Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on magazine.

Recommendation on magazine.

If a guy (or gal) was to make a 1911 their carry gun, what magazine would you rely on? I've tried the Mec-Gar, cheap, and with a little spring pruning is fairly reliable on ball ammo. With any flat nose such as truncated or SWC, they nose dive into the feed ramp and stall. If I drop down from the full 8 to 5 or 6 rounds, the reliability goes way up but still not 100%. Betwixt the Wilson, Chip McCormick, and the Tripp Cobra, what is the most reliable? Or any other recommendations. An arm that fails to feed any ammo at hand 100% of the time is usless for self defense carry. Is asking for a semi auto to be as reliable as a revolver too much to ask for?

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

When I'm not carrying a revolver, I'm carrying a 1911. Wilson magazines are where it's at. Cry once. That said, Chip McCormick mags are also at the same level, and I have several of his 10-round extended ones.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Wilsons. I use them in steel matches and for the carry gun. No issues. I think I have 1 or 2 chips also. No Issues. My colt factory run good as well. And whatever Rock Island uses have been fine also.

If you want to shoot some different 1911s let me know. I have 45 full and compact the wife has a 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    Wilsons. I use them in steel matches and for the carry gun. No issues. I think I have 1 or 2 chips also. No Issues. My colt factory run good as well. And whatever Rock Island uses have been fine also.

If you want to shoot some different 1911s let me know. I have 45 full and compact the wife has a 9.
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe we can go out shooting some evening or weekend and maybe you'll let me try one of your Wilson's in my 1911 to see how it works. You and Mac both like the Wilson's. Do you shoot a variety of ammo, flat points, hollow points, ball?

I've ordered one of the Tripp Cobra's to try as I read some good things about it and the head of the company.

TBG

I run lead, plated round nose. Also SWC no issues.

What mac and Steve said, Also I have had no issues with Colt, Springfield or Remington. The blue does come off the Remington mags, but they operate well. My favorite is the Colts, Funny because I do not have a Colt pistol. Here is my go to for Mags:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/...l#.VTEvlJO21fk

If your training includes throwing mags on the ground I recommend a few of these:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/...l#.VTExCJO21fk

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post

I have a new 9mm mag that I cannot use as I do not own a 1911 in 9mm we will have to get together again sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    What mac and Steve said, Also I have had no issues with Colt, Springfield or Remington. The blue does come off the Remington mags, but they operate well. My favorite is the Colts, Funny because I do not have a Colt pistol. Here is my go to for Mags:

If your training includes throwing mags on the ground I recommend a few of these:

Thanks for the info. It's strange but I have read bad things about all those (Wilson, Chip, Colt, Springfield, Remington), but others like you, Mac, and Steve speak highly of them. I think a lot of it seems to depend on matching them up with certain firearms. I've noted people seem to have trouble getting mags to work well in some of the real high end 1911's which I find weird. I've thought about polishing the feed ramp on mine to see if that helps however it actually is quite smooth as it is.

As I have said, I ordered one of the Cobra's to try, and will try to get my hands on a variety of others to try. Just wondered what others found work for them. I'm shooting my roll your own truncated cone, 225 grain lead.

By the way, what do you guys use for defensive rounds?

TBG

I have a new 9mm mag that I cannot use as I do not own a 1911 in 9mm we will have to get together again sometime soon.
    Maybe next week we could meet up for a few and I will buy it from you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post

By the way, what do you guys use for defensive rounds?

TBG
    I use 230 grain ball. I have in the past used some HP that winchester made in a white box.

I also buy from these guys http://www.xtremebullets.com/45-s/48048.htm and http://www.rmrbullets.com/ rockymountain reloading.
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 04-17-2015 at 02:47 PM.

...By the way, what do you guys use for defensive rounds?...
    230-grain cast lead round nose (from Rocky Mountain Reloading) on top of 4.3 grains of Bullseye, the same load that I use in all my practice and competitions.

But as I come across them, my magazines have fed hollow points, including the original Speer Gold Dot, which used to be the biggest cavity available (they are much more rounded now), and SWC with no issues.

There was something that didn't work very well with the OEM magazine on my Kimber, but it was so long ago I don't remember what it was, and I've long since lost that magazine since I was never using it. It's had Wilsons in it ever since.
    Last edited by MAC702; 04-17-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

The Kimbers don't care what mag is used. Kimber, Wilson, McCormick, or cheap C-Mags I got for the range. Works fine. The Springfield LW Operator is finicky about locking back consistently on anything except Wilson Combat which work 100%. I know, right? Doesn't make sense but other folks at the 1911 forum have found the problem with others from Springfield too.

For SD I use Winchester Ranger 230 gr JHP. POA/POI is identical to 230 FMJ target ammo and it expands well.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

I tend to "Dutch Load" I have JHP's and ball ammo, as well as frangible thrown in quite often. sometimes I just carry FMJ's. FMJ's are probably the most versatile If your bad guy goes for light cover, while remaining a threat. I sometimes feel that carrying "specialty ammo" has me feeling like I know the parameters of my attack, and therefore should have been able to avoid it.

I second these magazines. The Colt magazine (AKA "Hybrid lip" or "Hybrid" magazine) is made by Checkmate Industries. You can get them from TopGunSupply for less than from Colt, and for a bit less than from Checkmate (they have a problem with not running enough of them at any given moment). I'm in the process of phasing out my Checkmate WC feed lips for the hybrid lips (storing them for if and when I ever start running wadcutters).

