Thread: Carry at nra

Carry at nra

I read in the media, and by by the lying gun prohibitionist, that carry was not going to be allowed at the NRA convention. So I thought "typical", and curse the NRA.

Now I read a gun writer say that carry and OC was definitely allowed. Now I do need to know if the ones allowed was LE, or just sneak by's. Was carry allowed at the convention???

If it was, then I owe the NRA an apology. I am truly sorry for falling for the lies that the GUN prohibitionist told
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    I read in the media, and by by the lying gun prohibitionist, that carry was not going to be allowed at the NRA convention. So I thought "typical", and curse the NRA.

Now I read a gun writer say that carry and OC was definitely allowed. Now I do need to know if the ones allowed was LE, or just sneak by's. Was carry allowed at the convention???

If it was, then I owe the NRA an apology. I am truly sorry for falling for the lies that the GUN prohibitionist told
    <shakes head>

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    [ ... ] If it was, then I owe the NRA an apology. I am truly sorry for falling for the lies that the GUN prohibitionist told
    The Devil is in the details. It depends of which particular event venue is on point. One of the events overwhelmed the gun-carry venue and a no-gun venue was the alternative. I believe that the event HQ is gun-carry.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Vendors had to have their displayed guns rendered inoperative - safety factor.

Those attending the convention were indeed able to carry fully operative and loaded in accordance with state law, except for one musical venue (at different location) that was the only available site with enough capacity.

Bottom line - the NRA did not trade or give away our rights.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...its-convention
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Bottom line - the NRA did not trade or give away our rights.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...its-convention
    This time.

I still have not forgiven S&W or the NRA.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    This time.

stay safe.
    Donna shoot the messenger, was just reparteeing circumstance.

Wasn't that the old S&W and the old NRA?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    This time.

stay safe.

Maybe Skid you should up date your information bank a bit.

The S@W that tried to screw us was owned by a British firm at that time.

We drove them to near bankruptcies.

They sold out now different people are running and we haven't seen any anti gun stuff from the new owners.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

The Clinton era agreement that led to S&W's Code of Conduct is still in effect as is the Code of Conduct. There is no affirmative statement from Smith & Wesson or owner Saf-T Hammer rescinding the agreement or the Code.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    It appears that it will be the same situation next year in Louisville. The main part of the Annual Meeting will be held at the Ky. State Fairgrounds and Exposition Center, while some speeches and (presumably) entertainment will be held at the KFC Yum Center, downtown. The Fairgrounds is carry friendly. The Yum Center is not. Now is the time to start protesting this decision, not next summer. It will be too late then.
    Of course I agree with your sentiment here gutshot. However it seems like very few arena/concert venues of that type are ever NOT posted against carry. Especially if they're privately owned.

Not trying to over-paint with a fat brush, just been my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I think this is correct, albeit regrettable. The Yum Center is not "privately owned" and I still don't like it, as a Kentuckian and as a NRA life member. There is a workable alternative. The Fairgrounds has more than adequate facilities. Freedom Hall could be used for the speeches and entertainment.

The last time it was here. That stuff, as well as the dinner, was held at the Convention Center and both were carry friendly. As I posted before that facility is undergoing renovation and probably will be unavailable.

The solution to all of this is to make the Yum Center change its policies.
    If the Yum Center isn't privately owned, then how is it that weapons can be disallowed?

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    If the Yum Center isn't privately owned, then how is it that weapons can be disallowed?
    The KFC Yum Center appears to still be owned my an "authority" (Louisville Arena Authority) created by the then governor Ernie Fletcher.
    http://www.kfcyumcenter.com/arena-in...rena-authority

In Virginia an "authority" is the same as a municipality/city/county and is included in those entities restricted from exceeding state law, specifically preemption. From all that I have seen, this is the case in Kentucky also.

A quick note about when to complain:

For an event like the NRAAM there is usually a lead time of 3 years in booking venues and arranging blocks of hotel/motel rooms. That means that not only is next year's location known, the sites coming under contract for the next 2 years are known, and sites being considered beyond that time frame can be found out.

Being as the 2016 NRAAM is already under contract there is little chance of getting it changed. The 2017 site is probably down to the final two and it will take a mighty powerful reason to start over at this point. 2018 is the first time NRA members will have a good chance of impacting the AM site selection decision.

Given the priority NRA places on the ability of its members to OC at the NRAAM I do not think there is going to be as much attention paid to OCing as it will be to being able to carry (CC of course being the only other option) at all.

This can be changed. But it is going to take some conserted effort - and not by just one small group of OCers. Gun rights organizations seen as "THE" dog in the fight from more than a simple majority of the states are going to need to be in this battle. For some that may mean giving up a cherished feeling that the NRA does not represent them at their individual state level, or that the NRA has once too often come in and put the kibosh on one of the state organization's objectives. It also means that OCers are going to have to buddy up with CCers and hunters and target shooters and collectors - all of whom are neutral at best but more likely to be opposed to the notion of OCing.

For OCers this means getting a foot in the door of "THE" state gun rights organization and getting their membership behind the issue so that the leadership becomes convinced that it really is a statewide issue of importance. That means getting access to newsletters/blogs/web site presence and attending both regional and annual membership meetings as well as making it a criteria for election/reelection of the board of directors. How to do that should be spelled out, or at least hinted at, in the organization's bylaws.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit