be because OC is more comfortable than CC in certain circumstances?

On the flip side, there are times when CCing provides the opportunity to carry when OCing might not be practical, comfortable, or prudent for some (often social, sometimes legal) reason.

I really wish gun owners would be slower to find reasons to find fault with how others legally, peacefully carry. We have more than enough opponents/enemies without creating new opponents among those with whom we agree 95%+.

It seems the guy had decent (not perfect, but decent) SA and was able to defend himself appropriately. Whether the felon targeted him to get his gun, to get his wallet, or to avenge some imagined offense, matters very little until the incidence of being targeted for the gun became far more prevalent than they have been or currently seem to be.

Charles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
From the...ahem...article: While open carry is legal in most parts of the nation, comparatively few people who have the option exercise it, and almost none who have considerable self-defense training take this route. Well-trained gun owners instead preferring to carry concealed so as to maintain anonymity so that they don’t stand out as a target for criminals and retain the tactical advantage of being armed, but not visibly so.

Oh? So, now OCers are not well-trained? None have "considerable self-defense training"?

Its one thing to argue CC vs OC. Its something else to slap OCers in the face.

utbagpiper

Banned
Oh? So, now OCers are not well-trained? None have "considerable self-defense training"?

Its one thing to argue CC vs OC. Its something else to slap OCers in the face.

Funny thing is, I read the same line and considered it a slap against the training of uniformed police officers. :)

Charles

The Truth

I've got to call out the pink giant elephant in the room... isn't the father who was not even there the one who prognosticated that the bad guy was trying to steal an OC'd weapon? Not saying it's untrue, but I'd rather hear it from the bad guy himself. Also, didn't the OCer perform a citizen's arrest on the bad guy at gun point and no one was seriously injured or killed due to the OCer's situational awareness? Bad guy tried to "sucker punch" him so to speak with a baseball bat to the head and OCer was able to avert serious injury. I'd say that's a pretty well-trained OCer.

Also, the Yakima Herald headline is completely inaccurate. Also, doesn't WA have permitless OC?

decklin

Read about this the other day on NWFA but there was no mention of open carry. If that had been the case it would've been all over tv by now.
The article they linked said the attacker was a transient. Who the hell knows what he was really after? As far as I'm concerned this was not about open carry.

solus

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/la...-concealed-weapon-stops-bat-wielding-attacker

first, it occurred in the store, in the sporting goods department.
second, the victim was hit in the shoulder
third, nice touch with a physical description of the firearm the victim was carrying in his holster.
fourth, no mention of victim OC'g or of the perp going for the victim's gun. store video captured event.

elephant shot and killed 'the truth'...as the original poster's article is pure bunk!!! sorry
ipse

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
SNIP We can certainly assume that at least the author of the article is very anti-open carry.
Or as they call it, "very tactical". :rolleyes:

I think Bob Owens' byline was on it. If that is correct, I didn't recall his being so "tactical" but then most of his stuff I read is either technical or political not, OC/CC toe stuffs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Walker was openly carrying his .357 Sig Sauer pistol in a holster that day because he said it was too warm to put on a jacket to cover it. Walker has had a concealed pistol license since March 2013, according to police."

"Court records show Zumwalt has no prior felony convictions. In March, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault in Yakima Municipal Court and was sentenced to five days in jail".

"He is scheduled to be arraigned in Superior Court April 27."

http://www.yakimaherald.com/home/3087243-8/charges-filed-in-wal-mart-bat-attack

OC Freedom

If you happen to be in Yakima, its best to always be aware of your surroundings at all times. Yakima, Washington is like the Compton or Watts of Kalifornia, don't go outside after dark and be heavily armed always.

Dave Workman

Hey, we don't really know if this was an attempted robbery, or just a nutball attack, or what. The alleged perp has now been charged.

Felony charge filed in Yakima bat attack on armed citizen

A 20-year-old man identified as Trevor Zumwalt was charged yesterday in Yakima County Superior Court with felony assault for allegedly attacking an openly-armed citizen at a Wal-Mart last Saturday.

http://www.examiner.com/article/felony-charge-filed-yakima-bat-attack-on-armed-citizen

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is why I don't usually OC in the Yakima Valley, or at least not in my town.

This? To what does "this" refer? Do you really expect to be struck with a baseball bat for OCing?

Point of fact - we do not yet know what precipitated the attack.

WalkingWolf

I got news for these anti OC idiots, most criminals who are about to commit a crime, LOOK TO SEE WHO IS CARRYING. It is not hard to spot, most of us do it out of SA. I can pretty much bet criminals do also. IF he was OCing and this criminal was going for his gun, I doubt CC would have stopped the criminal.

But there is no mention of the OC in the news report, and a poster CLAIMING to be his father is not credible at all.