You could try one just to see how it runs. Here's where I bought/buy my hybrids from:

7rd, SS, Hybrid lips (sometimes not out of stock)
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-ma...-magazine.html

7rd, SS, Hybrid lips, Checkmate follower

8rd, SS, Hybrid lips

7rd, SS, GI lips

I should warn you: the "8-round" hybrid magazines I bought were in reality 7-rounder bodies with a different follower. While I've never had problems with the 8 rounds, I only load them with seven FMJ rounds for carry.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/conclusion.html

Quote Originally Posted by How I Did It article
    My favorite discovery to come out of this whole experiment was the performance of USGI feed lips with ball ammo. The rounded profile of FMJ bullets works perfectly with the angles of the full-length feed lips to produce an unbelievably smooth feed. Chambering a round feels like you're dropping the slide on an empty chamber.

Even better, control over the cartridge is absolute. When taking photos, I discovered that it was impossible to push the slide forward slowly enough to misfeed the round. Momentum was never a part of feeding, so the entire process is controlled solely by geometry. To put it another way, the slide can be under-lubed, undersprung, or just plain dirty, but as long as it is physically capable of returning to battery, it will not jam. This is pretty much the Platonic ideal of controlled feed principles--which is only appropriate, seeing as how John Browning wrote the book on controlled feed in handguns.
    SNIP...
    Here's another conclusion (compares it to the Wilson 47D magazine too):
    http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/conclusion.html

I'd recommend reading the other articles on Mr. Kaukl's website, as it makes for some good, knowledgeable entertainment (he's a really funny guy).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-19-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Links, clarification, etc.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Granted, I shoot .460R out of my 1911 so it's a little different, but I have only tried stock Sig 1911 mags and Mec-Gar 11rd extended mags. The Mec-Gars are currently in the garbage can where they belong. Never had a FTF from the Sig mags - shot everything from lead hard cast flat nose 255 grainers to 185 grain Noslers, with 200 grain Lehigh Extreme Penetrators and 230 grain Gold Dots in between.

Everyone keeps telling me to buy a couple Wilsons, that they work without issue. I need to get on that...been looking for an extended mag that will work with .460R for quite some time. I was very disappointed with the Mec-Gar 11 rounders. Had to take the Dremel to them just to get the to fit right, and even with more modification to help with feeding issues I just couldn't get them to work. Stupid me, I bought 3 of them.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

1911?

Damn, you guys must be old. revolvers and 1911s......

Got my new CobraMag today. I have not shot it yet but I have cycled rounds through it and so far so good. The flat points seem to cycle well in it as compared to the Mec-Gar magazines. Of couse the ball rounds work flawlessly as well. Don't have any HP to try but I gotta figure if the flat points feed so should the HP's.

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by At Ease View Post
    Just trying to keep up with the Marines...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/s...pistol-review/
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post

The Jar heads are showing a little style... All except for that awful trigger. It was a tough sell for me to allow polymer on my 1911 but I cannot get enough of my STI polymer triggers. I bet the younger crowd would approve!

Got my new CobraMag today. I have not shot it yet but I have cycled rounds through it and so far so good. The flat points seem to cycle well in it as compared to the Mec-Gar magazines. Of couse the ball rounds work flawlessly as well. Don't have any HP to try but I gotta figure if the flat points feed so should the HP's.

TBG
    Let us know how they perform.

I like how oddly specific the request for a new firearm was:
    "Ummm, we want something chambered in .45 ACP, with a capacity of about exactly 7 rounds in a single stack configuration, and that uses those spare 1911 magazines we have laying around. Let us know what you can find."
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 04-21-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Omitted the part about the Series 80 Firing Pin Safety, as it is a personal preference that deviates from the subject matter
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Last edited by DON`T TREAD ON ME; 04-21-2015 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Post was "Catty" could have alienated some firearms enthusiasts.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the comment section.

That's a good looking pistol, but seems like just a piece of jewelry for an officer. 7 round mags? Meh. I don't even like carrying 8 rounders. I guess for a Marine a sidearm is just a SHTF BUG.

Looks oddly similar to mine

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Magazines are the weak spot of a 1911, and I've tried 'em all.

At this point the only magazines I will trust in a carry gun are Checkmate mags with GI feed lips.

Quote Originally Posted by At Ease View Post
    ???

I've carried a 1911 since I turned 21 (which wasn't all that long ago).

Plus, for all the new models of firearms out there, basically nothing has been added to the fighting pistol that John Moses Browning didn't think of for the 1911. The major exception is double-stack magazines (which JMB thought of for the Browning Hi-Power), but several makers sell double-stack 1911s.

The few remaining exceptions (accessory rails) can be found on 1911s, as well.

I would say, "damn, you must be young", but that conveys little. More apt might be, "damn, you must be a member of today's generation, who apparently believes their world is a blank slate and age inversely correlates with value."

Folks like you are why Youtube has such terrible comments.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-21-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Yeah, the 'old' comment seems a bit unwarranted, although I understand the way of thinking.

1911s are pretty much a must-have for anyone who desires a small collection of some of the most classic, reliable pistols ever made. There's a reason almost every manufacturer has their own "version" of a 1911.

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast