• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at nra

papa bear

I read in the media, and by by the lying gun prohibitionist, that carry was not going to be allowed at the NRA :uhoh:convention. So I thought "typical", and curse the NRA.

Now I read a gun writer say that carry and OC was definitely allowed. Now I do need to know if the ones allowed was LE, or just sneak by's. Was carry allowed at the convention???

If it was, then I owe the NRA an apology. I am truly sorry for falling for the lies that the GUN prohibitionist told

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I read in the media, and by by the lying gun prohibitionist, that carry was not going to be allowed at the NRA :uhoh:convention. So I thought "typical", and curse the NRA.

Now I read a gun writer say that carry and OC was definitely allowed. Now I do need to know if the ones allowed was LE, or just sneak by's. Was carry allowed at the convention???

If it was, then I owe the NRA an apology. I am truly sorry for falling for the lies that the GUN prohibitionist told
<shakes head>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Vendors had to have their displayed guns rendered inoperative - safety factor.

Those attending the convention were indeed able to carry fully operative and loaded in accordance with state law, except for one musical venue (at different location) that was the only available site with enough capacity.

Bottom line - the NRA did not trade or give away our rights.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...the-nra-really-banning-guns-at-its-convention

Firearms Iinstuctor

This time.

I still have not forgiven S&W or the NRA.

stay safe.

Maybe Skid you should up date your information bank a bit.

The S@W that tried to screw us was owned by a British firm at that time.

We drove them to near bankruptcies.

They sold out now different people are running and we haven't seen any anti gun stuff from the new owners.

Brian D.

It appears that it will be the same situation next year in Louisville. The main part of the Annual Meeting will be held at the Ky. State Fairgrounds and Exposition Center, while some speeches and (presumably) entertainment will be held at the KFC Yum Center, downtown. The Fairgrounds is carry friendly. The Yum Center is not. Now is the time to start protesting this decision, not next summer. It will be too late then.

Of course I agree with your sentiment here gutshot. However it seems like very few arena/concert venues of that type are ever NOT posted against carry. Especially if they're privately owned.

Not trying to over-paint with a fat brush, just been my observation.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I think this is correct, albeit regrettable. The Yum Center is not "privately owned" and I still don't like it, as a Kentuckian and as a NRA life member. There is a workable alternative. The Fairgrounds has more than adequate facilities. Freedom Hall could be used for the speeches and entertainment.

The last time it was here. That stuff, as well as the dinner, was held at the Convention Center and both were carry friendly. As I posted before that facility is undergoing renovation and probably will be unavailable.

The solution to all of this is to make the Yum Center change its policies.
If the Yum Center isn't privately owned, then how is it that weapons can be disallowed?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If the Yum Center isn't privately owned, then how is it that weapons can be disallowed?

The KFC Yum Center appears to still be owned my an "authority" (Louisville Arena Authority) created by the then governor Ernie Fletcher.
http://www.kfcyumcenter.com/arena-information/louisville-arena-authority

In Virginia an "authority" is the same as a municipality/city/county and is included in those entities restricted from exceeding state law, specifically preemption. From all that I have seen, this is the case in Kentucky also.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A quick note about when to complain:

For an event like the NRAAM there is usually a lead time of 3 years in booking venues and arranging blocks of hotel/motel rooms. That means that not only is next year's location known, the sites coming under contract for the next 2 years are known, and sites being considered beyond that time frame can be found out.

Being as the 2016 NRAAM is already under contract there is little chance of getting it changed. The 2017 site is probably down to the final two and it will take a mighty powerful reason to start over at this point. 2018 is the first time NRA members will have a good chance of impacting the AM site selection decision.

Given the priority NRA places on the ability of its members to OC at the NRAAM I do not think there is going to be as much attention paid to OCing as it will be to being able to carry (CC of course being the only other option) at all.

This can be changed. But it is going to take some conserted effort - and not by just one small group of OCers. Gun rights organizations seen as "THE" dog in the fight from more than a simple majority of the states are going to need to be in this battle. For some that may mean giving up a cherished feeling that the NRA does not represent them at their individual state level, or that the NRA has once too often come in and put the kibosh on one of the state organization's objectives. It also means that OCers are going to have to buddy up with CCers and hunters and target shooters and collectors - all of whom are neutral at best but more likely to be opposed to the notion of OCing.

For OCers this means getting a foot in the door of "THE" state gun rights organization and getting their membership behind the issue so that the leadership becomes convinced that it really is a statewide issue of importance. That means getting access to newsletters/blogs/web site presence and attending both regional and annual membership meetings as well as making it a criteria for election/reelection of the board of directors. How to do that should be spelled out, or at least hinted at, in the organization's bylaws.

stay safe.